Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How difficult is it to get from Narita airport to Haneda airport?

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning my first trip to Japan and I have a potential direct flight reserved Chicago to Narita, but my ultimate destination is Fukoaka and I can't get a flight from Narita to Fukoaka using miles. The agent is telling me I have to go Haneda to Fukoaka, but I am very concerned about getting from Narita airport to Haneda airport. It appears there is a 75 minute transit line, but does anyone know how difficult that is? If I am a first timer and after a 13 + hour flight, that could be very tricky? Am I better off just trying to buy a ticket outright from Narita to Fukoaka instead? Someone else said there could be a car service? Please help, I have to confirm my reservation by July 16 or I lose the ticket. Many thanks for any help!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 02:23 PM

It's fairly easy....just takes some time. If you have a lot of luggage I would take the limosine bus service. Get your tickets as you leave customs and board the bus right outside the doors. They load and unload your luggage for you and the service is door to door

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/tim...t_tokyu_h.html

You can also catch a train but will have to carry your luggage with you

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/access/train/index.html

Or you can catch a train and send your luggage ahead to Fukuoka via delivery service

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

The best would be if you could connect from Narita though.....good luck!

Aloha!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM

HT is right,...very easy. The limo bus can take some time, and although they say 75 minutes, there is the chance it could take MUCH longer. Nowadays, that is much rarer, as the navigation systems can pinpoint traffic jams and such, but still, it can happen. We've done the trip between the two airports many times, and only once did it take 3 hours, and that was years ago, but it pretty regularly takes 90 minutes or so.

A car service isn't cheap but it's an option. The price would certainly cancel out any savings you'd have had by having the award ticket.

Is the award to Fukuoka a separate award? If so, the RT is likely 15,000 miles...it is for us at least. For some routes it's a good deal (like to Okinawa or Hokkaido for example, which are very expensive routes) but other routes are around ¥10,000 each way, which doesn't make 15,000 miles a very good use of miles unless you are trying to burn them for some reason.

There are also special deals for tourists.
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/travel...l/airpass.html
http://www.jal.co.jp/yokosojapan/

It is, of course, much easier to connect through Narita, and since you need to allow at least 3 hours after you've gotten on the bus, you need to schedule 4-5 hours for the connection (including a bit of time should your flight be late, which is not uncommon from the US; immigration, customs, getting tickets for the next bus, which may be in 30 minutes if one just left; riding the bus; checking in for next flight).
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 01:19 AM

What airline are you flying to NRT and what time does it arrive?

There are flights from NRT to FUK but not as many as at HND. The ones from NRT, I am guessing, are probably scheduled as connections for incoming international flights operated by JAL and ANA, and maybe by their partners.

I see that ANA has a 10:46 departure from ORD and United has 11:56 and 12:49 departures, nonstop to NRT. All three connect to a 17:55 ANA flight to FUK.

You probably would find similar schedules with JAL and American.

If you are arriving too late to make one of those connections then you have the option of staying overnight at a NRT hotel and flying on FUK the next morning. Actually ANA only has two flights a day from NRT to FUK, the other being at 11:35. (Am looking at July 28 sked).

Hmm, if you are arriving to late to connect to a NRT-FUK flight then you could miss the HND-FUK flight. The 12:49 United flight arrives at 16:10 to connect to the 17:55 flight. If you arrive at that time, 16:10, and it takes 4 hours to get to a flight at Haneda then you wouldn't have a minute to spare to make the 20:10 last ANA flight that day from HND to FUK.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 01:46 AM

Using one of the special deals for tourists that KimJapan mentioned is really the way to go. If you are using JAL or American or partner then the one-way would cost 10,000 yen. If using ANA or United or partner then one way is 11,000. That's less than $95.

Even the two-coupon pass, if not flying any of those carriers, is a better deal than buying a one-way ticket.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU so much for the quick and very helpful responses - I really appreciate it. I am flying on United and supposedly there wasn't a ticket available from Narita to Fukuoka, but I called again tonight and they are checking again so I am very hopeful that will work on a connecting flight from NRT.

If I have any trouble with that, I may have follow-up questions on the special deals for tourists pointed out by KimJapan as I didn't see Narita to Fukuoka as one of the sample routes and had trouble searching on that link - thanks again for the help everyone!!
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:32 PM

If you don't get the award seat the just call ANA. Their number is here:
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/contact/index.html
Call them, tell them that you want a Star Alliance Japan Airpass with one coupon for NRT->FUK. Have your United ticket info handy. They will fix you up.

I've gotten those fares with ANA before and the ANA folks were incredibly flexible and helpful.

I vaguely recall reading the rules for those deals and in one case, maybe it was JAL or maybe it was ANA, the fare wasn't valid when using an award ticket to get to Japan. I think it was JAL but I mention it so that you won't be surprised. The rules may have changed.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:16 AM

I'm scheduled to connect between Narita and Haneda. Both flights are on JAL (same ticket). But the connection time is only 3hrs 20 mins. JAL says this is enough time. The comments above, however, make me concerned.

Do Fodorites think this is doable? I suppose I should try to have carry on luggage only to save some time. Any other suggestions?
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 07:19 AM

PS- I plan to take the airport limo bus. Would this be best?
It would be on a Sunday afternoon, if that makes a difference w/ traffic.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 10:19 AM

There are few absolute truths in the world, but this is one: if a Japanese travel company says there is enough time, then there is enough time.

Even if you check your bags, you are very likely to be out of immigration/customs within 25-30 minutes. Even if you have to wait 15-20 minutes for the next Haneda bus, that gives you well over 2 hours to get to the airport and through security. It's very unlikely that traffic would be a significant factor.