Location of Thrifty Car Rental/Lihue

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've booked a convertible for our stay in Kauai next week. I just read another post that said all of the car rental counters are located in the terminal at the airport -with the exception of Thrify which is offsite. Can anyone tell me how far offsite? Is there a shuttle to the offsite location? Is the lower rate worth the inconvenience or would it be better to pay more for an in-terminal company? Thanks.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:32 PM

There are no car rentals companies actually on-site at Lihu`e airport anymore -- all (except for Thrify) are now adjacent to the airport, with a shuttle bus ride required to get there.

Thrify is mere minutes away -- and yes,
they provides a free shuttle between the airport and their lot. If you're saving more than just a couple of dollars, stay with Thrifty. It will only cost you a few more minutes of your time.

Suggestion: as soon as you get off the plane, have one person jump on the shuttle bus (they are behind the car rental stations) and get the car -- while the other(s) take care of picking up the baggage. There are benches just outside the baggage claim area -- a perfect place to sit and wait for the rental car driver to arrive!

Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:47 PM

All car companies no longer have their rentals right next to the airport on ANY island, not just Kauai.

On Kauai, they are all in the industrial center about 2-3 minutes away from the airport. Thrifty included.

They all provide free shuttle service.

Not sure why Thrifty was singled out.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 08:03 AM

travelandgolfin:

I fly in and out of Lihu`e about once a month, and actually the rental offices for Budget, Avis, Hertz, Dollar and Alamo are still located on airport property -- tucked between the airport parking lot and the highway.

Only Thrifty (and one other small car rental firm, whose name escapes me right now) are located in the Lihu`e Industrial Park.

By not having to pay what is probably exorbitant rent to be on airport property, Thrifty can afford to offer lower rates to their customers. Smart move!
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 08:12 AM

Even Thrifty has a car rental counter at the Lihue Airport, this is where the paperwork is done (unless they have changed procedures in the last month). The shuttle bus will take you directly to the car, about 1 mile away. Ditto National and Alamo which share a building about a mile offsite. The rest of the car rentals are located adjacent to the airport, approx the equivalent of a block from the terminal.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Let me clarify my post. Maybe I misunderstood the question.

All rental car companies on Kauai (and on every island in Hawaii) do not have their cars at the airport. Some may have the reservation booth at the airport, but in all cases, you must catch a shuttle to pick up your car.

And on Kauai the cars are at the industrial area about 2-3 minutes away. Short ride.

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 09:27 AM

vivi, I'm curious, but which companies have their cars only a block away? I go back to Kauai frequently and as far as I knew, all the companies keep their cars at the industrial center.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 10:09 AM

I can only speak for procedures at Lihu`e Airport, as that's the one I use most often.

If you already have a reservation, there is no need to check in at the airport rental car desk (regardless of company being used). Just jump on the shuttle for your particular car rental company to complete all paperwork and pick up your car.

travelinandgolfin:
The Lihu`e Industrial Park is located well off aiport property...down the highway toward Lihu`e, two stoplights away. That's where you'll find a wide variety of small businesses, supply warehouses, and auto repair businesses.

The area where Budget, Dollar, Avis, Alamo & Hertz have their rental car lots and reservation desks is airport property which has been designated especially for car rental companies (not industrial).
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Hmmm, I'm confused. I've rented from Alamo, Dollar, Thrifty, National and I've always been taken to the same industrial park area by Vidinha stadium.

I don't recall any car rental companies keeping their cars on airport property, though the checkin of some are at the airport. If there are, let me know, as closer the better.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 11:44 AM

travelinandgolfin:
As you are on Kaua`i only occasionally, it is easy to understand your confusion as to the locations of the various rental companies.

Look around the airport next time you're here -- specifically look at the huuuuge area between the highway and the airport parking lot. You'll see large signs for Budget, Alamo, Dollar, Avis & Hertz, because that's where they rent the cars.

'Nuff said...next topic, please?

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:01 PM

What the hell is the difference if a car rental company is located on airport property or "two stoplights away". Can the time difference possibly be more than two or three minutes?
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:57 PM

All of the shuttle bus rides to pick up rental cars in Lihue are inconsequential. (Except maybe for Rent A Wreck which has spotty hours/ shuttle service.)

Right after 9/11 the rental cars companies did have many of their cars actually parked in the lot at Vidhina Stadium and that's where people picked up and returned. There used to be alot of rental cars conveniently parked directly behind the rental kiosks at the aiport but the new security measures banned that.

I would rent by the price on Kauai, not the location of the car pick-up.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 06:45 PM

Relax auntie. We're all just trying to get better educated. You can pass on this topic if you like.

Actually, I go to Kauai at least three times a year, which is why, if I don't have to catch a shuttle to the industrial area, I'd rather do that. Hence my curiosity about any company that is actually on airport property.

If there is an area that is closer, certainly I would consider renting from that company. I normally rent from National and Thrify recently. I will check out the others you mentioned.

Not having to catch the shuttle would be ideal.

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 06:51 PM

vivi, for the ones that are on airport property, can I just walk there after signing in at the kiosk? That would be great.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 04:08 AM
iceeu2

You know travlinandgolfin, if you go to Kauai at least 3 times a year why do you need to ask others? You should know the answer already, shouldn't you?

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:39 AM

Yes you can walk to Hertz and Alamo but it may be a convoluted walk due to fences and lack of sidewalks. The shuttle ride should only take about 2 minutes.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 09:48 AM

Thanks vivi. I guess you can't escape catching that shuttle.

I long for the days you could check-in at the airport and just walk to your car. Oh well.....