How to get from LGA to Penn Station

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 09:13 PM
moo
Original Poster

How to get from LGA to Penn Station

Son needs to go from LGA to Penn Station using airport shuttle bus (Thursday p.m.). Looking for easiest option but not a taxi --wants a less expensive alternative. Please give specific details on where to catch shuttle at airport and then from Penn Station for return and cost Thanks!
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:21 PM

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-p...portation.html
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 04:36 AM

Whatever he does he should NOT take the Supershuttle. It wanders all over Manhattan dropping people off at various locations in some sort of random pattern - and it can easily take 2 hours to get to your destination (longer than public transit).

He needs to take one of the large coaches that goes to a single destination - Grand Central, Port Authority. If there is one to Penn Station - fine (I only take cabs so am not sure). If not he can take the one to Port Authority and then walk a short 9 blocks south (less than half a mile).
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 06:19 AM

He should take NYC Airporter bus. It stops near Penn Station and costs $13.

If he wants to save more money, then he can take the M60 bus, transferring to the 7 Train at Astoria Blvd., then transfer to the 1/2/3 or A/C/E train at 42nd St. to go to Penn Station.

Or the M60 all the way to the 1/2/3 train at 125th straight to Penn Station.

The bus/subway connection may take a bit longer than the airport bus, but it only costs $3.50 ($2.50 plus $1 for the Metrocard, which must be purchased from a vending machine in the airport on baggage claim level).

He should allow at least an hour for either trip, though it could be less.
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 07:39 AM

I've taken the MTA subway/bus, airport bus direct, shared van, yellow cab and limo to and from LGA.

If you have little to carry, the subway/bus is actually pretty good and so cheap. The M60 stops at Astoria Blvd on the N/Q line not the 7. There is no Astoria Blvd stop on the 7.

I would take the direct airport bus if I had heavy luggage to carry but if you're young and strong, not a problem on the subway.
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 12:23 PM

Sorry, that was really stupid of me. I can't imagine what I was thinking, but sometimes I type faster than I think.

The N Train can get one close to but not at Penn Station, so it's ok to take all the way into Manhattan. If there's traffic, this might still be a faster option than the airport bus, which makes several stops, but it depends on which terminal you arrive at. You really do need a Metrocard, and the only machines are in the central terminal (not Delta or USAirways).