Search

Lahaina or Hanalei

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lahaina or Hanalei

1st timers wondering which place would be the best. We want a very walkable town area that is laid back. We LOVE to shop and would like a place with alot of shops that you can get to on foot. Not american mall like places. More crafty shops, or outdoor markets.
Please suggest other places if you know a good place.
We are budget travelers and like more bohemian places.
We would be going in April.
We may rent a car but want to stay right in a town.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM

Lahaina is far more shopable and super food. Hanalei is far less touristy and far fewer shops. Hanalei is smaller. Hanalei is in a beautiful area. Lahaina not so much but it does have ocean views. There are no resorts in Hanalei but six miles away is Princeville. If you like bohemian, I'd go Hanalei, it's real Hawaii.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Hanalei for me and you will need a car on either Kauai or Maui as public transport sucks.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 07:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Lahaina is a very walkable town, it's a fairly good size with tons of restaurants, galleries, shops, theaters, etc. It's a bit honkey-tonk in feel. It used to the capitol of the islands when there was the monarchy and an old whaling town. Finding a 'budget' and 'bohemian' place to stay is going to be a trick. There are some B&B's but not really much in the way of cheap hotels. Actually the town there reminded me a little bit in atmosphere & energy of downtown Puerto Vallarta.

Don't know the other town so can't compare.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

thanks all for replies.

i dont know if Hawaii will be too civilized and modern.
we love the Mexican sort of atmosphere.

Zihuatanejo is also an option for us. We have Alaska air voucher ($556) we want to use in April for our anniv.

After we are in PV in Dec. maybe that will help decide if we want more Mexico or are willing to try something else.

A friend was in Waikiki and said it was so beautiful.
More scenic than PV.

Isnt it fun to have this dilemma?
Hawaii or Mexico.
Life is good.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 09:59 AM

Well, fewer drug wars in Hawaii.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 02:16 PM

"i dont know if Hawaii will be too civilized and modern.
we love the Mexican sort of atmosphere."

Then, stick to Mexico or, better yet, consider Costa Rica. Shopping is much more interesting in Mexico or Costa Rica than Hawaii.

A friend once told us that Lahaina was a sewer after visiting it in the 70's. Well, it's been cleaned up quite a bit but, to steal from Peter Ustinov, it's still very much like a carbuncle on the backside of Maui. We love Maui but always try to avoid Lahaina if at all possible.

Hanalei, on the other hand, is a wonderful place but not, imo, for shopping. It's a place to get away from it all. Very quiet and very beautiful.

You might prefer Zihuatanejo. It's a beautiful town on a beautiful bay but, in season, it's overrun with cruise ship passengers. It's better in off-season.

Costa Rica is great because it's not overdeveloped like the beach towns of Mexico or places like Waikiki in Hawaii. It also has a great variety of natural environments and some extraordinary wildlife. Also, it seems like much of the crafts that are sold here are produced locally rather than imported.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 07:41 PM

Kauai is less about shopping and more about being. Head to the North Shore and stay at the only condos on the beach. Hanalei Colony Resort. Half of the fun of Kauai for us is the driving and scenery. Park your happy selves on the north beaches and drive into Hanalei or south for a day. You will be so happy that you did. Hanalei has art, jewelry, neat stuff to see and then you can shop your way south to the airport on the last day. Either way it is paradise.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 05:28 AM

Lahaina should work well for you. You will find everything from hi end crafts to Tshirts. Several nic eplaces to stay at in town, more just outside.

To be in walking distance, a nice place is Outrigger Aina Nalu
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 07:12 AM

You can't really generalize like that about all of "Hawaii" because it is so very diverse, on each island, and in different parts of each island. Some places are modern, some places untouched, most somewhere in between. Just depends where you base yourself. If you are looking for less 'civilization' I would be looking at Kauai instead of Maui.

I personally think Waikiki is very beautiful. but some people say it's "just a city with a beach".

I vacation in both Mexico (21x) and Hawaii (5x) regularly and will continue to return to both. I love them each for different reasons. Hawaii smells really good, you don't have to worry about getting sick, drinking the water, changing money, or language. In Mexico you can drink cocktails on the beach (which isn't the way in Hawaii) and the local people are more outgoing and welcoming.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.
Seems to be a bit of differences of opinion. which makes Fodors so valuable.Seeing many sides really helps to make up peoples minds.

Mexico is going to win this battle. The warm of the people is drawing us back. Hawaii will have to wait for another time. When we do go, Kauai seems to be our style.

Now, PVR for the 4th time or ZIH for the first time. ???
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 09:25 AM

why not give Zijuatenejo a try? i hear it's a great place. it's smaller so more laid back than PV (which has gotten to be a pretty substantial city these days).
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM

Have been to Lahaina, haven't been to Hanele. Lahaina's a nice town with plenty of shops and restaurants, but if you want to be on the beach, there really isn't a good option there. Kaanapali is only a few miles, and Kihei and Wailea aren't too far. You could stay there and go into Lahaina at night.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

suze, ZIH is looking like a better option for us now.
DH has poo-poo'd Hawaii now. He thought long and hard and came to the conclusion that he loves Mexico and its people and wants us to see more of it. I have been to Cancun years ago and to most Mexico's border towns. I think ZIH might just be perfect for us. Sorry Hawaii..

58 days till PVR !!!!
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 08:50 AM

I also *thought* I didn't like Hawaii (because I loved Mexico so much) and that it was too commercial, like Disneyland, blah blah blah. That is until I actually WENT for the first time -lol!! I have never been more wrong about anything in my life.