LA - San Diego Itinerary

Search

LA - San Diego Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA - San Diego Itinerary

Does this itinerary sound good for a family of 4(2 older teenagers) for this summer for a total of 8 nights?

4 nights LA (Marina Del Rey Marriott)
4 nights San Diego (Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine)

We selected these hotels based on reading Fodors, Trip Advisors and because they offer a government rate.

In LA we plan to see Beverly Hills, Getty Center, a film studio tour and taping, Hollywood and a day at the beach.

In San Diego we plan to see the zoo, tour downtown San Diego and La Jolla, and a day at the beach.

I'm concerned that the location of our hotels works well with our plans. Any comments? Thanks.

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 09:53 AM

Daisypoop, your itinerary looks pretty good, but realize that Marina Del Rey, though perfect for the beach, is not very convenient for the other things on your list. Travel from Marina del Rey up the 405 or La Cienega to Bev Hills, Hollywood or the Valley, (where the studios are located could take more then 45 minutes each way particularly if you are travelling at any time near rush hour... for the Valley, potentially over an hour. And across the Sepulveda Pass.. YUK! It's not un-doable, but be prepared.
If you are dead set on staying near the beach, Santa Monica closer to the majority of the sites you want to hit. I would also wager that your two older teen agers will enjoy strolling the 3rd street promenade and possibly venice beach, more then the Marina, which though nice, is really a marina with lots of boats tied at docks and not much else. Also, if your trip is in June, just remember that most of the beach is cloudy during June (dreaded June Gloom).
Otherwise, I think you should be fine, your itinerary sounds doable, and thankfully no Disneyland in there!
Welcome to LA.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 10:06 AM

While in San Diego how about a day trip to Ensenada? How about Sea World?
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 10:23 AM

Does the Marriott Renaissance in Hollywood offer a comparable rate? Or the Hyatt on Sunset Blvd?
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 12:30 PM
hsv

Your choice of hotel in San Diego is pretty good IMHO. I recently stayed at the Hyatt at the Aventine, too, and really liked it.
Just so you know: There are basically two parts of La Jolla - the scenic part along the coves with its fashionable restaurants and lovely to walk streets and a more corporate part around a mall called University Towne Center (UTC). The Hyatt is in the latter part and there isn't much around the hotel except for two malls. On the positive side the Hotel is located close to the I-5 Freeway which gives you easy access to downtown (approx. 15 min.) and basically everywhere you want to go. You would need a car, though. Service at the Hyatt was very friendly and accommodating. The beds had nice duvets and this Hyatt is certainly a better option than the Hyatt Islandia in Mission Bay.
However, if your focus is set more on downtown the Manchester Grand Hyatt might be an option, too. While huge and pretty anonymous it is pretty well kept, it appears and certainly affords some spectacular views. As it usually is more expensive than the Hyatt at the Aventine, I would prefer the latter in most cases, though.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 01:14 PM

I agree with Santa Monica over the Marina. The Marriott there is very nice, but you will be commuting everywhere.
In Santa Monica, your kids can enjoy the 3rd St. Promenade and the Pier. If you can something affordable, it's a better location.
Good luck!
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think your hotel choices are fine. For L.A., let's put it this way, you are going to be driving where ever you stay. If you head out of the Marina Marriott, you can walk or ride a bike to the beach. You can also walk to the Venice canals, a lovely strolling area. You can even rent a row boat and tour the canals by boat. If you want to see a taping at Sony Studios or any other Culver City studio (many do tapings), you just get onto Washington Blvd (right around the corner from the hotel) and head east. You can even take the blue bus there.

For the Getty, you can either take the Marina (90) freeway to the 405 north, and it's 20 minutes, depending on traffic. Or go down Washington to Sepulveda, turn left (north) and that will take you there as well. For Beverly Hills, go east on Washington to Motor (where the former MGM Studios is located), up Motor to Pico (Motor runs directly into 20th Century Fox at the north end), then right on Pico to Beverly, then left, and you are in Beverly Hills.

Sounds like a fun trip!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:06 PM

We took this trip in February of 2005. We stayed in Marina del Rey at the Ritz Carlton and absolutely loved the hotel. Even though we couldn't use the pool, it was fabulous. We loved spending time walking around the marina and looking at the boats. We also travelled with our two teenagers aged 16 and 17. We didn't have a problem commuting to LA or any other place. We did spend a lot of time in Santa Monica, though. There is a lot to do there for teenagers, shopping, the pier, promenade.. etc. I think that you'll be happy staying in Marina del Rey, though.

Enjoy the trip!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the responses. After checking into other options and reading your comments We'll stay with our choices. Thanks Surgergirl for the info, that will surely help us in planning our days.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:23 AM

When are you going? Summer?

With teens in San Diego I would stay near the beach. Much more to do, more to walk to. At the Hyatt there is nothing to walk to. It is a nice hotel, but more of a business feel to me. And, you are kind of stuck. It would never be a first choice for us in SD. Other, more teen friendly hotels, IMO.

We loved the downtown Marriott on the Marina. Everything is right there, for all to do. Or Coronado. Or Mission Beach. Especially if you are there in the summer.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:54 AM
ltt

your san diego choice - basically already been said but don't expect any great view from here. it is right on the freeway. short 10 minute drive to the "downtown" la jolla, about 20 minutes to the zoo. not considering it's location, i've only read good reviews about this. the big shopping center is an easy walk from the hotel if your kids wanted to go hang out there. safe neighborhood. several restaurants within walking distance.