Reload this Page >

Need restaurant sugg in St. Augustine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 09:45 AM
Kate

Looking for fresh seafood. Any particular restaurant stand out?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 02:51 PM
native

Highly recommend Osteens in St Augustine. Heading out of the old part of town, go across the Bridge of Lions (you'll be going toward the Gator Park and the Lighthouse, both are interesting to see once). Osteens will be down on the right hand side of the road BEFORE the Gator Park and Lighthouse (hit either one and you need to turn back). It is a squat tannish colored building with it's name written on the side of the building in Wrought Iron. I seem to recall that it is next to a pawn shop. Very good, fresh sea food, the place is a favorite with the locals. Be prepared to wait (after 5pm guaranteed a 45 min wait minimum) and they don't take checks or credit cards. But the place is worth it. About $10 buys a huge fried shrimp dinner with slaw, fries, hushpuppies etc (all like grandma used to make and all shrimp are HUGE and fried in Buttermilk batter YUMMY) and a drink (iced tea, soda etc, no alcohol served).

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:42 PM
Sheila

To Native...Osteens was the first place where I tasted Fried Shrimp. That was in 1969.I had no idea that Osteen's was still there. The food was good then and I'm sure that is why the restaurant is still operating.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:37 AM
native

Sheila,
Isn't it the greatest? I used to hate shrimp till Osteens converted me back in the mid 70's! I actually have the receipe for their batter... not that anyone can do it better then them! I lived in Jax for years and have relatives still there, so we go over all the time. Last there two years ago so I assume that it is still there - I don't think the locals will let them close!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:14 AM
Sheila

Ben...could you give the recipe for the batter? Also, we stayed at a Motel in St. Augustine called Colonel Parker or Colonel Tuckers. It was on the Intercoastal, over the Bridge of the Lions, close by was Osteen's. Is it still there? It is a very small place. Maybe 3 or 4 guest rooms.
Sheila

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:41 AM
rob

went to a place called the conch house...it was OK (we just had drinks and appetizers). very long wait. from the size of the crowd you would assume the food was great but i don't know.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:02 AM
Jim

We went to a place on the intracoastal side that resembles a swamp. Maybe it's called bayou- or alligator-something. It's a fun atmosphere and the food was excellent. Can't remember the name.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:30 AM
native

I'll send the batter receipe as soon as I find it. And I have been to the Conch House (Osteens is closed on Mondays I think, anyway went there on a day when I couldn't go to Osteens) and had mediocre service and the food was subpar. I know that I'm picky on my seafood as I live on the coast, but their shrimp tasted frozen and the prices were outlandish compared to other places around there. We didn't have a wait since we got there early.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 04:14 AM
southerngirl

Saltwater Cowboys on Anastasia Island. Wonderful food, decent prices. Always a wait, but worth it.

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Ron McCullough

If you've ever tried Cuban food the Columbia in Old St. Augustine is the very best. They have been in busuness over 45 yrs. and have 3-4 resturants in Fla. The other Great one is in Yeboor City, Tampa, Fla.