Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

LAX-a-phobic needs between-terminal advice! Pleeeze...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never flown through LAX before, so I am really in need of advice. My Hawaiian flight arrives at 9:45pm at Terminal 2, and my Continental flight leaves at 11:25pm from Terminal 6.I have printed out a map of LAX, and I see that these two terminals are about as far away as you can get. So:
1. Is it better to walk or take the shuttle bus this time of night, considering the short time between flights?
2.Is there a walkway between terminals, or would I need to walk around the horseshoe?
3. Will I have to go thru security again before the Continental flight?
I really appreciate any suggestions you have.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bus "A" is easy to catch and will take you there in a few minutes. If you walk across the parking lots and structures if would be longer and much less safe.
You will have to clear security again at terminal 6.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:04 PM

1) I would take the shuttle.
2) Best walk would be around the horseshoe on the arrivals (upper) level.
3) yes. I go through security at T6 sometimes when I am on United and the lines are very short. YMMV, though, because maybe I just haven't been going thru there when there were multiple CO flights.

You can go to the street on the departure level (lower level, past baggage claim). When you get outside you will see islands in the street where people are waiting for shuttle buses (rental car, hotel, ...). Each shuttle stop has a colored sign above it.

You want to go to the stop under the blue sign. I think it says "Airport terminal and parking shuttle" or something like that. Take the "A" bus for airport terminal transfers.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 03:27 PM

When your shuttle gets to T6 look for an escalator or steps, outside, to go up to the departure level where you will go thru security.

If you find yourself on the upper level at terminal 2 (only sky above the roadway out front) then you really ought to go down to the lower level to get the shuttle. I suppose the A probably doesn't run up there and the parking shuttles (B,C) that do drive the upper level are dropping people off, may not stop at T2, and/or would stop on the road (so you might have to flag them down and run out in front of traffic). On the lower level the bus stops right at the curb where you would board: under the BLUE sign.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your responses-- I really appreciate the feedback and advice. I guess I will take the shuttle, and hope it doesn't take too long, since I am worried about making the connection. Do you think it is possible/feasible to catch a cab that can whip me around to Terminal 6, or is that overkill? Would the cabs be in the same area as the shuttle bus? I'd just hate to get stuck overnight at LAX, all by my lonesome.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 05:01 AM

Cabs often wait a long long time at the airport to get to the front of the queue. They will not take you, or will really hate you, taking you between terminals.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Forget about taking the cab, for the reasons that rkkwan cited. Also, they don't stop under the BLUE sign where you will be waiting for the shuttle.

You have enough time if your flights are on time. Would be good if you only had carry on.

On multiple occaisions I have made it from Seal Beach (a block from the pier) in Orange County to the C parking lot at LAX, parked, caught and rode the C shuttle to terminal 6 or 7, got thru security, and to a gate in T6 or T7 in LESS THAN AN HOUR.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 10:04 AM

I don't remember the last time I checked luggage, so it would take some time if you had to do that. But not a lot from what I've seen in passing thru there.

It occurs to me that one reason that the security lines in T6 are short is because there are several United gates there. A lot of people are checking in at T7 for United flights and going thru security there and then crossing over to T6. I've done it.

Also would be good if you had your boarding pass when you got to T6.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Plus Hawaiian flights often arrive a little bit early....
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 12:08 PM

I have walked it before and it was easy. Walk over to the satellite-shaped restaurant, walk to the left around the restaurant, cut through to the parking lot in front of terminal 6 and then a bit further. About a 5 min walk, very easy with wheeled luggage. Basically the same walk that you'd take from terminal 2 out to terminal 2 parking garage....not much further at all.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 07:23 PM

joesource, do you mean on the lower level?

I was disagreeing with someone about walking from T1 to T7. I had done that, but when I was departing and too impatient to wait for the bus to go around so I got off at T1 and walked. But it involved going up stairs, across a bridge over the road, across the roof of a garage, down stairs, across the roof of another garage, then upstairs to the bridge and across to the terminal. Found it to be much simpler to stay on the bus as it only takes a couple of minutes to go around.

But I suppose you could walk straight across on the lower level! Just don't walk against the light! Wait for the walk signal to go across and stay in the crosswalk lines. I got a ticket by a motorcycle cop when I walked across the road against the light from T7 to the garage. It was over a hundred bucks.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 08:36 PM

Unless you are in a rush, take the bus. It is lots easier than walking.