Los Cabos?

Old Apr 27th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Cabos?

Looking for a nice place to spend a 3-day honeymoon in Mexico. Cabo was attractive because of proximity, meaning we wouldn't spend an entire day traveling, however, all I hear over the net are complaints about timeshare solicitors, how expensive it is, and bad service! Can someone please tell me something good? Or can you recommend another location? We are traveling from Los Angeles, and are interested in watersports, kayaking, snorkeling, parasailing etc.

thank you

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

should we consider Hawaii instead? the time change would help us not to lose time!
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

what do people not go to cabo?
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 09:46 AM

Since no one else is helping, I'll take a run at your question...

For your honeymoon (3 days and flying from Los Angeles) I would suggest Puerto Vallarta (Alaska Air flies direct) for Mexico, or Maui in Hawaii (Hawaiian air flies direct).

Why people do not like Cabo is because it is not really a Mexican town. It is a built up tip of the peninsula made to make money off American tourism. It is much more expensive and not as nice as other west coast Mexico destinations (such as Mazatlan, PV, Zijuat/Ixtapa, Acapulco) and the Baja is a desert big time. Besides your own resort there is not much to do (i.e., see anything of Mexican culture or local interest). There is shopping, sports fishing, nightclubs.

*I have never been there* for the above reasons, so can't vouch for these other claims, but it also has a reputation for having a lot of timeshare shark salespeople, sleezy factor, dirty, rip offs as far as hotels, restaurants, taxis.

Puerto Vallarta would only be a bit longer of a plane ride and is a gorgeous, lively, authentic Mexican town, jungles and mountains, with tourist ammenities of every sort. The time change is 2 hrs.

Hawaii is clean, lush, beautiful, and the U.S. (no worries about money exchange, drinking the water, etc.) But a longer plane ride from LA than Puerto Vallarta would be.

Hope that helps some, or gets other Cabo experts to chime in.

Congratulations, by the way!!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:03 PM
eb

We will be making our 4th trip to Cabo the end of May and we really love it. There are plenty of water sports, the 4-wheelers to the sand dunes are fun, great restaurants, easy transportation, etc. I would suggest you stay at the Melia San Lucas or a hotel nearby since you'll only be there a short time, and would be within walking distance of the town. Restaurants we like are Mocambos and Panchos. Have also heard good things about Edith's, Mi Casa, and Romeo'y Juliette. The Office is a fun restaurant also and is on the beach. Just say no thank you to the timeshare folks and they'll leave you alone. Congratulations and hope you have a great time! eb from Texas
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouragement folks, can anyone compare Cabo with PV? They seem to be our two finalists. Note: Both travelers are fluent in Spanish (Mexican-Americans) however, not familiar with either of the areas.

Thanks for your help.
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:11 AM

I can't make a true comparison because I've only been to Puerto Vallarta (15 times!).

PV is on the Bay of Banderas, very lush, with jungles and mountains surrounding the area. The town itself is very charming and 'authentic'. The 'Old Town' area has cobblestone streets, red tile roofs, black wrought iron, white stucco buildings, lots of bouganvilla blooming. There are literally hundreds of restaurants of all types and price ranges. The local people are incredibly friendly and welcoming. The town is clean and well-maintained. It is a normal busy Mexican town first, and a tourist destination second.

You can stay in the high-end resorts more isolated out in Nuevo Vallarta (about 30-45 mins. outside town), or choose from hotels in The Marina, Hotel Zone, downtown, or along beaches heading out of town to the south.

Many people especially in the hotel and tourist restaurants speak English, but your being fluent in Spanish will only make it better and even more enjoyable!
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:40 AM
eb

We haven't been to PV in several years so my opinion may be outdated...but I prefer Cabo.
Our 25 year-old daughter and her boyfriend went to PV about 2 years ago. She was very disappointed after having gone to Cabo previously. And, when her boyfriend joined us in Cabo last May, he said there was no comparison between the two - he preferred Cabo also. I think the beaches are the main reason - very pretty. Also, Cabo is very clean. From what I remember, that wasn't the case with PV. Whichever you choose, though, I know you'll have a great time! eb from Texas
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:34 PM

It's true, if really nice beaches are highest priority, then Cabo wins.

pv lover
Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Can some of the insiders help point us to reputable businesses as far as setting up excursions, snorkeling, and things of that nature?

Thanks a million.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Finally is exchanging money to pesos essential?
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:21 PM

I like Mazatlan.Its a lot more low key.Nice beach.The ElCid is huge but not overwhelming.Short flight good flight times.
Old May 4th, 2003, 08:08 PM

My wife and I have been to Cabo a couple of times now and enjoy the time there. However, we have a time share, Cascadas, which is very, very nice so we're sort of spoiled. In any case, the beaches at Cabo are really, really nice. Clean, white sand and warm waters if you are looking for that. Of course, being in the Sea of Cortez, there is no surf but it's a perfect place for water sports. The biggest problem are the beach vendors. They are everywhere, but I imagine that is a prevelant aspect of all Mexican vacations. The town of Cabos is sort of lame, obviously set up for tourism and there really is no history within walking distance, but if you're only going for a few days I would think you would enjoy Cabo.

Kevin
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:57 PM
eb

bruin31, for the 4 wheelers, I'd suggest you use Baja's (they're located behing the Plaza Las Glorias). Last year we used someone else and they took us out to a building site/desert area and we had to drive over some horribly bumpy areas before we got to the lighthouse/sand dunes. Baja will guide you thru the streets of town (very neat experience) and then on out to the road to go to the dunes.