LaGuardia into Manhattan by bus?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not being made of money, my wife and I want to know if there is an airport bus we can take from LaGuardia Airport into a midtown bus terminal on 30th Street in Manhattan. We're thinking of staying at the Holiday Inn on 29th St., and there appears to be a bus terminal on 30th near 7th. Otherwise, what would you suggest? Many thanks.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 06:53 PM

These two URL's

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-p...portation.html
http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-t...n-service.html

give all the info you will need for using a bus or van to get from LaGuardia to Manhattan. It is do-able by MTA bus to MTA subway, but NOT recommended if you are carrying even two pieces of luggage.

The second URL gives links to companies AUTHORIZED to take passengers from LGA to other destinations. NONE of them are allowed to solicit customers in the airport itself, ALL of them get customers ONLY from the official ground transport booth. Take an offer from someone who solicits your business, and you'll find out the origin of the term, "getting taken for a ride."
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 07:40 PM

There is no bus terminal at 30th St and 7th Ave. Penn Station, a train station, is at 7th Ave at 32nd St. Some of the inexpensive long-distance bus companies like Megabus and Bolt Bus pick up their passengers on the street--no bus station.

Similarly, the airport bus stops on the street near Penn Station. The fare is $12 per person and the bus makes a few stops before it reaches Penn Station. For not that much more money, you can get door-to-door service by taxi. The taxi fare from LGA to your location would be $25-$30 plus toll and tip.

http://www.nyairportservice.com
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 07:50 PM

You shd take a taxi.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 05:13 AM

I often take a bus into Manhattan from LaGuardia, and there's no problem in doing it. Don't listen to the naysayers.

If you take the New York Airport Service bus, you'll be let off near Penn Station, which is within 4 blocks of your hotel. If you have only one wheeled suitcase, you'll be able to do that walk in 10 minutes or less, but it's very crowded around the station during the day (VERY crowded), so be prepared for that. I think the cost is $12 or $13 now. You pay an attendant before getting on the bus, which stops outside every terminal at LGA. The trip takes between 30 and 45 minutes depending on traffic.

You can take an MTA bus (the M60) to 125th Street (at least 45 to 55 minutes) and then the subway down to Penn Station, but that requires negotiating steps and may not be advisable if you have a heavier suitcase.

There are other services. For example, SuperShuttle will take you directly to your hotel in a shared van for not much more than New York Airport Service, but I don't recommend that service in NYC although it's perfectly fine in many other cities. The ride can take well over an hour and costs more than New York Airport Service.

GO Airlink is similar to Super Shuttle, but I've never used it. Grayline also operates and shared-van service; again, I've never used it.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 09:38 AM

>>

That's for one person. So $24-26 for two people. A taxi will cost you about $30, maybe $35. Only you can decide if the hassle is worth ten bucks.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 05:29 PM

There's a special on the website 2 ppl for $19, 3 ppl for $25. So it should be $38 round trip if booked online.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 06:13 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Take a taxi
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:02 AM

For buses, the Q33 and Q72 will bring you to the subway, but for an additional $25 a taxi would be more convenient, your choice.

www.walktomycruiseship.com/manhattan.htm
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:50 AM

The cost of a taxi will be almost the same as that of an airportbus - which is aobut $15 per person.

You can do i morecheaply - but that involved city bus and/or subway, will take abuot 1.5 hours and hauling luggage upa nd down several sets of stairs.
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:44 AM

The combo of MTA bus and subway costs $2.25 each. You'd be hard-pressed to argue that this isn't a much more viable price for a budget traveler than either New York Airport Service or a taxi. If people are really wanting to save money getting to and from LGA, then the subway/bus combo is worth it. For that savings, I can haul my small bag up and down stairs. I do it all the time if I have time.
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:00 AM

I'm with Doug on this. For years I took a taxi, but now that I like being a little more frugal I can think of better ways to spend the $30 to $40. I now take the Q bus to the subway and you can take that right to Penn Station. For $2.25, that's hard to beat unless you really enjoy spending money.

By the way, I've found in each case I've done this (4 times total) the total trip was quicker than a taxi!

But I agree it's not worth paying something like $15 a person for two for the regular airport bus instead of a taxi, which is also confined to the same traffic issues as a taxi which is about the same cost (for two).
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:49 AM

The NYC Airport Bus from LGA to Manhattan is $12 pp. one way. If you purchase a RT ticket, it's $21.

Depending on when you come, traffic can drive up the cost of a taxi, plus you have to pay tolls and tip.
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:54 AM

A lot depends on how much luggage you have and hoe willing - or able - you are to drag it on and off public transit and up and down stairs. I gave up dong that about 15 years ago -- simply not worth the hassle to save a few $. (Sorry - for a couple coming to visit NYC - unless they are very poor students - $30 is a few ).
Old May 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM

"The NYC Airport Bus from LGA to Manhattan is $12 pp. one way. If you purchase a RT ticket, it's $21."

This makes a lot of sense if your destination is walking distance from one of the few NYC Airport Bus stops. Otherwise, travelers may have the added cost of subway or taxi to reach their final destination, which may eliminate any savings for two people traveling together.
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:44 PM
yk

Did anyone see this reply earlier?

K_brklyn on Jan 26, 10 at 9:29pm Delete
There's a special on the website 2 ppl for $19, 3 ppl for $25. So it should be $38 round trip if booked online.
[TOTAL For both of you.]

Online link here: http://www.nyairportservice.com/page.php?id=81

Also, on the NY Airport service webpage: http://www.nyairportservice.com/page.php?id=31
At the bottom, it says:

Discounted rates are available for Students and Senior Citizens and can be purchased only at our Grand Central Terminal Office 125 Park Ave. (Bet. 41st and 42nd St.) every day from 9:00am to 5:00 pm.

However, I can't find on the website what the discounted fare is. If you're thinking of taking this, it's worth calling them to see what the rate is, assuming you will need to return to LGA? It doesn't seem like you can take advantage of the senior rate from LGA -> Manhattan because those fares are only purchasable from the office in Manhattan.

Anyway, assuming you need r/t service, since you can book r/t ticket online for $38 total; if the senior rate is less than $7pp one way, then you should each buy a one-way LGA->Manhattan (@$12pp), then each buy a senior ticket for Manhattan ->LGA.

I hope this makes sense.