What NOT to see in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious what attractions/neighborhoods in London people have found to be either "tourist traps" or just plain not worthwhile. Am planning my first visit in a few weeks and will be there a week. Generally, I like to do a lot of walking around when I visit a city and try to "become" a local for the length of my visit. I try to use my time wisely and don't feel compelled to visit every tourist attraction.

Thoughts on absolute "must-sees" are also appreciated!

thanks!
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 02:38 PM

IMHO, the list of must-not-sees should be topped by the London Dungeon. Madame Tussaud's is a close second in my book, though a lot of people seem to have had fun there.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 02:40 PM

Not necessary - Kensington Palace

Necessary - Tower of London (go when it opens)
Madame Tussouds (go when it opens, and buy tickets ahead)
Westminster Abbey
London Eye
Buckingham Palace
West End Show
Portobello Rd Markets

There's a start.
How long will you be there for?

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 02:46 PM

Disappointing- Carnaby Street! Not nearly as interesting as some of the boutiques we have here in NYC, and a very short street with too many junky tourist shops.

Also, and I'm sure other people will disagree with me, I really didn't like Knightsbridge, especially the Brompton Road area near Harrods. I mean unless you're a serious and wealthy shopper, it's boring, and most stores, restaurants, etc. seem to close up tight very early at night. We really preferred Mayfair and Picadilly Circus this time for good wandering and eating.

Have fun!
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 02:58 PM

Don't : London Dungeon, Tower bridge experience; Madame Tussaud, Vinopolis

Do: many things, but I'd include Kew Gardens and Hampton Court Palace, Tower of London (buy tickets at nearby Undeground Station train tickets office), British Museum, National Gallery, Tate and Modern Tate
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 03:23 PM

To each his own. I would say NOT to the Tate Modern unless you're really into that modern "art". When I went last year, I kept saying to myself "huh?" and "why am I here?"

But I can check it off the list now and don't plan to go a second time.

MUST SEE - London Eye. The view is outstanding and I will definitely go again.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 03:29 PM

You know, it all depends on your likes and dislikes - what someone else finds "not worth it" is the highlight of anothers trip. That said, we really thought the Tate Modern was a waste of time (well, they do have a really crazy piano you have to see to believe). We're museum lovers, like art, etc. but the Tate was not our cup of tea! We also thought Kew Gardens was pretty boring, but again it's a personal thing.

We've been going to London every year for a long time and rent an apartment and try and feel like locals for a short time anyway, which means going to grocery stores too (which can be real fun even if you hate grocery shopping home).

Must see's for first timers are in the eyes of the beholder, but I'd recommend The Tower, Buckingham Palace, London Eye (for the views, go at twilight, very nice!), Westminster Abbey, just walking the various neighborhoods (one of my favorite pastimes), The British Museum, The Museum of London, The V&A Museum, and the lovely small museums, The Wallace Collection, Geoffrye House, Aspley House .. all wonderful, choose one if you can't do them all. Hampstead Heath is another favorite of mine, as is Regent's Park (London parks are splendid).

To get out of London a bit I'd suggest #1 Hampton Court, #2 Windsdor Castle, #3 Greenwich (take the boat down, tube back it's faster). Lots of great places a bit further from London but you may not have time.

Really tho,it's what you enjoy that makes the trip, whether it's a walk in the park, theater every night, shopping till you drop, or services at St. Paul's, or standing with the crowd in front of Buckingham Palace hoping "someone" comes out! (Hey, you never know).

Enjoy the trip!

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 05:02 PM
vcl

I'd happily close down "The Clink" and Madame Toussad's (avoid at all costs on a warm day -- it's not air conditioned.)

If you're a serious walker, start off in St. James Park and keep going through Green Park and Hyde Park until you get to Kensington Gardens. You'll be exhausted and exhilirated.

Out of town, I'd skip Stratford -- it's a Shakespearean tourist trap. But do go to the new Globe Theater in London for the tour and a performance.

On the great churches beat, if you have a choice between York Mister and Canterbury Cathedral, take York. Much less commercial.

Again these are the personal preferences of a frequent visitor. My usual advice to a first time traveler to London is to hit the bus tour on the first or second day, then decide what you want to go back to explore in depth.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 05:06 PM

Madam Tussauds, if only because of the outrageous entrance fee.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 05:10 PM

Another must-see: the Courtauld Gallery (it's one of 3 galleries at Somerset House). Also, try to spend some time strolling through city parks or the Chelsea Physic Garden; not only are they beautiful, they offer a much needed mental break from the noise and congestion of such a large city.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 06:04 PM

But ThinGorJus, they Do get HIT, right? That must give you some solace.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 06:07 PM

Here's a suggestion for a great place to go: Primrose Hill! It's quite a hike up the hill but the views of London below are unbelieveable! I am terrible with directions so I can't tell you exactly how to get there. We walked there after going through Regent's Park. I believe it's near the Camden Locks area. I read about it in a guidebook so I'm sure you could find good directions.

I love all the London parks--Regent's is my favorite, but St. James, Hyde Park, and Kensington Gardens are also wonderful. Just spending time exploring these parks, having picnics, etc. was a favorite activity of mine in London. To me, the parks are definte "must sees."

I also second the recommendation about going to Greenwich by boat and seeing Hampton Court Palace and Windsor Castle. Great day trips and so much to see. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 06:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't een there for many years but I loved the Soames Museum, trials at the old Bailey(the formal name of which is the central criminal court) watching the tradition -bound trappings wigs and robes worn by lawyers and judges. The line forms on Newgate Street and as I recall a fwe late morn hours and a few afternoon. A sign posted the days hearings,
Debates in the house of commons was fun(and I thought our Boston lawyers were flashy)There's a "strangers'gallery" easy to get into but a line. I forget the hours.
Lunch hours on leather lane was a great market for flea market things that was open only diuring lunch hours.
Now my info. goes way back so look for an update as my fav boutiques are no longer like Ossie Clark(tho I read there's a great exhibit of his fashions, Annacat, and is Voyageurs still there?
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 07:27 PM

I lived in England for 2 years when I was 18/19 y.o. I never really took advantage of my good luck at living there.

I went to London a few times, never seriously checked out tourist sights. However, my mother visited while I lived there and she dragged me (nearly literally) to Stratford, Bath, Stonehenge, Salibury, Colchester, etc. I am so glad that she did. Not only because it was wonderful to touch the "other" stones on the Salisbury plain and to see the White Horse, but because I shared it with my mother. Who by the way, put up with driving about in my crappy little french Simca, which overheated constantly. I remember her making up silly songs as we made our way back to Ipswich, her eye constantly on the fuel gauge, which never moved, cuz it was broken.

Ten years later I found myself in London again. Alone this time. Did I take the opportunity to take in "the sights?" No. I went to the theater every day. I checked out what plays were being performed and I called the will-call office and was able to get very good last minute seats to several plays. After each play, I treated myself to great meals. Usually Indian, cuz that's my fav.

My mother died a few years ago. Last year I was at my brother's house and I saw a pin that I recognized on his mantle. It was a replica of a Roman pin that my mother purchased at the Roman temple in Colchester (the day the pub manager allowed us to stay during the afternoon closing time). My brother had no idea what it was. I explained the history. I told the story. I took that pin home and put in a box with the same pin that I owned. I'll keep it until my niece is old enough to receive it.

I guess I really haven't answered the question posed, but the original post brought back these memories.

You see, it's not always about what to see, what to do, what to avoid. But instead it can be about who you are with.

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 07:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for sharing the memory MizzEve. S
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 07:47 PM

The Museum of London is not as well known as the others but worth a visit.It traces London history from Roman times to present. Part of the original London wall is still standing beside the museum. Quite an interesting place. If you like art try Wallace Museum.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 10:48 PM

I agree: please miss Mme Tussauds, the London Dungeon, Carnaby Street, Vinopolis, Tate Modern (unless you like it), and the Clink. There is little point in seeing Big Ben and even lessin seeing Piccadilly Circus. The changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace gives a long wait for little pleasure: the changing of the horse guards on Whitehall is a better idea, but still not brilliant.

[email protected]
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:07 PM

Mizzeve. I think we were living in London at the same time. Were you studying there? Where did you live?

I almost stopped reading when I got to the "horrid, fat, stupid Americans" disertation by Thingorjus, but I am glad I continued to read or else I would have missed your post. It is people like you who really "get it" about traveling and whose reports I enjoy the most.

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:08 PM

Don't wear your "God Bless America" tee-shirt in London. They just might not accept your money!
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:42 PM

Mizz Eve, that was lovely to read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -