Last Day for Chagall-will we get in??

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Day for Chagall-will we get in??

Hello ALL!
Thinking of heading to SF MOMA Tuesday to spend the afternoon (?) at the exhibit. Any words of wisdom or advice. Of course, we have to buy our tickets there-how many lines will we be standing in? Mid afternoon-better than 10AM or ? Thoughts please!
Gracias
R5
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:59 PM

Most likely you will be standing in an endless line... even will-call won't help, I was there on Sunday a week ago at 10 am - it was a riot! Perhaps early pm hours are the best, although I can't know that. It will be extremely crowded.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks FainaAgain! I was afraid of that
do you know if they stagger the times they let people in? to limit how many are in the exhibit at one time? that might account for the long lines ?
R5
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:52 PM

I don't know, Dazzle, I was with a group, so I spend maybe 5 minutes inside, only remember that the Will Call line was slower then the ticket buyer's line and less organized. Try to get in... if it doesn't work go to the Legion of Honor for 19th century photos from India and Degas sculpture.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Faina-Now that's a thought! Why not play hooky and join us-we can call you if Chagall is a no go -that would be fun!
R5
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:24 PM

Is it still possible to purchase tickets beforehand?

When I went shortly after the exhibit opened in the summer, I bought my ticket at the visitors' information center at Powell and Market. I arrived at the museum well befre 10 am and when they opened the doors, the line split--will-call, those with tickets, and those without. Those with ticket in hand entered with no delay.

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:18 PM

Razzledazzle:First off, Happy Anniversary! Regarding the Chagall exhibit..you might go and take your chances. You mihgt also consider joining which will cost you a bit more than the entrance to the Chagall but not much more(I think we paid $35 for 2 tix without the audio part) Members seemed to be heading up to the 5th floor where the exhibit is from a different point. The rest of us started in line on the 2nd floor and wound our way ever so slowly to the 5th where the exhibit is. It is a substantial exhibit and takes much time. It was packed when we were there however that was on a Sunday(10/26). We took time off after seeing the Chagall to hoof over to Lulu for lunch and then went back for the Arbus exhibit. Th Arbus exhibit will be there until late January I think but it is an absolutely must see. I actually preferred it..but I have been a fan of hers from way back. Upon our return from lunch we just walked through the revolving doors and up to the 4th floor where Arbus is. I think you could try walking through those same doors and hit the membership desk straight on. This might be your best bet to both beat some of the crowds and also move to the exhibit in some other way then creeping slowly upward with the rest of the masses. I'd think the earlier you get there the better. When we returned frol lunch(late 3 ish) the lines were still quite long.You might also consider seeing the Arbus exhibit first, breaking for lunch and then returning to the Chagall exhibit in the late afternoon(maybe it will be less crowded). We skipped the audio compnent of the tour but most folks seemed to have them. This slows the pace immensely. I felt it was worth seeing..in one's lifetime. I loved the works of the old villages in Russian and particularly those of him and his wife flying above everything. But I cannot say enough about the Arbus exhibit. If you can't bear the crowds or get entry to Chagall, stick around for the Arbus show or come back for it.
Lunch at Lulu's was good. We hadn't eaten there in 100 years..the pan roasted mussels still delight! It might well be one of those crystalline and crisp days in the city which is, after all, also worth the trip. Sorry for the delay in answering you..I was at the hospital the better part of today and, as always, check into Fodor's as a way of winding down. I'm looking forward to the GTG and think I'll bring a bottle of that WesMar I keep going on about so that you all might get a taste.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Razzle, whatever you do - remember to vote
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:39 AM

razzle--

Did you go to the exhibit?