Lodging near Columbia Presbyterian Hospital NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A family member will be having surgery at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in NYC--168th and Broadway. Is there any decent/safe place to stay in that area? Hospital suggests staying in Englewood, NJ and taking shuttle back and forth so my guess is that there're aren't places nearby. Staying in midtown and taking the subway uptown doesn't seem too appealing either. Suggestions?
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 06:47 PM

The closest area in Manhattan than has some hotels would be the upper west side. Some people recommend the Hotel Newton at 96th street which would be an easy taxi ride or subway ride away. If you stay in Englewood, you are not near anything walkable and since you're on the other side of the Hudson River, traffic across the GW Bridge could be a problem sometimes. I think there's also a new Aloft hotel on 125th street in Harlem.
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 07:20 PM

I wouldn't stay in Englewood to go to Washington Heights. In addition to what nyer accurately says about the location (nothing particularly walkable in that town) and the traffic, it costs a lot more to go across the river. (Or is the shuttle free?)

It could take you as little as 20 minutes or as much as an hour to cross the GWB, if you're stuck at rush hour. (It's typically worse inbound to NYC than vice versa.) In 20 min on the subway, you could certainly be to 125th Street and 8th Ave, where the new Aloft hotel is. And in 30 minutes you'd be at 96th Street. If you're traveling very early or late, a taxi would hit virtually no traffic and zip you to your destination.
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 07:56 PM

Ilive just south of there and there are no hotels in the immediate area. I can recommend a couple of B&Bs like the Harlem Landmark Guest House on W 147th St. The A train is just around the corner and it's a short subway ride up to 168th.

There are a couple of other B&B's in the area if you need more ideas.

I agree don't stay in NJ, the traffic across the bridge can be bad just about any time of day. If you need a phone number let me know.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 02:46 AM

Friends of mine have two apartments (a one bedroom and a 2 bedroom) in their West Harlem townhouse that they rent to guests. If you would like the details, I will post the link.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 03:14 AM

Staying in NJ is a really bad idea - since once there you can't get anyplace without a car - even to head to a drug store or get something to eat.

Agree the upper west side is a much better choice. The Newton is fine - and a quick subway or cab ride from the hospital. On the way back you would need to grab a car service - they will cruise near the hospital entrances - since cabs don;t frequent that neighborhood.

There are also a number of other hotels in the area that are only 2 additional subway stops or 5 minutes more by cab: Beacon, Lucerne and On the Ave. Check the websites to see what deals they have for prepurchase.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions however, I'm not a "city girl" and have to ask about the safety of the area and taking the subway. I've really never been to this area of NYC before.

"The Newton is fine - and a quick subway or cab ride from the hospital. On the way back you would need to grab a car service - they will cruise near the hospital entrances - since cabs don;t frequent that neighborhood."

Any idea of cost of a cab from 96th to 168th? How do I locate a car service and know that it's legit?

Any thoughts of safety at the B&B's? Sorry for all the safety questions, but as I said, I'm basically a country girl and even though I travel all over, I'm usually with other people and not staying right in a city.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 01:01 PM

An issue with "B&Bs" in NYC is that many are actually illegal. I don't know anything good or bad about the ones mentioned here, but short term rentals are mostly (but not all) against local laws. Don't get us started! (many many threads about that)

The 96th street area is a middle to upper middle class very busy area all day and evening. Multimillion dollar apartments next to more modest places. About as safe an area as there is in any city (and NYC is the safest large city in the country for many years now)

From 96th street to the hospital you could take a regular yellow taxi cab. They are metered. My guess would be around $15? During daytime hours, you can certainly take a subway with no hesitation.

The hospital would be able to suggest or even call a car service for your trip back downtown and tell you how much it would cost.

The Harlem location is fine on a busy commercial street, but in an area that has both new commercial development,less upscale residential and mixed with an occasional high priced building. Should also be fine though some streets nearby may be less appealing.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 01:50 PM

Check with the hospital. 10 years ago when my brother was a heart transplant patient there were hotel rooms for patient's families in the hospital.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 04:39 PM

Here is a link from the hospital's website about accommodations for family. Often these hotels will offer discounts if you tell them you are there for a family member who is a patient.

http://nyp.org/patients/hotels.html
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 04:54 PM

The upper west side is a mid to upscale residential area - with housing from moderate rentals to multi-million condos on Central park West and $10 million mansions on Riverside Drive. The avenues are lined with restaurants and shops while the side streets are almost all residential.

You can easily get a cab to the hospital for about $13 plus tip ( $16) or grab the subway - which, yes, is safe. If you prefer not to take a car service from the hospital (and I've done it several times with no problems) you can call a local car service (try Family) and they will send a car to get you.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 05:49 PM

The hospital link Jaya listed mentions hospital property accomodations which are definitely worth looking into. I imagine the availability is very limited. The other hotels are in NJ -- Englewood and Fort Lee. I think most of the posters here agree that it isn't a very practical situation, but obviously each situation is different and Clousie may go that route if it seems best.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your comments. I did see the hospital site immediately and that's why I questioned the only hotels mentioned are in NJ. We called the hospital's McKeen facility twice today and left messages but have not been called back.

I feel a little better about the area after hearing your comments.