Search

Lahaina

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lahaina

I've read comments to avoid Lahaina when a cruise ship is in. How bad is it really? There is a ship in on the day we were planning on exploring Lahaina.

Places that we'd like to visit in Lahaina include the Jodo Mission, Wo Hing Temple and of course the Banyan Tree. Anything else other than shopping and eating that is interesting to do while there?
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 11:38 AM

We just returned from Maui and were in Lahaina when a cruise ship was anchored offshore. There were quite a few more people on Front Street I would imagine because of it and it was quite noticeable when they departed at 5pm. Lahaina gets packed for a variety of reasons, cruise ships being just one of them.

In my recent trip report I said to keep driving if you see a ship offshore. It was partially meant tongue in cheek and not be to taken totally seriously. I wouldn't let it keep you away, especially if your visit was planned for a certain day. Part of Lahaina's charm are its people watching opportunities and the extra visitors provided by the cruise ship added to that. Lahaina is definitely worth the visit.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 11:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I really like the town of Lahaina! It's a place that's meant to be busy with tourists. I wouldn't worry about that. My favorite thing besides all the galleries, shops, bars, and restaurants was doing the self-guided historic walking tour thru the central area. I also really enjoyed two shows... both U'lalena and Old Lahaina Luau but since you're in on a cruise likely those won't work for your timing.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 12:21 PM

No worries

Even at its busiest, Lahaina is pleasant. At worst, there is one ship in Lahaina and maybe another or so in Kahalui and there is a 5 minute wait for a shaved ice. Happy hours in Whalers Village are worse.

With all the growth in tourism over the 40 yrs Ive gone there, its really special how well Lahaina has kept a special feel
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Oh that is good to hear! Thanks so much.

About how much time should be plan on spending there? A few hours, or more like most of the day?
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM

My wife could shop there all day, with the sights easily done in half a day. If you are there in whale season(Dec-March) do a whale watch from the harbor next to the Banyan Tree. If not during whale season, drive to a bay where you can snorkel or take in the beauty.

Kapalua and Honolua Bay are spectacular
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Unfortunately we will miss the whales. We'll be there in late May, staying for 10 nights. We'll definitely get some snorkeling done during that time.