Search

Mexico - Pacific Coast

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico - Pacific Coast

We normally go down to the PDC/Mayan Riviera area, but have been considering going somewhere on the west coast. We were considering Cabo, but have been wondering about the numerous areas south. We like snorkeling, relaxing, good food, nothing overwhelming like Cancun, but enough where we can go out at night and enjoy walking around, shopping, etc.

We're traveling from the mid-atlantic and cost really isn't a factor.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Puerto Vallarta
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Puerto Vallarta isn't a bad suggestion, IMHO, but that "nothing overwhelming" caveat bothers me wrt. Vallarta.

PVR is a pretty big, pretty crowded area.

PVR is cool --- I love walking the Malecon in the evening, or exploring the great variety of restaurants in the old town...and the shopping can't be beat among all the Pac. Coast towns. But it IS pretty big and crowded...

Ixtapa/Zihua might suit you, as might Huatulco or Manzanillo. All of these are a quite a bit lower key, although of course that also means FEWER options for dining, shopping, and nightlife...

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM

If you think Cancun is overwhelming, and by this I take it you mean commericialized, try Cabo San Lucas! It is downright ugly. San Jose del Cabo is nicer, with some Mexican charm, however, and there are some gorgeous resorts along the corridor.
It's hard to find swimmable ocean in the area. I live in SoCal, so flights down to Cabo are quick and economical. I'm not sure if I think the area is worth a long flight from the Atlantic. If I were looking for something new, I'd go to an island in the Carribbean, or perhaps Puerto Vallarta.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 03:45 PM

The Costalegre between Manzanillo and PV is less developed and interesting.
www.costalegre.ca
www.tomzap.com
We stayed at CocoCabanas on Isla de Navidad X the inlet from Barra de Navidad at Christmas.
The coast gets hot and humid in late Spring, Summer and early Fall and many places close and residents leave.
M (SMdA, Gto., MX)
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:14 PM

I don't know about snorkeling, but we love PV. Can't really recommend Cabo as we find it lacks any charm. You might want to look into La Paz. But I agree that if I were on the East coast, I'd be heading down to the caribbean.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick responses. We've done the Carribean side several times (Cancun only a couple) and then down on the Mayan Riviera/Playa del Carmen area. We were looking for something new in Mexico and have been considering Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Ixatapa, Alcapulco (sp?). We've either visited most of the Carribean Islands and Hawaii or we have trips already in the works. We're trying to decide if there is someplace else we ought to see before we start going back to our favorites.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:57 AM

Puerto Vallarta

LOL- i know i already had my vote but it comes the closest in my opinion to meeting most of your list.

i like La Paz very much also, but it doesn't have the shopping, restaurants, or tourist infrastructure (in a good way) that PV does.

to take some of the congestion factor out of PV, simply pick a place to stay a little bit outside of town and NOT in Nuevo (the Cancun-ish resort development north of town).

i have not been to Cabo, nor do I plan to go. i believe it is not "overwhelming" like Cancun but it is totally created as a tourist environment.

one thing i love about Puerto Vallarta is that it is still a "normal" Mexican working city alongside the tourist development and ammenities.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:14 AM

there's also Costa Rica to consider, yes? Or Belize?
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Believe me, Suze, the town of Cabo San Lucas is much more "overwhelming" than Cancun and not in a good way.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 03:31 PM

I'm going to second the Zihuatanejo suggestion. I've never been there but Villa Del Sol and La Casa Que Canta were on my honeymoon list of possibilities. They look great...and the area sounds enjoyable. Good luck!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:36 PM

Yes, Zihua is a wonderful alternative. Much smaller and more manageable than PVR, and even more "authentically Mexican", if that's what you're after. And if it's NOT what you're after, you can always do a 2-minute taxi ride to next-door-neighbor Ixtapa, with its wide arc of a beach and a dozen big modern high rise properties and a similar (but small scale) feel as the gringo-ized Cancun.

Mikemo's advice on Costa Alegre is good...there's some nice, quite upscale properties out that way.

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:33 PM

My wife and I just got back from a 3 month trip to Mexico. We have done PV, Mazatlan, Cancun, Z-town, and Cabo San Lucas. Our favorites is about 70 miles north of Cabo on the Sea of Cortez. La Paz. It is still refreshingly Mexican, the weather is great, there are several offshore islands for SCUBA and snorkeling and pangas will take you there, and the prices are not resort like.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:34 PM

Barlovento....can you tell me a bit more about the snorkeling near La Paz? Are there many different types of fish and marine life? Is there any coral? I'm constantly looking for good places to snorkel. I'm from Arizona, so La Paz will be easy to get to.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 08:03 PM

I will add my two cents and agree with TioGringo.

I like Zihautanejo and Ixtapa... much smaller and you sort of get the best of both worlds

If you decide to stay in Zihuatanejo then you can bus over ( 20 minutes ) to Ixtapa or vice versa.

But Hey!! I have nothing against Puerto Vallarta.

If you stay at one of the resorts in Ixtapa, then you just cross the street and all the shops are there to browse through.

Percy
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 06:35 AM

thanks Frankie. I don't have a good impression of either, which may be silly since I have never been (Cancun or Cabo) I just picture that line up of ocean front resorts at Cancun you always see in photos and didn't realize Cabo was as large as that. the only person I know who likes Cabo goes there for the deep sea fishing.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:40 AM

no you're right Suze. I should've been clearer -- Cancun is much larger (but beautiful); I just found Cabo "overwhelmingly" ugly.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 10:42 AM

good one Frankie
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Hello,
Has anyone been to Mazatlan in mid to late June? Is it unbearably hot?
My main goal is to see some surf! Is the surf bigger in the Winter or can I expect any in June? I'd like to learn how to surf and I know the waves aren't huge there but does anyone know how big the waves typically are? Thanks!!!
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Try heading further south than PDC--we just got back from six days in Tulum. Very nice beach, nice pueblo in Tulum. Take the all day boat tour of Sian Ka'an. Lots of eco-resorts on Tulum beach.