Help with Las Vegas - Grand Canyon itinerary, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanting to take my parents (72 & 80 y.o.) to see Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon (between mid-Sept to mid-Oct)and beyond - thought I could work Zion & Bryce in, too. Can you review my itin. & offer suggestions? What other places should I consider? Am I trying to do too much? Of course, no hiking, just car/shuttle sightseeing...not too much walking or many stairs, but they can get around.

Day 1
Arrive Las Vegas. Spend night in Las Vegas.
Day 2 See Las Vegas. Stay night in Las Vegas.
Day 3 Depart for Hoover Dam. Tour dam.
That afternoon drive to Zion NP. Spend night in Zion.??
Day 4 Explore Zion in am. Drive to Bryce. Explore Bryce in afternoon/evening. Stay night in Bryce.
Day 5 Depart for Grand Canyon – do I want to go to North or South Rim? (about 8 hrs?) Stay night in Grand Canyon.
Day 6 Explore Grand Canyon. Spend night in Williams.
Day 7 Depart for Phoenix – see maybe Wupatki, Walnut Canyon, Sedona on the way. Spend night in ??, maybe Phoenix – is that too far to go?
Day 8: Fly home from Phoenix Airport.

I’m not real sure what to do after we leave the Grand Canyon, or where to stay.
Also, not sure how much time I need for Zion, as we will only be in the car.

Many thanks...and pardon any missteps, I'm new.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:32 PM

do a search on vegas/ grand canyon and you'll see quite a few other posts w/ helpful replies. My husband is taking his parents on a similar trip this weekend and I posted a question myself a while back. Have you already looked into lodging in the Canyon? They get booked up months in advance, unless you get lucky and someone cancels.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:40 PM

Something to keep in mind, it is still very hot here mid Sept. and can be even through mid Oct. So, with a 72 year old and 80 year old with you, you may be going a little slower because the heat may get to them and they will probably want to rest quite a bit. Plenty to do and see in Vegas. Hoover Dam is nice if you have never been before. There isn't a whole lot of walking on the Dam tour, so that is ok, but it is usually about 3-5 degrees hotter out there at the lake! Zion is very nice and well worth an entire day. If you just plan on staying in your car and driving through the park then I hihgly recommend visiting either Duck Creek Village or Panguitch Lake. Makes for a nice "cooler" time while visiting the hot SW, not to mention the area like Panguitch is very pretty.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback...Vegasnative, if I do Duck Creek or Panguitch, do you suggest that I stay in Zion or keep going on to Bryce for the night? Also, is my itin. too aggressive, as I don't want to make it too fast-paced...
Thanks!!
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Do either of your parents have heart or breathing problems. My FIL hasn't been able to go to high elevations for several years now. He's in his 80's and very active, but spending the night in Bryce would be out for him. Elevation is 8,000. Grand Canyon S. Rim is 7,000 and north rim is almost 9,000. Something you might want to consider before making reservations.

You are going to have such a short time in the Zion area, that I'd spend the night there or in Springdale instead of Duck Creek, besides Duck Creek Village elevation is 8,500 feet. You don't have to hike to enjoy this park. Ride the shuttle buses and just sit outside and enjoy the views at the lodge or shuttle bus stop.

Panguitch might be a good place to stay while visiting Bryce. Elevation is 6,700 verse Ruby's Inn at 7,600 elevation.

Even if elevation isn't a factor, I'd go to the S. Rim for several reasons. If this is the first visit to the Grand Canyon you get a better overall view of what it's really like at the S. Rim. More places for scenic overlooks and it will be a lot closer to Sedona for the next day. The drive to the N. Rim is slow and curvey and as mentioned a lot higher elevation.

Utahtea