less than one week away!

Jan 24th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Original Poster

less than one week away!

my friend and i are thinking about a last minute trip to miami fm jan28-feb1 from san diego. i did some prelim research and decided that if we went, i think i'd like to stay in south beach close to the lincoln rd mall, clubs and other interesting places for 20-something ppl. what and how is the coconut grove area? i found thru the various internet travel sites the following hotels for around or less than 600 tot for flight and 4 night stay per person. any comments, suggestions or advice? is it even worth going to miami for such a short time?

new clinton hotel
ocean point resort
aqua hotel
casablanca on the ocean
leslie hotel
cavalier

Jan 24th, 2004, 05:17 AM

We stayed at the Leslie a few years ago and were very satisfied. And, it's right in the heart of South Beach right on the beach. It's one of the five original restored Art Deco hotels in Sobe.
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:56 AM
GoTravel

Coconut Grove is across Biscayne Bay from South Beach. The Leslie, Cavalier, and Clinton are all fine hotels. Also check out The South Seas.

The Doubletree Surfcomber is in the Lincoln Road Mall area and is also reasonable (next door to the South Seas and Delano).

The Lincoln Road Mall area is the nicest (IMO) because the hotels are ocean front and it is out of the noise and chaos of the deco distric.

Jan 24th, 2004, 07:48 AM

No one can tell you whether it's "worth it" for just 4 days. Don't know the current temps in SD or Miami right now or what your other options might be. Just know it's f-r-e-e-z-ing in NY.

Does Jet Blue fly to Fla from SD? They're having a sale right now $79/one way east coast to west coast but don't know whether they go to Fla. from there & they do require 7 day advance purchase I think.

If you decide to buy the pkg., I think you'd prefer Sobe to Coconut Grove. The Grove attracts college kids at night at the bars, but I think the hotels in CG tend to cater to an older crowd.
Jan 24th, 2004, 09:02 AM

For what it's worth my great niece who's a college senior in Miami and her boyfriend who's a graduate student, say they rarely go to South Beach (which is closer for them) as it's mainly all "rich older people", old meaning over 30 (gasp!). They love the atmosphere of Coconut Grove -- younger, cheaper, and more fun in their opinion.
Jan 24th, 2004, 09:13 AM
GoTravel

Patrick, it may be time for you (as an old person) to have a talk with the grand niece! LOL!