Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What are the best shows on Broadway (part II)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family went to NYC in 2007-saw Legally Blonde, Mary Poppins and Hairspray. Next summer will be an all girls trip - me and daughters 16 and 13. I just bought our Wicked tickets. I'm starting early, so I should be able to get tickets to about anything we choose. I was thinking about In the Heights. May squeeze in Chicago because it's the 16 year old's favorite musical.

What about Billy Elliot? The web site says not appropriate for kids under 8, so they must have toned the language down quite a bit from the movie.

Is Little Mermaid really awful? The 13 year old is interested in that. We have never gotten around to seeing Lion King. Should we?

What's the buzz on the new/not yet here shows?

Suggestions?
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 05:14 PM

The Little Mermaid is not one of Disney's best efforts on B'way. There are too many other good choices. 'The Lion King' is wonderful, but you're going with teenagers. Consider 'A Tale of Two Cities' which is in previews now. If you think your girls would like 'Les Miz', then get tickets for this musical. It's part love story, tragedy and history. The lead actor is quite handsome. Teenagers really like 'In the Heights.' A revival of 'West Side Story' will be opening soon with its great music and book based on Romeo and Juliet.

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 05:21 PM

The costumes in Lion King are amazing. I saw it when I was 29 and loved it! It is definitley an experience they will not forget.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:06 AM

In the Heights was great!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone tell me about the language in Billy Elliot? Have they toned it down from the movie?
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 07:24 AM

It hasn't opened yet, not even in previews. Website reads " May be inappropriate for 8 and under. (It contains strong language and some scenes of confrontation between policemen and miners.)
Children under the age of 4 are not permitted in the theatre."

They're making a musical of 9 to 5 which could be fun. If daughter wants to see Little Mermaid, it's regularly available on broadwaybox.com on discount or at the TKTS booth. You'd just have to wait til a few months before your trip. Just leave a time to schedule it.

In the Heights won the Tony for best new muscial last year. It's got hip hop music that the girls might like.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I have terrific seats for Wicked and Billy Elliot. We'll probably go for In the Heights, then see what shows we can get discount ticktets for. Thanks everyone.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM

I saw Billy Elliot in London when it opened and the language is similar to the movie. Almost every member of the cast from the kids to the police to Grandmama lets loose a blue rant at one point or another.

There are also several British colloquialisms that many people may not fully understand.

The confrontation scenes do very well to unsettle you as the police are dressed fully in black with helmets, full-height lexan shields and batons. As I recall, they begin a couple of the scenes tapping a slow cadence on the shields with the batons, but eventually speed up and echo some of the tap steps, so they're a bit less menacing.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 06:07 PM

I agree about Billy Eliott, assuming the language has not changed from the London production.
But language aside, it's a great choice.

I'm thinking there was as much language issue and sexual innuendo in In the Heights? No?

On the other hand, you won't find a better production currently than Gypsy!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Is Gypsy actually good? I adore Patty LuPone but I get so tired of some musicals (Gypsy included). Is there anything fresh and new about it?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 05:28 AM

When are you coming? Did I miss that?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

July 1-6.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 07:18 AM

I saw Gypsy this past Saturday, it was FANTASTIC!!!!!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 07:18 AM

misspie, in my book, (and most everyone else who has seen it, it would appear), it is sensational. All top three stars won Tonys for their performances, which is rare in any musical. I've probably seen 12 or 15 productions of Gypsy, including having directed it myself. It is a sensationally well done production. And what they do with Electra, the "electric" stripper, who appears to be very long in the tooth and has had far too much electricity going through her brain is worth the price of admission alone!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I'll put Gypsy on my list. There are discount offers on broadwaybox.com, so I guess I'll wait until closer to the show to buy tickets. How long do you think the current cast will stay on? Any chance we'll still get Patty next July?

Question: The 13 year old mentioned to me that she wants to see a musical that is funny. What is good AND funny (in a way appropriate for a 13 year old)?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 10:54 AM

What about "Avenue Q?" My kids were a bit older than yours when they saw it and loved it. In fact, I don't know anyone that didn't like it. But, is the 13 year old mature enough?

Anyone want to comment on that?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 01:26 PM

good thread. I am taking dd to see Legally Blonde and just got tickets today for Hairspray.

When does Billy Elliot open? I will have to check it out..

I loved Wicked Missy - saw it in LA - it has to be my all time favorite musical ever. Helps I am a huge Wizard of Oz fan.

I was under wowed with Lion King. But most are thrilled with it.

Great thread!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 02:18 PM

One more here that was impressed with Gypsy. I am not at all a fan of musical theater, or much theater for that matter, but this was done in a fresh, clever and interesting way. Acting and singing great across the board.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 04:04 PM

No way Avenue Q for you Missypie!!!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 04:14 PM

i saw "A Tale of Two Cities." There's kind of a weird dynamic going on when you see it, because you can't help but compare it to Les Miz, which it is not as good as. It's a great story, though (duh!) and the cast is wonderful!

Also, I think Patrick's recollection of "In the Heights" may be right. I at least remember some "unwed" evening together if you catch my drift, and you seem to be a very careful parent.

there is a show coming soon called "13." I know it features kids in the cast and is about a bar mitzvah. Not sure about the content, but I know my DD really wants to see it.

I loved Lion King. It is beautiful!! I only saw it a few years ago myself, and was floored. I've heard pretty good things about Mermaid. Disney really does put on some dazzling shows.

what about "Spamalot?" We're seeing that soon, so I don't know if it's too off-color, but it is supposed to be funny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -