Arriving late or early morning in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For our weeklong trip next June, I am beginning to watch for airfares to purchase airline tickets. I had originally thought we would book a late night departure and arrive in the early morning. Would it be better (I will have two kids- 14 and 10 with me) to leave the east coast early in the morning and fly into Heathrow at night, get an economical hotel room near the airport and then check into our flat rental the next day to start the week? What are your thoughts on this possibility? Are there any clean, inexpensive hotels near LHR? Would this option help the kids not to be as wiped out in the first few days after traveling? Is one departure (AM or PM) more inexpensive or historically in the summer months? Or is it better to just go at night and hopefully sleep through the 7-8 hours? I just don't know if they will and then I know I am in for quite a bit of grumpiness for at least a day! Thanks everyone!
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 05:57 AM

You are obviously a better judge of your kids - jetlag is a drag on folks of all ages. I've toyed with the idea of an evening arrival in london and staying at the airport, but never did it. Don't know if its being cheap (extra night in hotel) or the MACHO thing (I'm tough enough to beat a little jetlag). However, the option is looking better and better as I get older. Good luck in your decision.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 06:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
In June, it's going to be a long day, no matter what time you get in. Since you're leaving from the east coast, if you leave in the morning, you will probably arrive at LHR before it's dark (it gets dark really late in June). That should give you enough time to get into the center of London without having to stay at a hotel around Heathrow. It's only about a half hour to the center of London from there anyway. So based on the length of your flight and the time of the year, I'd say you're better off taking the morning flight.

Last summer we flew overnight (but from the west coast, so the time frame is different) with our then 13 y.o. We arrived at Heathrow around 11 a.m., and my son didn't have a lot of sleep. My friend picked up my husband and our luggage (not enough room for son and me) to his home in Brentwood Essex (about 50 miles from LHR), while my son and I hopped on the tube to Liverpool St. station, then took the commuter train to his home. We still had plenty of energy to last out the day.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 06:28 AM

We've only taken evening flight from the east coast and can never sleep on the plane and are completely wiped out once we arrive. Every time I say I'm going to try the morning flight out but I always find a better price leaving at night.
As Degas said only you know your kids but I can tell you my 17 year old was just as tired and grumpy as the rest of us. Flying east is always rough no matter what time it is I suspect.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 06:35 AM

I thought those flights landed around 2100? Don't forget to factor in customs, baggage pick up and getting some cash from an ATM. Then you factor in transport to London. Just walking across the crosswalk to the Hilton might seem mighty nice at that point.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Yes, Degas but don't forget the "actual hours" of the flight. I've only done the daytime flight from the US to London once and it was wonderful. Although we had to get up very early to get to the airport and we arrived in London at 9PM it was "actually" 4 PM to us. So by the time we did customs, got to our flat, went out for a little walk, we were ready for bed (still early to us by US time standards, but ready for bed since it had been such a long day). But next morning we were up at 6 or 7 and raring to go. It was infinitely better than the night time flight to me. And depending on the time your flat will be ready, we've opted to go ahead and start our flat rental that first night. Sure beats arriving in the morning and waiting until afternoon to "check in".
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

degas, tudorprincess, et al- the one British Air flight out of Dulles lands at 20:15. How much time does it usually take to go through customs, get baggage, the ATM on the average? Would it be better to stay at say the Hilton or another hotel there or should we try to head into London? If we were to do this option, the whole point would be giving the kids (and me ) a decent night's sleep, so I wouldn't want to get to a hotel too late. Also, is the Hilton there the only hotel that is in walking range? Anything on a moderate/economy level? Many thanks for all of your help.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 06:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We've done both the day and night flights and I DEFINITELY prefer the day flight arriving into London at night. I don't think there's a need to stay near the airport. As Patrick says, your body clock will be 5-7 hours ahead London. Pre-book a car to take you to your hotel/flat. You'll have enough energy to take a walk, grab something to eat, poke around your flat and go to bed. Much better than not sleeping on the airplane and then being being cheerily told to rise and shine when your body thinks in 2 am.

The Hilton is the only hotel within walking distance of Terminal 4. Others are nearby but will involve cabs, cars or shuttles and if you're going to do that you might as well go the distance to your flat.

The impact of jet lag varies with the individual, obviously, but I'd say it diminished the effects by half for us.

The one disadvantage to the day flight is you spend an entire day flying.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 06:54 AM

You probably posted before seeing my response, but once again, keep in mind the time difference. Even though it will have seemed like a long day traveling, it is doubtful that anyone will be dead tired and ready to go to bed the minute you get to your flat or hotel even if it is 10 or 11 PM. Realize to you it will only be 5 or 6 PM, so you'll want to spend some time walking out the kinks or doing something, before going to bed late -- but you WILL be getting up early the next morning, I guarantee you.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 07:02 AM

I agree with Patrick. If you arrive at 20.15, it will still seem early to you. Everyone will be excited about being in London, and you may not be able to sleep straight away anyway. And you will have to take your luggage to the hotel, unpack a few things for the night, and check out again in the morning, when you will be joining the rush-hour traffic into London.
I would go straight into town when you arrive.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 07:40 AM

Given a 2015 arrival, I think I'd also press on into town. Work off some excess energy/excitement and position yourself for an easy start the next day.

Could you go right to the flat and not add a bag-drag at a hotel and a move to the flat the nexy day?
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 07:55 AM

I agree that you should go straight into London. I don't think it's ever taken us more than 2 1/2- 3hrs. max from landing to the city centre. Depending on how much $ you want to spend you could take the Heathrow Express as it's only a 15min. ride into Paddington but it's the most costly option.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 08:01 AM

Hi--for what it is worth, since jet lag seems to hit everyone a little differently, I have flown both methods and even though I felt better on arrival using the day flt, for some reason it took me twice as long to shake the jet lag. On the third night we were there--normally I would have been well adapted by then--when the lights went out for a theater production, I fell asleep immediately and felt a kind of exhaustion never before experienced in many trips to Europe. The only difference I could cite was the day flight, altho maybe that was not the cause...
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 08:55 AM

I've done the night flight and the day flight with kids a bunch of times. The day flight is easier on the mind/body and jet lag is less- in my opinion. The biggest problem with the day flight is that you'll "lose" a day of vacation flying.
Don't forget to factor in the price difference of the extra night's hotel room with the flight prices.

If you do the overnight flight try to not to nap- or nap for less than an hour on the first day. That way you'll go to bed earlier- and get up earlier the next day too.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 09:04 AM
vcl

We usually do the night flight from Newark that lands at Heathrow about 9 a.m. GMT. By the time we ge through immigration, collect baggage, get through customs, hit a Heathrow ATM, and cab into town, our flat is ready. We do a little essential shopping -- coffee, tea, bottled water, cheese and crackers, wine -- then nap for a couple of hours. Then we're off for some light sightseeing before picking up the essentials for a light dinner and early to bed. The next morning, we're off and running. We've been doing it this way for a decade and it really works for us.
One year, when our London sojourn required a side trip to Greece for a christening, we took day flight to London, spent a night at a hotel near Heathrow, then flew out to Greece the next morning. That worked well, too, and we were ready to party when we arrived in Athens.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone for the great advice! I think I am now going to try to get an early morning flight out rather than the late one. We have already made reservations for the flat, but I am going to email the rental agency to see if we can add the night before the original start date-thanks degas. That seems like the best choice. The flat is about 85 pounds a night- I doubt if I can find any hotels for a better rate and I guess it would be worth any additional cost to be right "at home" in the morning. We will see what they say.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 12:16 PM

My wife and I took our 10 year old granddaughter and 14 year old grandson to London in Feb. 2001. We took the 8 AM flight from Boston, the Express to Paddington, walked to hotel, checked in, freshened up, went out to dinner and then to bed. Next morning after breakfast (included) walked to the Italian Garden in Hyde Park, then grabbed the hopon/hopoff bus at Lancaster Gate and spent the balance of the day just doing that. Had dinner and went to bed.

The following year, we took the evening flight to Paris with the grandchildren. It was BA so we had to connect at Heathrow. There was a flight controllers slowdown so instead of arriving in Paris at 9 or 10 AM it was closer to noon. Went to the hotel, had a lunch at a cafe on Blvd Montparnasse, did some sightseeing, ate dinner and went to bed.

None of us had a problem with jetlag with either scenario. The children's energy level was high for something new as was ours for the thrill of introducing them to Europe. We had two hotel rooms with twin beds in each city, female in one room and male in the other.

Even though we don't sleep well on planes, we much prefer the night flights even if it is tourist class.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 03:05 PM

We like the day time flight from Toronto to LHR and have done it four times. Do press on to your ultimate destination. Don't expect to be able to sleep right away, it is early back home after all. We find that we can get to sleep by about 1 or 2 AM London time. It is a very civilized way to go but does cost a day.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 04:59 PM

KandKsmom - have your kids flown before or flown on a long flight? I can only speak to the overnight flight, never done the day flight.

We took our 14 and 15 year olds. One had never flown. We opted for the night flight because the kids went to school as usual (which meant getting up early) and checked out of school early afternoon for our 5 PM flight. As soon as dinner was served, both kids fell asleep watching the movie. In other words, they were pooped and they didn't get "bored" or "hyper" after such a long time in the air (DFW to LGW).

We were a little grumpy upon arrival (7:45 AM), but a 2 hour nap and off we went. We then were up until 10 PM London time.

Just a thought to think about how your kids react to flying and being "cooped" up for extended periods. Some kids handle it well, others don't so a night time flight might help curb the boredom if they are tired and will sleep.

Have fun!
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 05:20 PM

Flying from the West Coast, I prefer the day flights. I change planes at O'Hare or JFK arriving at Heathrow at 6 AM the next morning. i don't consider it a lost day of vacation since I am travelling (one of the best ways to spend a vacation). I can't sleep on planes, but I take off immediately when I arrive in London. I've never had jet lag - I always go for a walk when I arrive - one of my favorite things to do - wandering the neighborhoods of London.