Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Long lines for Reichstag and Pergamonmuseum?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please share any info on how long it generally takes to enter the Reichstag or Pergamonmuseum. We'll be in Berlin for a short time ( 8/9 to 8/13 )and don't want to spend a lot of time waiting in lines. Has anyone hired a guide and thereby eliminated waiting in line?
Thanks for any information.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:49 AM

My son went to the Reichstag at 8 PM and found there was still a significant line. We had been told to go late in the evening (I didn't get there myself). I've heard you can make a reservation at the cafe and get in that way, but I don't know any details. I think the earliest possible time in the morning might work out all right also.

I don't recall seeing any lines at the Pergamonmuseum (again, didn't get there either, but passed it).
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:59 AM
yk

Hi dkrom96

To bypass the line at Reichstag, you can make a reservation at the rooftop restaurant for lunch or dinner. We had lunch there and the food was excellent (and not outrageously pricey). With the reservation, you can skip the line and enter via the handicapped entrance. The link below will give you more details:
http://www.bundestag.de/htdocs_e/info/050vberl.html

When we were in Berlin last Sept (1st week of Sept), we didn't experience long lines at the Pergamon, but I think we went late in the afternoon (on the day that the museum opens until late).
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 10:00 AM
yk

BTW, obviously, at the Reichstag, instead of standing in line to get in, you'll end up spending the same amount of time eating instead. So, you don't really "gain" any time by eating there, but we felt it was a nice experience.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 10:02 AM

I think I arrived around 9:20ish when I was there last August. The line was manageable, but I was told that there would be a chance that I wouldn't make it -- the building, I think, closes at midnight, though you'll only be let in if you get before 10, if I remember correctly.

I did make it. It's well worth seeing, of course. But you'll want to be sure that the dome is actually open as it's closed periodically for cleaning.

I was also at the Pergamonmuseum and I don't recall a long line. The Miletus Gate was all covered up though when I was there, if I remember correctly, and there was a lot of construction work on Museuminsel. Again, this is an attraction that's well worth your time.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 10:04 AM

By the way, I took a Berlin Walks tour and I seem to remember that guide told us that the Reichstag wait is usually at least 90 minutes unless you go later in the evenings -- but then you risk not getting in at all.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 01:03 PM
yk

Hey 111op-

Looks like we missed each other in Berlin by 1 month!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 01:13 PM

Yeah, I could have prepared a list of quiz questions for you. We wouldn't have Google though.

What's happened to that game thread? We need DT.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 02:16 PM

The two times I have been to the Pergamon Musuem there weren't any lines. But when I was there last Nov. there was a lot of scaffolding all over the place. As noted, it is still worth seeing. I think the Pergamon is one of the must-sees in Berlin.

When I was at the Reichstag it was a Monday morning last Nov. There was a line but it moved fairly quickly. When you get up to the top you will get some great views of Berlin.

Enjoy your trip! Berlin is a fascinating city.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 03:57 AM

I was in Berlin in late June. We went past the Reichstag several times during the day/early evening when the lines were extremely long. We went back about 9:00 p.m. and there was barely any line; we got in quickly and were able to stay for quite some time and also have it not be too crowded up top while we were there.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses regarding long lines. We recently returned from Berlin and we did wait in line for the Reichstag. We went in the evening about 7:30 and were in line for about an hour. It was worth it. As for the Pergamonmuseum, there were no lines. And it is a wonderful museum!
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 05:19 PM
yk

Glad that you had a good time. Thanks for reporting back!