ASLA Bus Service

Search

ASLA Bus Service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ASLA Bus Service

Do the coach-style, city-to-city busses in Spain generally run on time? Obviously an accident or other road block could cause delays that you may not experience with trains. But are they known for mostly being on schedule?

Also, how early do you need to get to the bus staion before your departure? Do you have to deal with any security measures or other lines? Do you check your luggage or just put it into the storage area of the bus yourself?

My husband and I will be traveling via ALSA bus between Santander and San Sebastian on a Sunday morning in May. We have to be in SS for a 2 pm lunch reservation and one of the bus routes gets us there at 12:30 pm, which may not leave enough time to check in to our hotel and get to the restaurant outside of town - especially if the bus is running late. The other option is an early bus that leaves at 7 am and gets in at 10 am. This may be a safer bet, but am not loving the early morning time, especially if we have to check in extra early.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 09:49 AM

I have not traveled in those regions, but in Andalucia the buses were on time. We always walked up about 15 minutes before to buy tickets or even bought them from the driver. We put luggage under the bus ourselves.
I'd say it depends on how far the bus station is from your hotel and how long it will take to get to the restaurant. Otherwise should be fine.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 10:09 AM

The ALSA bus normally runs on time and the Santander to San Sebastian-Donostia route is on the A8-E70, the main highway, so there shouldn't be any major delays along the way.

You should be at the station at least 15 to 20 minutes before the scheduled departure, and I would advise buying your tickets ahead of time, if possible, so you know you have a seat. There is no security line.

You do not check your luggage, it goes underneath.

I wouldn't worry too much about being a little late for your 2:00 PM lunch reservation unless you're meeting someone. It's quite common for people to arrive late.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 10:54 AM

I have traveled in Alsa several times and it was always on time. I advise that you reserve/purchase your seat ahead of time to ensure you have one. I have been on buses that were completly full.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

We have lunch reservations at Akelarre so I'd hate to be too late!

I'm definitely going to make reservations in advance to ensure we have seats. And we may just take the early bus so we have some extra time in SS to get our bearings instead of being so rushed. Plus the earlier bus is about half the cost. Thanks again for your helpful advice!
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM

The later one is probably a Supra bus that makes less stops, they are more expensive.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Akelarre is about a 20-minute taxi ride from La Concha Beach. I don't think Subijana is going to worry if you're running a little late. After all you're going to be dropping enough to put a small dent into the foreign debt, but it’s well worth it.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 04:44 AM

My comment is can you check in to your accommodation that early. A lot of establishments may have a later time to allow them to clean the room. If you are lucky they may have a luggage cupboard, but do not bank on it.
The bus will only be late if there has been some heavy traffic as a result of things like accidents or road works.