Lobster in NYC

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 05:52 PM
claws

Lobster in NYC

Are there any lobster restaurants that are known for being good places to go to get one's fix for lobster. Perhaps a place near the Fulton Seafood Market...no atmosphere, just lobster and reasonable prices?
I realize NY is not Boston nor the Maine Coast, but there's gotta be something????

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:16 PM
J

You can get a great lobster roll at Mary's Fish Camp and Pearl Oyster Bar. Many of the seafood places in Chinatown are good bets for lobster, too. Prices are obviously higher than in areas closer to where lobster is harvested.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:26 PM
new yorker

My favorite place for lobster is Cafe Espanol in the Village. It's (obviously) a spanish restaurant but it's great.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:45 PM
arjay

With the same tate quest you apparently are one, a couple of years ago, we opted for $$ over ambience and chose a NY restaurant for lobster out of the yellow pages. It was a Spanish-motif restuarant, which makes me want to say it was Cafe Espanol...but it was not so far downtown as to be in the village. The lobster was....absolutely EXcellent! The ambience was...expected (white table cloth, iron sculptures, red embossed fabric - but decent enough). I bet they are still running the same phone book ad (that's what took us to the place). Bon Appetit!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 08:07 PM
s

Ithink the restaurant referred to by Arjay is on 23rd St between 7th and 8th Avenues on the south side of the street (about the middle of the block).

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Allan

23rd btw 7th & 8th is El Quijote. It's in the Chelsea Hotel, been there for years. It can get crowded, but it's a fun place.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Jonesy

It is not unique but I have always gotten a consistently excellent meal at Red Lobster. I know it is a chain but their food is excellent. There is usually a line so I suggest calling ahead.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Anthony

Where is there a Red Lobster in Manhattan?

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:13 PM
xxx

I've never been to a Red Lobster but I read that all their seafood comes frozen in premeasured meal portions. Does that include the lobster? Or do they actually have a live lobster tank? I can't imagine ordering lobster unless it was live just before or when they cooked it.

Or considering what I've always heard about Red Lobster, this was meant as a joke?

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:28 PM
sandra

I have never been there but I have been told of restaurant in NYC called the Lobster Club, after it's famous club sandwich. From what I have been told it has a menu exclusively or almost exclusively Lobster. Maybe a search on Zagat might reveal this mythical place

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:28 PM
suzanne

There is no Red Lobster in Manhattan, and Fulton Fish Market has closed.

Mo's Caribbean has 2-for-1 lobsters on Monday night (76th St/2nd Ave). Outside of that, I've never seen anyone eating whole lobsters in NYC!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:54 PM
dana

How about the Palm? They are well known for their lobster!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 09:50 PM
David

I heard that they will be opening a Red Lobster in Times Square. I can't imagine anyone coming to New York to eat at a Red Lobster. Makes no sense to me.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 02:40 AM
former nyc restaurant

The Lobster Club does or did exist, on the Upper East Side, around 80th-83rd Street, somewhere between Madison and Fifth. I had the lobster roll sandwich for which it is famous and thought...ho-hum, the place is in the basement of a brownstone and quite chic but it didn't do a thing for me. Mary's Fish Camp and Pearl Oyster Bar were both featured in the last few months in GOURMET as being divine but not sure about the lobster being the way you want it, aka live out of a tank. Perhaps The Water Club located on the East River, give them a call. Just define what you want, is it a lobster roll or a real Maine type lobster. Also Il Mulino has the most divine lobster diablo of all time.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 06:05 AM
skip

Restaurant called "Grotto Azul" in little Italy. Awesome Lobster Fra'Diablo (sp). A whole lobster on a bed of pasta with a delicious tomato sauce. Enjoy-we always do.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Merilee

Claws, if you can arrange for transportation I would suggest a trip to City Island which is a bridge away from the Bronx. It's a quaint little area of the city that has numerous excellent seafood restaurants that are all located along the main street named City Island Avenue.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 11:42 AM
rodney

best I ever had was at the Palm ... if you can afford it. I was on expense account so did not give a damn what it cost, but it was BIG BUCKS to eat there. One HUGE lobster and BIG bill.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 01:43 PM
xx

Francisco Centro Vasco on 23rd between 6 & 7 has excellent very big lobsters. Or Sparks steakhouse.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Ellin

I had a "tower" of lobster meat at Gotham Bar and Grill and it was FABULOUS, and I'm from Maine.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Michelle

Lobster Club closed. How about Docks (either Uptown on Midtown location)?