lodging in or near Staunton Virginia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a place to stay overnight before touring Monticello. Nothing fancy, just clean and moderately priced. We are traveling with a 11 year old, most B&Bs don't allow children. Thanksfor any suggestions
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:35 PM

You can google hotels, staunton, va for listings, but there is a Holiday Inn Express about twelve miles east in Waynesboro on I-64, with a cont. brfst included.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 07:00 PM

You could also stay in Charlottesville at one of the many hotels. It could be fun to stay close to the University (which Jefferson designed) and walk on the grounds there after having breakfast at Bodo's Bagels on the Corner. Ahhh
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 07:39 AM
mp

This past summer we spent one night at the Stonewall Jackson Hotel in Staunton with our 12 year-old, as we were dropping him off at a wilderness camp near Roanoke. The hotel was nice - big room with 2 queen size beds, pleasant public areas, nice indoor pool, friendly staff. Staying in town was good because we could walk to the Woodrow Wilson birthplace (our son is a Presidential history buff). The town was very pretty. We had a good dinner at the Mill Street grill, a few blocks from the hotel - all in all a very pleasant place to stay. I think at the height of summer we paid $150. per night, and that included a good hot breakfast buffet for all 3 of us and parking.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 09:13 AM

I think Staunton is near the American Frontier Museum, but I'm familiar with any of the lodgings there.

Clean, moderately priced, and easy to find in Charlottesville, more or less on the U of Va campus: Red Roof Inn. It's basic: a room, bath, and 2 double bed, easy and plentiful parking. You can walk from there to tour the beautiful campus, visit some of the student hang-outs, or the nice Barracks Road shopping center. An easy drive to the downtown pedestrian area (you park in a garage on the periphery) and lovely Monticello... Try Carmelo's restaurant across from the shopping center for a family friendly, tasty Italian dinner. (It's adjacent to some sort of motel but popular and worth a visit.)

Another possibility: The Charlotteville Residence Inn if you want a separate space for your 11 year old, free breakfast, and outdoor pool in summer.

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate everyone's responses. We will be traveling the end of March. Our grandaughter is a history buff and would love the frontier museum. An indoor pool would be nice also, to relax after traveling. Any more suggestions would be great!!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:48 AM

I live close to Staunton and love to promote it but is there a reason you are staying there instead of in C-ville?

Anyway:
The Stonewall Jackson is the premier Staunton Hotel--recently underwent a huge rennoation and is the star of the downtown. Price to match.

Plenty of chains along the outskirts (Comfort inn, Hampton Inn, )--all are just the normal chain experience. They are close to the Frontier Culture museum. They are NOT close to downtown.

Howard Johnson is close to downtown. It is not a place I recommend staying.

Downtown is fantastic--Depot Grill and The Pullman Restaurant are next to the train tracks; Woodrow Wilson's birthplace is downtown; Shenandoah Shakespeare performs in an authentic Shakespearean theater.

Plenty of cute places to eat: Mill Street (as prev. mentioned) is great for ribs and American Fare; Pampered Palate is great sandwiches--lots of selection; Depot and Pullman (see above); and Mrs. Rowe's is an institution around here (I don't like the meals but the breakfast is yummy).

Stop-in type places:
Bittersweet Bakery (just looking at their beautiful baked goods is a treat--elaborately and unusually decorated cakes, cute cookies); Blue ridge Coffee for your caffein fix; backdoor butcher isn't just meats but also locally produced food goods (coffee, pasta, sauces, teas, etc).

Too bad you are coming before the Farmer's Market resumes in April.

As you can see, I love Staunton and will gladly provide more info if you really plan to stop there. Charlottesville's great, too--you will have a fun trip!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:30 AM

Check out the Iris Inn located in Waynesboro.

http://irisinn.com/
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Schlegal! I picked Staunton because its near the Frontier Museum and close to Monticello. We will then head to Williamsburg for three days. We will not have time to do a visit to Charlottesville justice. I do have a few more questions. Is a few hours enough time to set aside to visit the Frontier Museum? There is a possibility we might return on the same route so we can drive part of the Skyline drive. Thanks so much for all your ideas, I wish we had more time it sounds like a great place to visit. I'm sure we will stop in one of the restaurants you mentioned.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:34 PM

Plantlady:
So glad our area caught your attention. A morning or afternoon would be ample time to enjoy the Frontier Culture Museum.

There are also some mentions here of Waynesboro hotels. They're fine (I used to live in Waynesboro) but you would be backtracking if you spent a night there and then went back to Staunton then crossed back on 64 to get to Charlottesville. It's more efficient driving to stay in Staunton.

I hope you enjoy your trip and get a chance to see Skyline Drive but even if you don't, there are some pretty views driving from Staunton to Charlottesville!