Search

Boston in October

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston in October

Hello,

I will be in Boston for a couple of days in first week of October with my family (means kids). Since it will be a short stay, we good just like to get a general impression of the city. Good impression actually. Could someone please recommend nice, safe areas to drive around and walk around? We certainly wouldnt want to end up in industrial areas or parts with not so good reputation.

Also, could you please recommend good areas where I should look for hotels?

Finally, should I expect the famous fall color in first week of October? I wouldnt mind driving to countryside to some little town nearby for New England's feel of the Autumn.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

By the way, I should have mentioned I will be driving to NYC from Boston so perhaps I could stop along the way for fall foliage. Or do I need to go further North from Boston for that?
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 01:49 AM

First week in October there will only be foliage of any significance in much more northern New England and in some of the higher elevations.

October is one of the many popular times to visit Boston, and the many colleges have Parents' Weekends during early October - so hotels will be less available and even more expensive - be prepared for sticker shock. Hopefully you can afford to resist the impulse to stay at a hotel outside of central downtown area - Boston commuting is unique, and a hotel only 5-10 miles from downtown may have a commute of an hour. You will have a car, so parking at hotel will add to cost - but driving in from suburbs will not save you money as you will have to pay to park and the traffic might make you insane enough to require hospitalization - another cost. Parking at MBTA lots from suburbs may sound like a good idea, but spaces fill by 7-7:30 AM.

So, I may have convinced you to stay in city. Areas are called Back Bay, Copley, Faneuil Hall, Financial District, Downtown. Waterfront is less certain - some good, some not. All of the above areas are safe, lovely for walking. Avoid hotels called any city other than Boston, South End (wonderful area but no hotels and you end up in Dorchester), Dorchester. Best if you find a hotel to post name here or check Tripadvisor and Bostonian posters will advise.

Standard places to visit - walk Freedom Trail (a marked path thru city with several small museums and historic sites), Duck Tour, North End (Italian). Museums - Isabella Stewart Gardner (art but beautiful architecture and courtyard), Aquarium (not one of the nation's best, but OK - go around 2 PM when school groups have left), Science (one starting point of Duck Tour - can combine it in one day).

Since you will have a car you could drive to a beach, Gloucester or Rockport or several other places - but you say only a couple of days, so I would just do Boston.

Have a good trip - any other questions?
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 02:58 AM

Gail's suggestions are great. Color has started here in NH although just here and there. You will probably see some color on your drive to NYC esp since it's at the end of the week. It might not be spectacular. We think color may be earlier this year instead of later like in recent years. There can be a big difference in color between Boston and Concord NH, for example, yet Concord is only an hour from Boston. In two hours you can be in NH's lakes region just below the mountains. You could check a foliage map during your visit. If there is a fantastic weather day during your visit, I would vote on a drive north to do something the kids would enjoy. Once you get north of Manchester NH on Rt 93, the scenery can get interesting as you start to see mountains in the distance. The coast is warmer so color may not start as early but another option would be a day trip to Portsmouth NH with a short harbor or inland rivers cruise. Guess you can say that my vote for great weather days is to really get outside not just walk Boston streets.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 05:50 AM

Gail has given you one of my favorites, walking the Freedom Trail and going into the North End. You might also want to visit Old Ironsides as well.

Depending on the ages of the kids, you might want to take a look at Sturbridge Village west of Boston, on the drive home. Not only for the Fall Colors, but great history as well.