Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Trying to find the best place for LOBSTER in BAR HARBOR, ME

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Anita

My friend and I are going to be in Bar Harbor the week after next and we're trying to find the best place for serious lobster. Looking for the real McCoy, no real menu, no wine list, just goooood lobster. Suggestions?

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 04:21 AM
Liz

Our favorite is Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound, located just before the causeway to Mount Desert Island.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Anita

Thanks Liz.

I had seen an add for Trenton on the site for Ellsworth, ME (www.ellsworthme.com). Good to have some first-hand knowledge out there!

Anybody ever been to West St. Cafe? Thurston's Lobster Pound?
Union River Lobster Pot?

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 12:30 PM
hamlet

Just back from there. I find you can't go wrong with just plain lobster at a lobster pound - which is what we did for half of our meals. Went to Trenton and Beals. You'll see that man in the Trenton ad standing there and asking how big you want your lobster as soon as you walk in. Just so you know - I was shocked to see that places charge for a little cup of butter, 25 cents may not be a lot of money, but it's the principal of the matter. As far as downtown Bar Harbor - West St. was awful. We ate there one night because they were one of the few places without a wait. We also ate at 124 Cottage Street and Galyn's - both of which were very good, but not outstanding. The prime rib at Galyn's was a nice size cut and break from lobster for one meal.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Mary

Anita:
Just got back from Bar Harbor yesterday. Without a doubt - Beals. They are located in Southwest Harbor! It is not a restaurant in the traditional sense!
It is located right off a fishing boat dock - You walk in to a shack - pick out your live lobster, they put it in bag and put it in the boiling water vat. 10-15 minutes later - voila FRESH lobster served to you at a pick up window wraped in wax paper. The eating is done on outside picnic tables. A seperate shack next to the tables will serve you sides such as french fries, onion rings, cole slaw, chowder, beer etc. Please to the comment that someone made about charging .25 for melted butter! Like it is going to put them in the poor house!
At any rate - stay away from the tourist restaurants selling over priced, over cooked lobster - this is the real deal!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 04:57 PM
hamlet

Another note about Beals - There was an odor there, not from the lobster pound itself - but a refinery or machinery kind of smell in the area that wafted in periodically and was not that pleasant.

To Mary who posted above: The 25 cents did not put me in the poorhouse. I did say that 25 cents was not a lot of money and that it was the principal that bothered me, not the cost. I compare it to ordering a salad and getting charged for dressing. In Europe sometimes you'll get charged for ketchup or mayo and Americans may find that surprising too. No response necessary - although I have noted a valid e-mail address so I can be contacted directly.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Mary

Are you always this negative?

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 04:20 AM
sandra

the best and biggest lobsters are on the pier, it may be called beals I am not sure. When you walk down the drive there is the lobster shacck on the left and the liquor and tables on the right. Two levels of eating, 2 complete 4lbs l;obster dinners 70 dollars. yes that was 8lbs of lobster. Other food avalible for non lobster fans and they let the dog sit at the table ..he of course was dinning on chicken fingers. Mom lives in Maine so we are in Bar Horbour Lots, this place is on water near excursion boat area.

Old Nov 17th, 2001, 12:27 PM
jersey

Trenton Lobster pound is #1. We've driven to Maine twice. They have the best lobsters and if you like steamed clams, try theirs. the food is absolutely delicious.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 04:19 AM
Melissa

Did you know that lobster used to be used as fertilizer in this area, also that it used to be poor mans food. Someone was going on the $70 was a good price please....Also a lot of Maine Lobster is from Canada.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 10:48 AM
michelle/nyc

Abel's Lobster Pound just outside of Bar Harbor ... the sweetest lobster I've ever tasted! reserve a table outside at sunset overlooking the water.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 11:05 AM
roadtripper

Helloooooo, this thread is over 2 months old.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:19 AM
tip tip

ttt