Lake Placid Fireworks

Jun 4th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Lake Placid Fireworks

Does Lake Placid have fireworks?
Does anyone know if it will be on the 3rd or
4th this year?
Has anyone stayed at the Whiteface Lodge?
It is pricey, but looks awesome?
Can anyone compare it to the Mirror Lake Inn?
Traveling with 2 kid, 7 and 5 for three days. Any must dos?
Jun 4th, 2006, 11:21 AM

<Any must dos?>
What do you like to do? Help us here. You had to have some specific activities in mind when you decided to visit Lake Placid.
There are always fireworks on the 4th. Find a public beach on Mirror Lake, bring your blanket and food and wait for fireworks. You need to come earlier or you won't find a free spot. There was also a parade in the morning but check with a visitor center. Take a wonderful and entertaining cruise boat on Lake Placid, on the way to Whiteface stop at the High Falls, drive to the top of Whiteface, take gondola to the top of Little Whiteface, stop at Santa's Workshop in North Pole on the way to the top of Whiteface, go to Visitor Interpretive Center in Paul Smith, drive to Tupper Lake to visit a brand new museum, drive to Saranac Lake and to canoe on one of many spectacular lakes, come and visit with us, find not too long or difficult hike, go for an early swim in Mirror Lake, sat outside your lodge and freely inhale crispy fresh mountain air, go to the ski jump and watch young skiers compete in free style jumps to the pool with skis, take your kids for ice cream on Main street in Lake Placid, hire a baby sitter for one evening and go out for a very romantic dinner at the Interlaken in Lake Placid.
Whiteface Lodge has a gorgeous setting and is wonderful, Mirror Lake Inn is a great place but it is a hotel and doesn't have this mountain feeling that Whiteface Lodge delivers. Both accommodations are expensive but great. Mirror lake Inn is right in town, Whiteface is outside. Finding a parking in Lake Placid during a summer is a nightmare. If you stay in Mirror lake you can walk to all activities located in Lake Placid. You have to drive from Whiteface Lodge.
Jun 4th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info Pat.
Actually, Lake Placid is quite different from what we are used to so I really didn't have anything in mind when I started researching Lake Placid. We usually either do a amusement park vacation or a tropical beach vacation.
How does Lake Placid Lodge compare to
Whiteface Lodge and Mirror Lake Inn?
Know anything about The Sagamore?
Jun 4th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Lake Placid Lodge is only partially opened after the fire last December. The most beautiful part of this historic lodge has been destroyed. There is some construction (noise!!!!) going on and it will never be the same. The Sagamore is about 1 1/2 hour from Lake Placid right on Lake George. It gets good reviews here but I don't have a personal experience with it so I cannot compare to Mirror Lake Inn or Witeface Lodge. There is an amusement park in Lake George, Great Escape, I think.
If you decide to stay in Lake Placid run out of activities you can take a day trip to Canada. It is an easy under two hours drive. After you cross the border you will find yourself on route 15 and if you take the exit 6 for Hemmingford there is the Safari Park, which is a great place to take kids to. You can continue to Montreal from there or spend most of the day at the Safari Park. Kids will love it. So as you see wherever you decide to go there are plenty of things to do. Before you decide where you want to stay I suggest checking availability first. It is a very busy season for every place in the Adirondacks and many accommodations may be fully booked already. Good luck
Jun 4th, 2006, 03:23 PM

YouGoGirl, it is Parc Safari in Hemmingford, Quebec not Safari Park
www.parcsafari.com
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:54 AM
nkd

for YouGoGirl
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Sorry to say you will not get reservations at either Mirror Lake Inn or Sagamore for July 4th this late.

If you want to go to the Adirondacks on that busy weekend you'll have to find someplace more remote (and even that will probably be booked). My guess would be that all of Lake Placid is already booked.

I'm a little worried that if you usually do amusement parks or tropical resorts the Adirondacks might be a little to rustic for you. It is my favorite place in the world, but you should probably like hiking, boating (preferably kayaking!), and true small town charm to really enjoy it to its max.

Other possibilities - but not in or near Lake Placid and so even quieter - would be Friend's Lake Inn, Irondequoit Inn, Copperfield Inn, Hedges. I don't know...they're probably booked too though.
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Believe it or not, I can still get a
reservation at Sagamore, Mirror Lake Inn and Whiteface Lodge.
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Well then, Go for it!
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:11 PM

PS You're welcome!
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:12 PM

I've actually stayed at the Sagamore years ago and loved it. It sits on the lake and the view is just gorgeous. You can rent motor boats or go swimming. There are rooms in the main building or rooms in their "cabins" that surround the property. Both are very nice. I believe they also serve tea in the afternoon. The huge veranda that overlooks the lake is a perfect place to sit and watch the activities on the lake or to just sit and read a good book. I love this place and im sure you will see why.
Jun 29th, 2006, 06:36 PM

We are staying at a rental home in town. We are hoping it is what they say, comfortable, clean, convenient and affordable. www.lakeplacidhouse.com
Jun 30th, 2006, 12:34 PM

ttt for SZ