Las Vegas/Zion?Grand Canyon

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Las Vegas/Zion?Grand Canyon

Hi
Could you please assist with current driving times and suggestions. (2nd wk June). Will be in Vegas for 5 days will be renting car for side trip for a little hiking in Zion but would like to see Grand Canyon North Rim. Not sure this writing if will be two trips or one round trip. I know it's a long haul no matter what. Parking sugg for Grand/Zion appreciated and you best (few hours hike). I did the Zion Narrows about ten years ago but I understand Park driving has changed and have never been to the North Rim so don't what to expect there (parking/lunch.
All of your great rec/sugg would be appriciated.
DIVER
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM

Las Vegas to Zion is a pretty quick 3 hour drive (one way).

It's another 2 or 3 hours more (one way) to the N. Rim (depending on if you get stuck behind a slow RV on the curvey road into the park and in June your chances will be pretty good.)

I would really recommend spending the night in Springdale, Utah to be able to get some hiking in Zion.

I wouldn't try doing both in one day unless you just want to have a quick view of each.

Zion now has a free shuttle bus that takes you into the canyon. You can park in town and pick up a shuttle to the transfer station or park at the new visitor center (if there's a spot left). The shuttle bus runs the 6 miles into the Zion canyon. It makes several stops coming and going. Round trip usually takes about an hour if you don't get off the shuttle. (Sometimes we just like to ride the shuttle bus) They run about every 7 minutes so if you get off, it's not long before another one shows up. http://www.nps.gov/zion/naturescienc...on-shuttle.htm

Utahtea
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi UTHTEA

Thanks, good idea for Zion. It's been over 10 years since I was there, no shuttle's in the Park at that time. We'll do it.

What's your sugg. about Vegas to the South Rim for a one day trip?? and a sugg route. Have read it's about 250 one way. My lady hasn't seen the Grand Canyon and we might not do it again. What's the parking like there.

Thanks, DIVER
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:32 PM

We were at the S. Rim August 2003 and most of the time there was someplace to park. If you park in the park, just leave your car in one place and ride the free shuttles to the different overlooks. I've read that there is a new shuttle from the town of Tusayan that starts June 2, so you will be able to take advantage of that if you decided to park outside the park. http://www.nps.gov/grca/parknews/newspaper.htm You can down load the Grand Canyon Rim guides to learn all about the shuttles.

If you could possibly spend two nights on the road, I'd to a big loop. Starting at Las Vegas, I'd do the S. Rim first. Spend the night in the park or Tusayan. Next day drive to Zion stopping at the overlooks before you exit the park. Then take Hwy 89. This is a more scenic route than having to drive back and forth to Las Vegas via I-40 & Hwy 93. Spend the second night in Springdale.

Utahtea

Going to the S. Rim will take about as long as going to the N. Rim, but if this is the first and possibly the last time to see the Grand Canyon, I'd choose the S. Rim.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi Utahtea

Thanks, good sugg. If she like it we'll be back when it a little cooler. Weather is hot here is Orlando, sound like the same there.
I am open for any other sugg in the Vegas vicinity,(to get out of town during day) What's Boulder City like?
DIVER
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 10:48 PM

Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area http://www.americansouthwest.net/nev...anyon/nca.html is a scenic drive but it will probably be to hot to venture outside for a walk. Same with Valley of Fire State Park.

We've never been but I hear that Mount Charleston is a good place to get away from the heat.

Utahtea
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Hi Utahtea

Thanks for everything. I think Iam ready. Sat, here I come.
DIVER
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 11:57 PM

You are welcome, have a great trip!

Utahtea