Restaurant for only Bermudians and Expats

Jul 9th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Restaurant for only Bermudians and Expats

My wife and I will be at the Pompano in July 18-25.

While I am sure that the food, service, view are excellent at the resort-hotel-tourist restaurants, I would like to experience a "local" eatery. What do I mean by that? I don't really know, but probably a simple, off the beaten track place, searving only local fresh produce/meats/seafood dishes, and patroned only by Bermudians and Expats.

Thanks
Jul 9th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Why would a restaurant patronized only by Bermudians and Expats permit you and your wife to enter?

There's a hole-in-the-wall place out near St. George that serves local seafood, but they allowed me to eat there, and I was a tourist. I found it in Lonely Planet, and it certainly qualifies as simple and off-the-beaten track. If you do some research, I'm sure you could find its name. I don't want to mention it here for fear of attracting other tourists.
Jul 10th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

thit_cho, I figurd if I worked on my bermy accent, I could pass as a local. By the way, is there a secret password or handshake to get into these places.

Just kidding, your point is well taken and I apreciate you advice. I have found the place near St George and will check it out. Cheers!
Jul 10th, 2007, 07:39 AM

You'll have fun at the place near St. George (I wasn't intentionally hiding its name, its just that I don't recall it). Its run by a local, and has very interesting food, which you eat outside on picnic tables. While not a buffet, its a lot of smaller, local dishes, and was absolutely fantastic, as much as for the stories from the host as for the ambience and cuisine. I rode out there by motorbike, which made it even more fun. Remember, you are not able to rent cars in Bermuda, so it would be either a very expensive taxi or motorbike, the latter being A LOT less expensive and A LOT more fun.

I also drove by Tom Moore's Tavern, but didn't eat there. I understand it also focuses on local products.
Jul 10th, 2007, 07:46 AM

http://www.bermuda-online.org/restaurants.htm

The restaurant is called Dennis's Hideaway, and I found this info on another site:

Dennis's Hideaway Cassia City Rd., St. David's Island; 441/297-0044; dinner for two $65, no credit cards. You'll get lost looking for Dennis's—a run-down pink building with mcdennie's spray-painted on the wall—that's for sure. But this is real Bermudan food. Ask for the works—a feast of conch (or "conk," as it says on the menu) fritters and fish-and-chips.
Jul 15th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Dennis's Hideway does not serve alcohol but you can take a bottle (or a box!!) of booze with you.

Great place!!
Jul 15th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Dennis's Hideaway is located on Cashew City Road, not Cassia.

It's at the very end of the road. Advisable to call first to make sure it's open and available to feed you! It's a very rustic place but I guarantee you'll have a fab time there.

Dennis himself passed away a few years ago (very sad event), but his son (can't remember his nickname but it's either Sea Egg or Urchin) is running the place.

Jul 15th, 2007, 01:03 PM

I think its Sea Egg. He ran the show when I visited in December 2005, but I had forgotten his name. He's a gracious host.