Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Leaving for Disney this Saturday-FIRST TIME- Any advice?

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We did not buy the disney tickets yet. We are only planning on spending a day/hopper at Disney but were thinking of seeing the Halloween show at Universal Studios one night. Is it worth seeing?
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CA or FL?
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Which Disney park(s) are you interested in? There are four theme parks and you could spend a full day in any one of them.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:50 AM

If you have kids with you, the age of your children makes a difference in which park is best for your group.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

I am sorry-forgot to mention we are going to Disneyworld in Orlando. We are in our thirties and have no children. We plan on doing a one day park hopper- Animal Kingdom in the morning just the Safari- about 5 rides at Magic Kingdom and Epcot for Soarin and dinner only. But, the halloween show at universal studios is only available one night while we are there and want to know if it is worth the $ and time. We are staying at the hyatt grand cypress. Restaurant suggestions are also very much appreciated. We like chains- pf changs, maggianos, brio, etc. Thanks so much!
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM

I would pick one park and go with that for the day. You are going to waste a lot of time just going from one park to the next. Really to do the parks right you need more than a day at each one anyway. The rides @ Universal are more thrilling (faster, higher, loops etc). Dining is very good in the parks, especially Universal. Dining is good @ Epcot. THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN DO 4 PARKS IN ONE DAY. If you have never been to any of the parks,they are all fantastic. Much Much to do and see at all of them. Universal is more thrilling rides, but Disney is hard to beat overall.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM

I have to second that... you will waste crazy time trying to get to all the parks in one day. Plus they closer earlier in the fall no? I would say do a two day hopper, hit MGM and Animal Kingdom one day and then Magic Kingdom and Epcot another. The Universal Halloween show is fun... creepy, fear factor kind of stuff. The actors actually reach out at you.. little vinettes and haunted houses spread about with live actors. If your into Halloween its worth going to.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:45 AM

I've done three parks in one day, but you have to know your way around well to manage it. Note, you'll have to take a bus, then the monorail from Animal Kingdom to the Magic Kingdom. It takes a LONG time, especially if you miss the monorail, so hustle from the bus station to the monorail station. Don't take the ferry (even if it's sitting there looking like it's ready to leave), it takes even longer.

Seasons 52 is a great new chain that started in Orlando and is expanding across the South now. But make reservations ASAP (http://www.seasons52.com/reservations1.asp). If you can't get reservations, go early and eat in the bar. Full sized tables and service but they don't take reservations for them.

Though you are two adults, don't miss the Buzz Lightyear ride in the Magic Kingdom. My friends and I loved trying to beat each other's scores and went again and again because the line moves super fast.

If you grew up a Disney fan, Fantasmic at MGM is a not to miss show, even if you just go over at the end of the day after another park. If you like rollercoasters, hit the Tower of Terror before or after.

Personally, I'd splurge on tickets to La Nouba. It's my favorite Cirque de Soleil show and worth the money. There are really no bad seats, but try to get in the middle if you can.

Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge is a surprisingly good restaurant with an extensive South African wine list. You can take the Disney bus to and from Downtown Disney so you don't have to pay for a cab.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:14 AM
GoTravel

I love Seasons 52.

I think the parks close around 7PM this time of year.

My personal opinion of childless in your thirties is that spend the day doing Epcot, then happy hour your way around The World Showcase. Get a good spot for the fireworks.

Personally, I am a much bigger fan of Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:44 AM

I'd rethink your itinerary. Three parks in a day is a lot and you'll really be shortchanging yourself. Animal Kingdom is way more than just the safari, for example. The River Rapids, Dinosaur ride and Bugs Life 3D are all must-sees, imo, plus they have a fairly recent addition in the Everest coaster ride. And Epcot has tons of attractions for adults.

Two parks in a day for a couple with no small kids in tow is very doable. Transportation between the parks doesn't take that long. (For example, you can easily move between Epcot and MGM Studios using the ferry. It's a good chance to rest your feet and only takes maybe 20 minutes.)
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Childless in my thirties here, and a Disney nut ... I wouldn't do EPCOT if it was my only day at the parks. And I personally don't think Soarin' is a good enough attraction to warrant a visit. (It's cool ... but it's just a movie with funky seating). (awating flames for that comment, lol).

While I admire the ambition of your plan, I think in the end you'll be better off picking one park and sticking to it. Your day may not go as planned. There may be lines or crowds you're unprepared for that will throw you off schedule. And as other mentioned, you'll spend valuable park time moving between the parks instead of enjoying them.

If you stick to your plan... study the park maps and have them in your mind before you visit so you don't waste time figuring out where to go next and how to get there. Pick out where you'll eat so you don't waste time making that decision in the park. Get to AK before the gate opens and head directly to the safari as soon as the rope drops. (I would also recommend Expedition Everest, it's one of the best Disney attractions). Familiarize yourself with the FastPass system for use later in the day at MK. Skip the sit-down restaurants and snack your way through the parks.

Visit http://www.touringplans.com for the Disney Crowd Calendar for the next month. You may also want to check out their touring plans to help you attack the parks and make the most of your time.

Check out http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/ohours.htm for park hours for the day of your trip. They all seem to open at 9am in October and various closing times. The parks are not all open the same hours which may affect your day.

Personally, if this were my first trip to Disney I wouldn't take this approach. I would rather spend the day at the Magic Kingdom and take my time and absorb the atmosphere, do some shopping, see some of the shows and parades and other attractions and save the other parks for the next visit. I just think this day would be too stressful because there are so many things that can happen and ruin the plan.

Whichever you choose, have a great trip! And I second the recommendation of Seasons 52.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:43 AM

First timer tips:
Go early! Especially if you're doing the safari ride - you will be able to see many more animals if you hit that ride first thing.

Wear comfy shoes, use sunscreen, and stay hydrated.

As for Halloween Horror Nights, I've never been - it's just not my thing. But several 20 and early 30 somethings I work with go every year and love it. It's not a show, per se; it's haunted houses, shows, and getting chased down the streets by horror movie characters. If you enjoy horror movies, I'm sure you'd enjoy it.