Lodging in/around Hana, Hawaii

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging in/around Hana, Hawaii

Planning to be in Maui in late July. Will be based in Kaanapali (not our choice), but planning to drive out to Hana on our 2nd-to-last day on the island (a Saturday), stay overnight, and drive back the next day in time to catch our evening flight back to the Contiguous 48.

Our quandry: Where to stay around Hana? We'd like a place that's not horridly expensive, but clean, fixed up, with functional screens on the doors/windows. We'd also like a place with no minimum stay, as we're only there one night, but realize we may have to do with a two-night minimum.

Any positive/negative suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 01:27 PM

We stayed two nights last Sept in Hana, it was so lovely, we wished we could've stayed two more! You're right - most places have 2 or 3 night minimum. Hana Hale Malamalama is a group of 7 or 8 cottages, they look great, and Maui Revealed gives them the thumbs up. Here's the URL:
http://www.hanahale.com/
check out the treehouse or royal suite, my research showed them to be the best units.

We stayed in Hamoa Bay House, but I won't tease you too much, they have a 3 night minimum. Another place, actually condo's, that's gotten good reviews here is Hana Kai Maui Resort. Do a google search and you'll find them too. There is a rental agency for private homes, but most have a minimum I believe. Check it out to make sure:

http://www.hanaalii.com/HBH/

Hope this helps! Have you bought a copy of Maui Revealed yet? If not, get one straightaway!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Joan.

I looked thru Maui Revealed (and the associated web site). Doesn't have much more Hana lodging info than available elsewhere.

Re Hana Hale Malamalama: Someone has posted a comment somewhere on the web (referenced on smarterliving.com) that their unit was dirty, had garbage from previous occupant, and the door screen was torn. The staff ignored his complaints, and didn't even oblige with his request for duct tape to tape up the screen himself. He didn't indicate which unit he was in.

By the way, do you know how long it takes to do the "Road to Hana" (Paia to Hana) and see most of the things listed in Maui Revealed? And how long does it take to do the second part of the loop, around the south side?

Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 12:19 AM

Just wanted to ad a little note. We have stayed at Hana Hale Manalahlama last year. It was beautiful & relaxing. We didn't have any trouble at all. Infact, we are going bak this June for our Honeymoon, and are staying there again with confidence. We stayed in the Royal Suite.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 10:51 PM

We are going to the hana hotel & Iv talked to the hotel & asked all kinds of questions & I looked at the website before I booked the room www.hanahotelmaui.com
Good luck & hang loose GinnyG