Logan Departures

Old Aug 4th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Logan Departures

Logan is not my favorite airport but price decrees I fly out of Logan for my next flight. The best way for me to get to Logan is to take a bus arriving either at 8:10am (too early) or 9:05 am. The flight is on United leaving at 10:35am. Massport says you should arrive 2 hrs early for a domestic flight.
9:05 is only 1 1/2 hours early and the last time I did a United Flight out of Logan, United had changed my schedule which required a human being to check me in. No quick kiosk service. I also had trouble on the return which also required calling United to have someone "fix" my return schedule. Even though it displayed correctly on the internet, the check-in process could not find my reservation.

I'd really like to avoid missing my flight if getting thru security takes so long. Would you dare arrive at 9:05 for a 10:35am flight? Experienced Logan folks, please advise.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 09:15 AM

Will you have luggage to check?

How often are hte buses on time?

I wold never arrive with less time than the airline recos - if there's a problem - they you're at fault - and it can get very expensive.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 11:11 AM

I'd arrive at 8.10am.

I'd rather be 20 minutes early than miss my flight.
I generally err on the side of caution and allow extra time to get to Logan and I live about 30 miles west of Boston.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 11:43 AM
yk

Where's the bus coming from? Does it usually run on time?

Are you saying that your upcoming flight will require checking in at the desk and you won't be able to check in online?

Honestly, I think you'll be fine w/the later bus. However, if you're someone who tend to worry a lot, take the earlier bus and bring a book to read.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 12:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Sassy cat wrote my answer verbatim.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 01:43 PM

Assuming everything runs on time, I'd say arriving at 9:05 will be fine. Arriving 2 hours early often is not really necessary for a domestic flight, in my experience. For example, I flew out of Logan a month ago (although not on United) and 1.5 hours early was plenty of time to wait in line to check luggage and go through security.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have flown United, though, so it might be different with them.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 02:37 PM

Well, I'd arrive at 9:05. I fly out of Logan often and I always arrive about 45 min before my flight and have never had a problem. I realize that's a little too close for comfort for some but 1.5 hrs is PLENTY of time.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 02:56 PM
JBX

I have family in Bow, NH and often when they fly out of BOS, will come down the day before to stay overnight in Boston ....... so my suggestion would be to opt for the earlier bus.

Is your flight during work week, or on weekends? Guessing that traffic is heavier driving from NH on week days ...... even if route allows for "commuter" lanes, an accident can still cause a serious slowdown.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 03:01 PM

I think 1.5 hours is generally enough time at Logan except if it's a holiday or a day or two before or after a holiday, or if it's one of the 7:00 a.m. Friday, Saturday or Sunday flights heading to the Caribbean. I try to schedule flights departing at 10:30 or a little later as those times seem to be less busy at the airport. I miss a little traffic that way, too. For a domestic flight I rarely allow more than an hour and a half. You should be fine assuming your bus isn't too late.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 03:10 PM
cw

Friends who often fly domestically always plan on getting to the Logan 1 to 1 1/4 hours ahead. What does the United website say?

A lot depends on if it's a busy day too. I'm more cautious so would probably opt for the earlier bus and plan on having breakfast but you'll probably be fine with the later bus, though, of course, no one can tell you with certainty.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 03:29 PM

Two thoughts - you should know 24 hours in advance whether or not you can check in successfully on-line - so perhaps your final bus decision can be made then.

But more importantly, the traffic from north of Boston has been horrific this summer - due largely to the multi-overpass/bridge replacement on I93. They close from 2-all lanes of I93 in one or both directions, with detours onto city streets from Friday 8 PM - Monday 5 AM. At least that is what they say. In reality, there are lane closures anytime other than true rush hour - last night returning from Red Sox game (Wednesday evening) at about 10PM traffic was backed up for at least 5 miles in both directions around Medford for such work. Even if you detour to Rte 1, so does everyone else.

So bus is likely to be later than usual. I am always nervous about missing a flight - if it were me I would go for the earlier arrival.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 05:46 PM

gail beat me to it. Your bus could be delayed in rush hour traffic, esp bcs of the mess on 93. I would definitely plan to arrive on the earlier one. Better to have to kill time at the airport than be super stressed sitting in traffic worried about missing your flight.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 08:47 PM

gail - They must have finished work early last weekend, as I took I-93 south from 128 starting about 11 PM Sunday night and saw NO workers or road construction equipment the whole way down to South Station!
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
90 minutes is probably fine on Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday but cutting it close on Friday, Sunday and Mondays.

But why worry, just arrive on the flight that's 55 minutes earlier and plan to enjoy breakfast or a nice dump in a busy, stinky restroom.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. It will be a Thurs and will probably only have carry on luggage. In the past, the bus has always been on time but I would probably worry esp now knowing about I93 construction. And maybe flying American this time.

I think what happened was my boarding pass printed out ok at home but because the flight was delayed that day United had to change me to an American connecting flight ... which I missed because of additional delays so this time I decided I better take an earlier flight.

I'll opt for the earlier bus and enjoy time to read.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 04:33 AM

8:10 is not too early. You made the 'safe' choice I would say! It's much better to have more time to allow for the unforeseen. (A good general always has reserves....)
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 07:07 AM

I think 90 minutes is cutting it too close, particularly with the ongoing construction that could result in the bus being late. Only you can decide whether you'd rather have an extra 55 minutes to spare or risk missing your flight.

But, what bus? With Flightline Park/Ride, you can schedule a pickup any time you wish.