Lodging July2005 Pinewoods resort southern Utah or Zion Mountain Resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on a trip to celebrate a friends 50TH B-Day 1 week to North Rim GCNP, Zion,Bryce canyon, and Las Vegas. We want to do short day hikes, horse back ride in Zion and white water raft 1 day trip on the colorado river. We are Planning on lodging at the Grand Canyon Lodge north rim frontier/pioneer cabins, Pinewoods Resort 1 mile east of duck creek village, and Monte Carlo in Vegas. Any comments on good hikes, day rafting trips& lodging at Pinewood resort vs Zion mountian resort. We are confirming plans this week any thoughts helpful for a great 50TH celebration trip.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 10:42 PM

I have no idea what the Pinewoods Resort or the Zion Mountain Resorts are like, but I do know about LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

From Pinewoods Resort it's about an 1 1/2 drive (one way) to the actual canyon of Zion. It's also well over an hour drive to Bryce Canyon. Hwy 14 is a mountain type road.

For location you would be better off at Zion Mountain Resort which is very close to the east entrance to Zion. From this location you will only have to do one day of driving to Bryce Canyon. Approx. 1 hour 45 minutes.

I would prefer to stay in Springdale because the scenery is even better.

Utahtea
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 03:42 AM

i agree with utahtea, springdale. and there are VERY NIce places to stay there and economical. easy zion access without a doubt!
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input. I think our group wants to be centrally located to Bryce & Zion & we want a location that has the anemities : refridgerator Multiple beds one unit to save money. I wish we could find a one day rafting trip that could accomidate us from Zion/Bryce /GCNP North rim area verses Las Vegas, but so far no luck.We are not comfortable driving back to our loddging in the dark as we are not familure with the area.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 11:59 PM

Does it have to be white water? From Page, AZ you can do a half day float trip on the Colorado River. This was a lot of fun and so scenic!

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/pages...2003/float.htm

Utahtea
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

THE FLOAT TRIP WOULD BE OKAY , BUT WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST AREA TO INCLUDE THIS INTO THE TRIP . (ZION/BRYCE/GRANDCANYON NORTH RIM/ LAS VEGAS.) DO THEYPICK UP AND RETURN YOU TO YOUR LODGING OR DO YOU HAVE TO DRIVE TO IT? WHAT IS THE COST ?
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Dear D,

I'm afraid you are way overestimating the value of the word "resort" and way underestimating the distances and beauty of the west. By limiting yourselves to one "resort" you are limiting what you will be able to see and do.

There is nothing tricky about driving in the places you want to visit. Don't worry about it. It doesn't even get dark in Utah in the summer (if that's when you are coming) until 9:30 p.m. anyway.

Riding is better on the trip down into Bryce Canyon than in Zion. There are no float trips in either national park. How about a hike up the Narrows in Zion instead? Or tubing down the Virgin River in Springdale? Either one is nice and refreshing!

Good luck and have fun!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 09:28 AM

Dlepottery,
We have a reservation at the Pinewood resort this July as well. We are a big group, so we chose to rent the cabin that they have on sight that is not part of the actual resort. But affords us all the amenities of the resort.
We chose this area b/c of the elevation, as we thought it would be a cooler location for our week in Utah.
We are accustomed to doing day trips, so we have no concern about getting up and getting going for the day, and returning in the evening.
When are you going to be staying at Pinewoods?
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

We are going to be at Pinewood Resot July 24-27, Then were moving on to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon for a few days & then we'll finish our trip at Las Vegas. We also wanted the availability of a group lodging with a kitchen to keep costs down to prepare hiking lunches and small meals. This is our first time at these locations(Zion & Bryce) I can't wait!!!!!!!!!! Have you been in this area before? If so any suggestions appreciated (ie) short scenic trails, other activities that would be worth our while.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 11:55 AM

No, I've never been to Southern Utah. Went skiing in Park City about 15 years ago. I've got my eyes and ears wide open, just like you.
We'll be at Pinewoods from July 9th to the 16th. Too bad, it would have been a hoot to meet you.
I've got lots to learn about this area. Just working out the flights, etc, at the moment. Then the real fun begins!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 12:35 PM

dlepottery or hibiscushouse,
If either of you are still around, how was your stay at Pinewoods? Thanks.