Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

First Mexico Vacation- need some advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to take my first trip to Mexico. It's a 3 day trip over Valentine's day and my fiance and I are looking for a secluded, romantic bungalow type B&B that is right on the beach and hopefully close enough to walk to the market. We won't be doing a lot since we're going to just relax, but we will probably want to go out on a boat tour of some sort and maybe rent a jet ski. And we LOVE to eat (much to the dismay of my swimsuit figure) so we'll want to find some good resturaunts.

I'm not totally sure where in Mexico we should go... We found a GREAT deal on flights to Cabo (only $230 with taxes from L.A.) We are trying to spend as little as possible while still getting what we want and hoping to keep it under $1000 or so. Cabo doesn't look quite as tropical as I was hoping for. I love the look of Zihuatanejo but flights are almost twice as much.

Any ideas for me? Help a girl out!

oh- and I did find this B&B in Cabo if anyone knows anything about it.... http://www.terracotta-mex.com/
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:25 AM

Cabo is more just a seaside resort with no real nature around it.
If you liked Zihuatenejo, you will also like Puerto vallarta.
Espcially around Old Town there is a nice mexican atmosphere.
Around P. vallarta there is more to see and do than in Cabo.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Trust me in February Cabo can be down right Cold. Also it's a bit like going to San Diego very Americanized with lots of US fast foods & US type clubs. Zihuatanejo is truly a Paradise that is still very Mexican. Go to www.Zihuatanejo.net for lots of info. I know that AA airlines has some really good prices. Keep in mine the Zihua is almost three times as far (south) than Cabo & much warmer.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 04:18 PM

Cabo is definitely not tropical (think Palm Springs by the beach). Plus, imho, it just doesn't "feel" like Mexico...and avoid Cabo San Lucas unless you're a big fan of Tijuana!
Puerto Vallarta is only an hour longer from LA than Cabo by air, and though the flight may be more, eating out may be less expensive. And PV's known for great restaurants!
Check out Casa Obelisco or Casa Isabel to start
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Personally, I would not want Cabo to be my first impression of Mexico. It truly is a desert that is irrigated to create green for resorts and golf courses. I think that the topography of Pacific Coast is beautiful while you can't beat the beaches on the Carribean side. I would choose Zihuatanejo or PV or head south of Cancun.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Baja is a desert peninsula (not tropical at all!) and Cabo is a tourist resort at the tip of it. I don't think what you describe (secluded romantic bungalow on the beach walking to the market) is even something you'd find there.

Maybe over in San Jose del Cabo or up at Todos Santos possibly?

Better yet go to Puerto Vallarta, while the plane fare might be a bit more, it is way cheaper than Cabo once you get there. Or on down to Zijuat as you mention.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
actually that B&B looks kinda cute(!) but realize that it is quite a ways from town - 20 mins drive from Cabo and 5 mins from San Jose they say, i'm wondering if you'd need a rental car to get around?