Search

Restaurants in/near Greenwich village

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in/near Greenwich village

Hello!
Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant that we can go to with two teenagers please? We are actually staying near to Madison Gardens so if anyone knows of a good place near there too, would be great.
We'd like something that's not too smart (we don't want to have to pack Daniel's suit!), maybe a little different but not too foreign! In fact, knowing mine and Mazza's taste, probably not really foreign at all - italian's ok! English and American too. They like Chinese (well, take aways over here) and I guess I'd be up for that if it was good.
Any ideas? Need any more info on likes/dislikes?!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 02:17 PM

OK, ready for the offbeat? How about the Trailer Park Lounge and Grill on 23rd Street just east of 8th Avenue? Not a bad walk from the Gardens. It's an absolute hoot. The name says it all -- and the food is really good. Excellent hamburgers and other casual fare, macaroni and cheese, great chili dogs, and super sweet potato fries. The decor is -- well, you have to see it to appreciate it.

You can see a review and menu at:
http://www.menupages.com/restaurantd...taurantid=4367
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:01 AM

Some suggestions in the West Village:

Italian:
Grano Trattoria - Greenwich Ave. at 10th St. (My favorite in this list).

Piccolo Angolo - Hudson St. at Jane St. (Always jammed - be prepared to wait a bit)

English:
Cafe Topsy - Hudson St near Bank St. (Very authentic English food. I love the Guiness braised brisket.)

American:
Chat n Chew - W 16th St. (not really the village - just north in Chelsea, and similar to Trailer Park mentioned above.)

Southwestern:

Agave - Seventh Ave at Charles St. (Trendy bar for margaritas and people watching, but also great food in the dining room).

All of these place are local neighborhood type places and reasonably priced, with Agave being at the higher end of reasonable.

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Brilliant! Thank you both so much. They all sound great and a good variety of choices there too - I don't think we'll be eating in our room much this trip!
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 07:49 AM

If your desire for Chinese overtakes you, I might suggest Hop Shing Restaurant (9 Chatham Sq) in chinatown. It's great for dim sum, noodle dishes like lo min, and also crab cantonese. the wonton soup is amazing, so are the pork buns they have in the front by the counter. and your kids and you will have a great time wandering around chinatown (find an ice cream shop with green tea ice cream!), an area that certainly is in need of tourist dollars post 9/11.