Search

leaf viewing near boston

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 11:08 AM
bug
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leaf viewing near boston

we will be in the boston area weekend of oct 19. would like to head out of boston to see leaves changing and soak up some history.

any recommendations about where to go, where to spend the night? We would leave boston sat morning and return to boston in time to fly out monday midafternoon.

any tips, things to see, things to avoid?

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 11:50 AM
lvk

I would recommend the Berkshires, due west of Boston, for that time in the season. Here's a map loosely predicting where the peak foliage will be at that time:

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/foliage/findcolor.php

It might be tough if you don't already have reservations, as this is peak leaf-peeping season.

Good Luck!
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 12:24 PM

As lvk's map shows, Oct. 19 is getting late in the foliage season; there's a good chance that the Berkshires will be past their peak when you come. Book something more central (i.e., farther east or south) and you won't have far to go to wherever things are at their best.

Also, lvk's map's calendar shows that Oct. 19 is a Tuesday -- which weekend will you be here, the weekend before that or after -- it makes a big difference.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Alton Bay, New Hampshire. Take a hike up Mt Major nearby and the views will be stunning.

www.bayside-inn.com
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 01:43 PM

I would go to Plymouth. It is south of Boston, so leaves would still probably be good. The voliage seems to be late this year, so you will probably be ok. I did a meeting about 5 years ago at the Sheraton and everyone loved it. It is across the road from the Mayflower. They might even run a shuddle from Logan. I am not sure if it still is a Sheraton, but it's the only large hotel in downtown Plymouth
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 04:05 PM

I think there might still be some nice foliage to be seen by taking Route 2 West. Stop and visit Lexington and Concord. You could take a hike around Walden Pond. Continue west and it is a beautiful albeit windy road out to the MA/NY border.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 04:45 PM

Second Shaz60. Foliage could be mostly on its way out by then, but you never know, it could be good so your best bet is closer to Boston. The Concord/Lexington area would be a good possibilty or areas just west of the city, maybe along Rt. 2A through Minuteman Natl Park in Bedford/Lexington/Lincoln and out through Bolton and Stowe. Get a map and drive around. Lots of historic sites in Concord/Lexington and area that could take the better part of a day. The Mohawk Trail, Rt. 2, is another possibility but the farther west you go, the more likely the foliage will be gone. Find a good guidebook and decide what appeals to you. Have no experience with hotels because I live here but there are your typical chains along Rt. 128 (95)and 495. There may be some B&B's but don't know them. Some people recommend the areas toward Cape Cod but there aren't many trees there, so, while it can be a beautiful time on the Cape, I wouldn't recommend it for foliage,IMO.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 03:19 AM

One year we saw saw pretty good foliage on Oct 23 as we explored Rhode Island. Providence has expensive hotels and great restaurants. We heard the jack-o-lanterns at the zoo are wonderful to see at night. We had a weekend package deal at the Biltmore which wasn't bad for a city hotel. You don't have the dramatic mountains but foliage will be over in most of NH by then.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 05:04 AM
bug
Original Poster

thanks for all the responses. sorry, i had the dates wrong, they are sat & sun oct 16 & 17.

does that make a difference as to whther i choose the berkshires or concord/lexington?

also, if we go to concord, would you spend the night there or drive back to boston? thank you.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 05:09 AM

I would plan to stay in the Concord area, which is where the peak would normally be on those dates. This will put you in a good central spot where you can still get a hotel reservation and can drive in whichever direction turns out to have great foliage that weekend.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 05:45 AM

The choice is yours on staying the Concord area. It's not a long drive back to Boston but as Anon said you can go places from Concord. I think you are coming at a excellent time. Probably color left on the trees. Post Columbus Day so less crowds. We usually have beautiful weather in mid-October.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 06:56 AM
bug
Original Poster

thanks for the advice. i have made a res for the colonial inn in concord. it looks very interesting on the web. hope i'm right.

i sort of daydreamed my way thru american history in high school and college but am newly interested so i am very excited about this trip.

off to library to check out walden pond!
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Also recommend the areas off Route 495 Bolton, Berlin, Stow... and while your doing it youmight find time to go apple picking at the orchards and have some fresh cider.