Search

Loews Coronado in San Diego questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loews Coronado in San Diego questions

Hey,

I have booked a room at the Loews Coronado in San Diego for late January. I have never been to the west coast, so I'm looking forward to checking it out. We chose San Diego because we're hoping that it will be warm (preferably hot). I'm from Rhode Islnd, so anything above freezing during that time should work just right. I have an executive suite reserved. I'm told by Loews that it is 700 sq feet. That should be perfect for us. It will be my wife, daughter (11), son (9), and me.

I have a few questions, and I would basically like to hear from anyone that has ever been to this place before. How is the executive suite? Has anyone ever stayed there? Any pics? Is there lots of stuff to do in that area? What are your thoughts of visiting Tiajuana? I'm a little skeptical about crossing the border, but my wife wants to do it. Is this place good for kids? What are some good restauraunts in the area? Is Sea World worth the day? Are there any other fun things to do around there? Do I need to rent a car for 5 days? I probably will. Any info, or links to pics is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 07:00 PM

I've never stayed at the Loews but can tell you that it will not be hot in San Diego in January! Probably 60's. IMO, Tijuana is a waste of time. It's just a big tourist trap with a bunch of pushy salemen making you feel uncomfortable. It isn't an authentic Mexican atmosphere in the least. Seaworld, is great. You can easily spend a day there, depending on your love a sea creatures. We were pleasantly surprised with the food quality.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 07:35 PM

You can do a search in the search box for San Diego and tons of info and ideas will help you in making plans. I know from my last visit to S.D Lowels looked lovely but rather off the beaten path. You will need a car for sure. Re.January, beach weather will be out of the question. No it will not be hot, but as you say warmer then the East Coast. Sea World, the Zoo, museums in Balboa Park, is all worth the time. T.J. is o.k. but I wouldn't make it a priority. I think you will find a trip there to be a waste of time.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 07:46 PM

The hotel is very nice, never stayed in the executive suite, but the standard rooms are very nice. You most likely won't spend to much time in the room though, I would go to a place called Miguels on Corornado Island, good inexpensive, but good food there. You will have to drive there from Loews as that hotel is on a peninsula. Yes, you would spend the day at Sea World.
Make sure you also visit the Hotel Del Coronado, you can walk on the beach, have lunch or drinks in the louge or out on the deck overlooking the ocean. Have a great vacation! Whatever you do!
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 07:48 PM

You may get lucky and get hot weather, or it may be cold by San Diego standards...maybe low 60's or so, with nights in the 40's is bitter winter there!

You should get a car as the Loews is not right in Coronado, but about a couple minutes down the Strand.

The loews is really lovely...I've not stayed, but visited family members who did.

Tiajuana can be fun, but if you don't know where to go, it can be as described above...lots of the same merchandise and pushy sales people. If you do go, park on the US side and walk across to the busses. ride to Revolution/Constitution Avenues "Centro". Walk around, see the Long Bar, buy shoes (cheap) or go to a Jailai (sp?) game, then come home before dark.

In Coronado, rent bikes or a bike surrey, check out the Del, or just walk along the beach.

Peohes, Tent City, Mexican Village, and Miguels are all good places to eat in Coronado. Also Prima vera (it has a new name, but is right next door to Starbucks on Orange between 9th & 10th) has good breakfast or lunch.

Take the foot ferry (from 1st & Orange) to San Diego ($2) then tour the Star of India or shop at Horton Plaza.

Visit the musuems and the Zoo in Balboa park. You can go to Mission Beach and ride the big wooden roller coaster or rent bikes or skates and cruise the boardwalk for miles.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 08:23 AM
je

A couple of other ideas for restaurants in Coronado are Il Fornio, excellent Italian on the Bay, Spiro's down near the ferry landing for good informal Greek food. They have an outdoor heated patio. Bistro d'Asia on Orange Ave has interesting and very good dishes from several Asian countries.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like San Diego is a little chilly in January. I'm typing this with about 4 inches of snow sitting in my driveway waiting for me to break out my old snowblower, and it's still early in November, so at least we'll get a little break from the cold. I want to check out the San Diego Zoo. I've been hearing about this place forever. It should be fun. Time might determine that or Sea World, so I'm going to have to see how it plays out. Tijuana doesn't interest me within the least. I'm much more comfortable on my side of the border. Saving a few bucks on shoes while I'm on vacation is the last of my concerns. LOL! Thanks again for the responses.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 09:15 AM

Also no experience with that hotel but you'll love San Diego. You haven't mentioned the zoo?? Balboa Park is great with all the museums and also the zoo.

Tijuana is a waste of time. I've heard if you're going to Mexico, going a bit further to Rosarita is better but lines at the border can be endless.

No one's mentioned La Jolla. Lovely spot. (Coronado is too, just different). Go to Brockton Villa in La Jolla for a meal (they're known for their French toast but any meal will do) and walk along the water in front (brocktonvilla.com), check out the seals.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 09:20 AM

Sorry I now see you and others mentioned the zoo. There's also a wild animal park. Decisions, decisions. I don't see why you'd have to choose between one or the other? How long will you be there? The Prado rest. in Balboa Park is surprisingly good.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 10:34 AM

Skip Sea World if you have any feelings for animals. They have been banned from the Puget Sound so that they can no longer snatch young orcas away from their family groups. Go to the Wild Animal Park instead.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 10:47 AM

I would second Miguel's and Il Fornaio on Coronado.
Even if you rent a car, you may want to consider the tourist trolley (I don't remember its name). You can get on and off at many tourist spots and you can learn a lot from the driver.
Also, one day you should take the ferry across Coronado Bay to have a nice boat ride and enjoy the views.
I also agree that La Jolla is a fun place to visit for its views, shopping, and restaurants. There isn't a lot for kids there, however.
Rent a car.
Skip TJ!!!
Don't plan on sunbathing but bring a swimsuit in case you get lucky.
If your kids are or were into Lego's, read about Legoland in Carlsbad, about 30 miles north of San Diego.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 10:53 AM

Anzo Borrego National Park has a great hiking loop to a real Oasis. If you want warmth, try the dessert in the winter. We took our two kids, 8 & 10, and it was very fun and interesting.

Hang gliding, just to watch even!, off the cliffs near La Jolla.

Definitely the zoo and Wild Animal Park.

If you roller blade, or your kids do, pack them and skate around Mission Bay.

Nancy
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 10:54 AM

The Loew's is lovely; we had a bayside room. Brigantines is a great place to eat; Peohe's was disappointing.
May I suggest Phoenix as a future travel destination? We usually have highs in the mid-70's in January and there's plenty to do....
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 12:09 PM
hsv

I will also join in with:

1. Skip Tijuana!!! The best sight I saw there was the sign that read "Big Red Bus To Border". After having strolled around for 1 hour and being bored and annoyed at what dump downtown turned out to be, I followed that sign and considerably shortened my stay in Mexico.

2. I haven't stayed at the Loews either, but it is a bit out of town on Coronado, so the suggestion of a car is a must. The gloriously old fashioned Del is worth to check it out, although its restaurants sure are on the pricey side.

3. I'll gladly third the recommendation of Il Fornaio on Coronado Island's bayside, not far from the ferry landing. Gorgeous Italian food in a great atmosphere. Although this is a chain, this is a particularly nice one and does not feel generic at all. Their Del Mar restaurant just North of La Jolla is lovely, too.

4. I also urge you to make an excursion to La Jolla. One of the ritziest but also most scenic communities in Southern California. Great downtown for strolling around and window shopping (for your wife ;-) ) and great to have a look at the coves.

5. Brockton Villa is great, especially for breakfast. But do also try the unique George's at the Cove restaurant. They have actually three restaurant sections. The downstairs is a gourmet place, whereas above it, there is a lively bar, where they also serve some food, and atop of it all, there is a rooftop terrace featuring breathtaking views of the cove and sporting a reasonably priced menu with a good selection of wines and top-quality food.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 12:10 PM
hsv

Probably this did not come across properly: Brockton Villa and George's are located in downtown La Jolla, both atop the cove.