Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

In Maui from 1pm to 10pm...what should we do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I'm new to the message boards and SO glad I found them. There's so much great info out on them. Anyway, my fiance and I will be spending our honeymoon in Hawaii...we're spending one night in Honolulu, cruising with NCL's Star for 7 days and then spending 7 nights in Kauai. I'm trying to plan in advance what we'll do in all of the ports for our cruise, as I know that the cruise lines mark up their prices on the shore excursions. We're only going to be in Maui for 9 hours...in the evening. What would all of you Maui experts recommend that we do? Where is the best place to see the sunset? I've read the threads on The Road to Hana and it doesn't seem that we'd have enough time to do that effectively. Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:14 AM

After spening a few days aboard ship, you might want to consider driving up Mount Haleakala to see the island from the top of this ancient volcano. It would be an expensive side trip with the cost of a rental car and the National Park admission fee, but it would certainly give you a view from on top of the world. You'll be able to stay long enough to watch the sunset if you're honeymooning during the winter months when the sun goes down before 7:00 p.m. Otherwise, you'll be too tight on time. Be aware that the mountain creates its own weather and that cloud cover could spoil your sunset. You'll be driving on mountain roads with lots of switchback turns as well as the breathtaking views, so keep an eye on the time as well as weather conditions so you don't miss the boat!

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 09:47 AM

I've tried to post this a bunch of times but I'll try again. Boy I hope the other ones don't show up eventually. That's be bad.

In Laws just went on the 10 day version of this cruise. 3 of your 7 days are cruising to Fanning Island and back. They were disappointed with the Fanning Island portion of this. We did try to talk them out of the cruise but they were determined.

You might want to try snorkeling at Black Rock near the Sheraton on Kaanapali. The Sheraton has public parking for this. Pathway to the beach is located on the south side of the hotel. Another good spot is at Ulua Beach which is a public beach in Wailea right next to the Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort. Then for dinner try the Feast of Lele which is served ocean front at private tables. No buffet. Includes entertainment. Boss just went there and said it was fabulous.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suzie...the itinerary for the 7-day cruise may be changing before we go...the cruise lines no longer need to make an international port. My fiance has never been on a cruise ship...I think he'll enjoy the serenity at sea. I worked on a cruise ship for 4 months during the summer of 1997, so I'm pretty familiar with the routine. I do thank you for your advice about what to do in Maui, though!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 10:01 AM

Wow that would be great if they ended that international port requirement. On the 10 day cruise my in-laws spent 5 days going to Fanning Island and back! The water was too rough to even go to Maui for them so it was another day on the ship.

The secretary at my kid's school took the cruise too around Thanksgiving and had a great time but wouldn't do it again. Hope you have fun!

For your stop in Kauai make sure you get the Ultimate Guide to Kauai. Great book, easy to read has lots of ideas to make a great trip. We went 2 years ago and the book made a huge difference in our trip, but then so did the people who post on this site. So helpful!!!!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 11:35 AM
SEW

For the time you have, the drive to Haleakalea is a good idea, as it's a wonderful view of the world. It may be cloudy, but it's still a nice experience.

On the way back, stop at HaileMaile General store for dinner. It away from the hustle bustle of other resort areas.

Another dinner location would be Mama's Fish House if you are fish lovers (I am not, but enjoyed my meal there). Both are not far from Kahalui.

Have a good cruise
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you've spent time in Kauai the road to Hana would be more of the same, Maui visitors go there for the jungle scenery.
The trip up Haleakala sounds like a good idea but the car rental ( pickup, return etc.) might not beat the cruise tour for price or convienence.
Maui snorkeling is great in the mornings but the afternoon tradewinds impact visibility.
Maybe just nine hours of exploring the island by car, check out the beaches , little towns, resorts,lava fields etc.