Las Vegas: Car Rental questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our travel plans were forced to change (couldn't get a full 3 weeks off), so LV had to be cut from our forthcoming trip.

Our plan, though, is still to fly into McCarran, then pick up a rental car and drive off to Death Valley. I'd like to ask those knowledgeable about both Vegas and/or car rental issues a couple questions --

1. I understand there's a surcharge for rental car pickup right at the airport. I'd rather avoid the surcharge if I could. Can anyone suggest an alternate, surcharge-free pickup point near to the LV airport? Haven't picked a rental car company as yet, and that leads to question #2..

2. Is there a rental company that does *not* charge for an alternate driver in cases where the alternate is not one's spouse? I know many don't charge for spouses, but my Significant Other and I aren't married.

Thanks for any help.

Fritzrl
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 07:04 AM

I've gotten great rates on Vegas rental cars using Priceline.

www.priceline.com

In my experience, all rental agencies charge for all alternate drivers ... but it's up to you how many people actually "drive" the car.

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Have no idea about that airport, but I just checked car prices on Travelocity, and they were significantly higher picking up at 2 non-airport LV rental outlets than at the airport. It is a myth that all airports have airport rental car surcharge - some do, but in all our travels it is not something we regularly encounter. Also, you must factor in to the cost the sometimes inconvenient hours of off-airport rental offices plus cost of transportation to/from.

I also do not know of a company that does not charge for non-spouse additional drivers. I cuation against letting someone not on the rental agreement drive since if you were in an accident, I think there would be all sorts of issues if non-listee was driving.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Gekko:

Thanks for the priceline tip. Problem is that my pickup and dropoff points are different and priceline won't permit one to submit car rental bids on that scenario.

And, Gail, I completely agree: We'll have that car for over two weeks, and life has proven to me many times that the unexpected should always be expected. So, I'd like to make sure we're legally 'clear' as regards someone the rental company views as an unauthorized person behind the wheel, should the worst happen. I'll pay a reasonable fee if I have to, but I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Thanks again

Fritzl
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:39 AM

I found rental car prices at McCarran to be very cheap. We just rented an SUV for 16 days & the total was around $830 or so. The same car at PHX would have been $1630! Do you have the Entertainment Book by any chance? We used National Car Rental.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:47 AM
TheWeasel

Budget will allow your significant other (unmarried) to be an additional driver with no extra charge.

From their website:
"At corporate-owned locations, exemptions from the additional driver fee include:
• The renter’s spouse. To qualify for this exemption, at the time of rental, if the renter states that the additional driver (regardless of sex) is his or her spouse, mate, life companion, significant other, or domestic life partner, the additional driver will be treated as a spouse. "

Be sure you verify that you're renting from a corporate location in order to be eligible for this.

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 09:58 AM

If someone else is going to drive the car you really must tell the company. (And I don;t know any that don;t charge for non-spouses.)

If the non-driver has an accident they are not covered by insurance - any insurance (from the rental company or the credit card or your own car insurance) since they are an illegal driver. And any costs related to the accident would come right out of the pocket of the driver.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Did not realize different drop-off point. Be aware - if drop-off is in California, you must rent something called a "California car". That means it must comply with stricter CA emission regulations (so they can then rent it from CA drop-ff point).

Even though we told them several times when we made our reservation, they still had to scramble around the lot to find a "California car" for us. No real problem, it just caused a delay of 10 minutes or so. I have no idea what would have happened if we had shown up in San Diego with a Non-California car.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 10:46 AM

If you are a member and book through Costco website, they typically cover the second driver at no charge.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Loki: *really*!?!?! I am indeed a Costco-ite, but had no clue about this benefit. I'll check that out immediately, thanks.

The dropoff point is in Tucson, actually, so the CA car restriction shouldn't be an issue. Good to know about it for other occasions, though.

And, Weasel: thanks for the tip about Budget. I did check into Budget's rates, and they seem about 40-50% higher than rates at other companies for comparable sized cars. (This is a "budget"? Well, in the sense that it's a *high* budget, I spoze...)

Still, if the charge for a second driver boosts the rate up to par with Budget, I may work with Budget instead.

But first...checking out Costco.

Thanks to all for your kind replies.

Fritzrl
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Just one caveat. Make sure that your car-rental agreement allows you to travel outside the state of Nevada, particularly to California. I've heard of problems with Payless, for example, on that front. It's not common these days, but it's another thing to consider in addition to the extra driver charge.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Enterprise does not charge for partners, if you have the Emerald Club card.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thought I'd pop in to reply to my own question, perhaps to someone else's benefit.

The matter of extra charges for addn'l drivers seems to be mostly a Big Secret on most car rental websites. I decided to go with Alamo, and availed myself of the Gordian Knot solution: I contacted Alamo directly thru their website and asked about that charge.

They responded within 24 hours with a detailed reply. There are two variables, at least for Alamo: the length of the rental, and the pickup point for the car. For an extended rental, with a pickup in Las Vegas, there was no charge for a second driver.

So, I'd advise you also take the direct approach with a car rental company if you face the same question.

Fritzl
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:45 AM

fritzrl

I think Alamo's Gold Package will be best option for you. It covers every eventuality and I think up to 2 extra drivers can be used within its package. You will pay a drop off fee though if you take the car to a different state. We had to for picking up in San Fran. and dropping off in Vegas (we did Death Valley and yosemite on route - you are in for a treat).

I've used Alamo alot shop around and you can get good deals.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:40 PM

On the reservations page, if you click on "Additional driver?" with Alamo, it states that additional driver fees are collected at MOST LOCATIONS.

If I were you I would get something in writing, what they told you over the phone would hold no weight, especially with Alamo Schmalamo.

Avis and Budget have strip locations where you might be able to save 20% in airport fees. But if the base rates are higher than at the airport, it would balance out.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:44 PM

or rather....I would bring what you have in writing with you to the Alamo location. They once told me..."I know that your confirmation says that you are using a $20 off coupon. But because we are almost sold out, we are not accepting coupons. You have the option of renting elsewhere if you wish". Jerk.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 03:44 PM

"And I know breach of contract when I see it and I'll be giving Alamo YOUR name when I sue for treble damages under the consumer protection act. And since I'm an attorney, I sue FOR FREE and FOR FUN. Still not accepting my coupon, &#$&@?"
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 09:37 PM

this may sound like a stupid question, but what is everyone mean by drop off locations? going to vegas in december, never rented a car...isn't the rental place the pick-up and drop-off location? (i am not planning to rent from an agency at the airport...we already have a shuttle booked and paid for.
Also, does anyone have any suggestions of good, inexpensive strip restaurants (besides the buffets!) thanks
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:05 AM

kate - yes, the rental place is the drop off and pick up location - but drop off and pick up are not always the same place.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:01 AM

there are many car rental companies that allow extra drivers at no cost if you belong to their club.