Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Officials to close the line to view the Pope

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...u/pope_scene_6
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:51 AM

I'm so sorry for those who have waited so long and will be turned away, but this is obviously a necessary step in preparation for the funeral. I don't think anyone imagined in their wildest dreams that the Pope's death would generate the obvious outcry of sorrow and desire to view his body.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:55 AM

I just heard that too about the line being closed soon. RAI (the italian station) reported that anyone in line within the next two hours will be able to still get in, however the wait now is ventiquatro ore (24 hours). I think it is outstanding and wonderful to see so many make the effort. I would totally stand in line for 24 hours even for 5 seconds to pay my respects, and think it is awesome that so many others feel the same way. It seems a small price to pay considering he gave 80+ years of his life here on earth. Bravo everyone. I think it is awesome. Wish I could be there to distribute bottled water and/or food to the faithful.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:10 AM

I hate to be so practical, but what restroom facilities are there for people who have these long waits? Do they lose their place in line if they go? How about people bringing children?

As distasteful as it might be, perhaps there should have been a system of numbered reservations.

Still, I am somewhat awed by those who are suffering these hardships in order to view the pope's body. It's hard for me to understand in one sense, but I was also awed by the obvious devotion of the faithful when I went to the papal audience in January.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:14 AM
JJ5

Please, if you feel that way- find some place to volunteer your time right where you live. We have need for people in shelters, food stations etc. constantly. If you want to emulate, you need to do and live it. I could find a place for you to do meals in Joliet IL tonight, if you want.

Catholic Charities or any food pantry in your community; you need to look no further. He would have been the last person who would have wanted this kind of circus. Feelings are one thing, but until you put them into deeds- they mean little.

As a Catholic to other Catholics who are waxing sentimental and walking down memory lane with their feelings, the first thing you might do, is start going to Church. And also pray.

I wish they would have closed the "line" earlier- and put people to some tasks. How about some great prayer services in all kinds of different Churches of every kind toward solid prayer for an inspired and Ecumenical next Pope. Think of the possibilities with all this emotion if doors were open.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:21 AM

WillTravel: Re your question about leaving the line to use a bathroom, I heard this morning they could return to their place in line, but no mention of where the bathrooms were. I have used a bathroom at the outer edge of the Piazza, but can't imagine they wouldn't need portable toilets for a crowd this large. The scope of this whole thing is mind boggling, but so far it seems Rome is doing a good job, and the crowds are respectful and patient. It's all really quite wonderful!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

There was an amazing story on Nightline last night...the host stood in line with all the others, I believe it was around 7-10 hours. There were many elderly folks as well as families with children. He said it was gruelling as your feet moved sometimes only inches in hours. It took a full hour just to cross the Piazza to the church entrance and then they move you past the body very quickly. It looked like they were not allowing you to stop and pray.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

the story estimates there still a million people in line.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:09 PM

My parents are in Italy now and this is part of an e-mail my mother sent about what's going on in Rome.

"...The sorrow here was palpapable, especially among young people. St Peter's Square in Rome was filled with people from Friday on, many of whom slept in sleeping bags until news was received. Security was very tight without being obstrusive. Streets leading to St. Peter's were closed off to traffic, porta-potties were brought in, medical facilities were opened up (they looked like inflatible tents), instructions were given as to where sleeping facilities (like stadiums) were being set up for the amount of people expected. I must say the Romans understand crowd control and move into action right away, without anything seeming excessive."

I haven't gotten any further news from my mother but the next installment should be interesting.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

On the news last night they were showing "tent cities" that were being set up for pilgrims without hotels. Rows and rows of tents in a grassy area. Anyone know what part of town these tents are being set up?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Current tv news is showing the line closed for the American delegation. President and Laura Bush, Bill Clinton etc. are now in St. Peter's.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:24 PM

I wonder who these people are that are staying in the tent city. I wonder if they are Italians, or people from other parts of the globe. You wonder who would come to Rome to see the pope with no hotel reservations. Maybe these people are poor and used to hardship. I don't think there are too many Fodorites that would sleep in a tent city. This just goes to show you how devoted some people must be.

Willtravel, I would think the same thing about toilet facilities. Afterall, how many people could go hours and hours without using the toilet, epecially if they are drinking lots of water because of the heat.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:30 PM

I would think many of the people in the tent city are Polish. If it's true that two million Poles are expected to attend, and we know that many of them do not have lots of money and of course had little notice, it would seem natural. I'm sure the privation is a small matter to them, considering the significance of the occasion to them.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:31 PM

This whole thing has become a zoo. I agree w/ the previous note about doing good deeds. Senators and Congressmen want to go to Rome. Why? He's dead. It's like they're trying to get something from the poor man's death. They probably expect special treatment. If they get it, the poor pontiff will start rolling off his bier.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

I think the word for "those people" would be "pilgrims". They heard about the death and just got up and left for Rome. You're right, such incredible devotion.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Don't most dignitaries attend the funerals of "world leaders"? I don't think anyone is surprised by that. Special treatment for the President of the United States? Why would he expect that, it's also a given isn't it?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:52 PM
rex

<<Special treatment for the President of the United States? ... it's also a given isn't it?>>

If you re-read the statement...

<<Senators and Congressmen want to go to Rome. Why? He's dead. It's like they're trying to get something from the poor man's death. They probably expect special treatment.>>

I'm sorry... but this from a news story...

"Some of Congress' best known Catholics also will attend, although not as part of the official U.S. delegation. Among them are Sens. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., and Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi of California.

A Senate delegation of 14 will be led by Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn. A House delegation of about two dozen members also was going."

Thirty-eight members of the Senate and House? to the front of the line? It doesn't make any sense. Wny wouldn't every dogcatcher in Poland assert the same right?

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Virtually all of official Washington is either already there, or will be shortly. The Holy Father's funeral has now become an "event."
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:06 PM

The saddest thing is all those pilgrims who have been traveling for several days to get to Rome and see the pope only to arrive and be told that the line was closed and they can't see him.

From the news it looks like total chaos now with the uncontrollable masses of people there.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I agree, Patrick, hell hath no fury like a crowd turned away. Let's hope these pilgrims will not be in that tag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -