Camping holiday New York to Virgina

Jun 29th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Camping holiday New York to Virgina

I am thinking of a trip with family, wife and two pre teen sons. Travelling from New York south, ending up at Smith Mountain lake. Probably happy to be travelling for two weeks.

What I seek is some suggested stops south of Baltimore. Since I really don't know this area very well and also looking for some useful tips on places to visit while on the way.

Since kids are active, four hour drive stretches would suite & since I am a fecerish angler some good bass or trout streams would be a pleasant respite from the steering wheel. Also not that wild about "disney" type experiences, but would make the effort for a day for the boys if it's worth it.

Thanks in advance
Jun 29th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Meant to add. Will have op-up and should like to travel last two weeks of August.
Jun 30th, 2006, 06:19 AM

detour to Front Royal, VA and hike along Skyline Drive.

Continue through Front Royal on route 340 south to Bentonville. Camp over at Andy Guess state park. Do an 8-12 or 16 mile canoe trip on the south fork of the Shenandoah River. The are three or four canoe outfitters in Bentonville who rent canoes and will take you upriver to the put in of your choice.

Do an overnighter on the river, 24 miles, starting in Luray and ending in Bentonville. Camp on National Forest land at mile point 11 or 12. Very good smallmouth bass fishing.
Jun 30th, 2006, 06:24 AM

I forgot to mention a hot air balloon
trip out of Woodstck over the Shenandoah Valley.
Jun 30th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Hey thanks for that, I will research the canoeing,how severe is the river?My youngest is six,Ok, swimmer....

I have ballooned in Africa, fun, but not for this trip.
Anybody have ideas on diversions down into the Carolinas/Maryland?
Jun 30th, 2006, 11:30 AM

It's a mild river and many people tube it. There is one class 2 or 3 rapid known as Compton Rapids. Stay to the right and there is no problem. I've seen people come down it sideways and backwards and not flip. If one does flip, they go with the flow and end up in calm water at the bottom. There is another class 2 known as The Ledge which you shoot over on the extreme left.

Years ago DW and I canoed there for the first time and had such a good time that we bought a canoe the same week. After that we were on the river just about every Sunday for many years. The scenery from the river is unbelieveable as at times you are surrounded by mountains.
Jun 30th, 2006, 12:10 PM

I'll just add my vote to ronkala's suggestion. The Shenandoah is gorgeous--the smallmouth fishing this year's been excellent and now that we've finally has some rain, should be at a great level.

Below the Ledge is usu. a nice deep place to swim so you might want to pull off for lunch on shore near there.
Jun 30th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Oh, and are you planning on using Skyline Drive or The Blue Ridge PArkway for any of your driving?

There are lots of great hikes off both. Favorite hikes with kids include:
1. Crabtree falls (a little off the parkway--easy maintained path with railing and close to great campgrounds)
2. Humpback Rocks-first real hike off the Parkway takes you o a gorgeous overlook.

Excursion wise you could consider (and these are non-outdoorsy suggestions since those types of things aer usu. easy to figure out along the way):
Pick-your-Own. There are lots of places you could go to pick berries or peaches (or apples depending on time of year). Crozet, VA has Chiles Orchard, There's Orchardside Berry Farm in Raphine (also close to a restored Mill and a Winery), Carter Mtn. Orchard in Charlottesville, etc., etc. How you plan your drive determines which of these is most convenient.

Charlottesville, VA (a bit out of the way) if the kids can tolerate some history/learning you could see Monticello, UVA, and Ash Lawn.

You could stop for an evening in Staunton, VA. It has a Frontier Culture Museum that has working farms to show frontier life, as well as Woodrow Wilson's Birthplace. There are downtown shops, one of which has a glassblowing demo. They've newly refurbished the Stonewall Jackson Hotel. Local downtown has some cute restaurants and they have the Blackfriar's Playhouse--a Shakespeare theater. May not be great for kids but you and wife might enjoy a night out.

Fredericksburg, VA has lots of Civil War history if anyone's interested in that.

Jun 30th, 2006, 12:39 PM

And if you drive down I-81 you'll go past Natural bridge. It's what it sounds like. It's toursity. People still like to see it once.

Ok, that's all from me until July 5th. Have a nice Independence Day!