Maui: Westin vs Sheraton

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am deciding between the Westin (mountainview) & the Sheraton(partial ocean view)the difference is only $75 more for the Sheraton. We are a family of three, we have a 13 year old daughter. I am concerned about the crowds at the Westin, but I have heard the pool is amazing.I heard the rooms are a little bigger at the Sheraton. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:01 PM

We will be on Maui the end of March 2006 for spring break with our 12 and 14 year old boys. We will be staying three nights of 10 day trip at the Westin. Mostly for the pool and more for boys to do along the boardwalk and mall for the snorkeling, boogie boarding and surf lessons. We will take extra cell phones to give them alittle more freedom around the area. Whalers Village has great stuff and free hula and dancing shows. Lots of teens and families strolling around in the evening. We have stayed at the Sheraton (nice pool) but more laid back and quiet. Lots of adults reading around the pool...boys always felt like they had to be quiet. Lagoon type river is fun too. We are staying in Condo the first 5 nights and then off to the Westin to finish off the trip. We are staying at Westin for the water slide and designated adult and kids pools. We will still spend a lot of time in front of the Sheraton at Blackrock for the snorkeling and turtle watching. Not a long walk at all from the Sheraton to the Westin but, the Westin is more centrally located to Whalers Village and food. Great sunset cliff jump ceremony with live music at sunset at the Sheraton too. .. One more thought.. Garden view rooms are pool side at the Westin. Mountain view overlooks the golf course. Unless you get ocean front room at the Sheraton you will just have a sliver view of ocean. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 01:04 PM

We stayed at the Sheraton in March 2003 and loved it. It was my favorite place we stayed, and we saw 4 islands in 2 weeks.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:11 PM

We are also planning to be in Maui either end of March or early April to take advantage of some flight sales. We plan to stay at the Westin Maui also for all the reasons that "riggsie" has mentioned. It's a great location.

Is anyone else concerned about the weather during late March? Will there be very little sun and too much rain then?
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Decided to stay at the Sheraton. Thanks for your feedback.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 11:03 AM

yeah, smart move, keep the girl away from those boys!...just kidding, but I don't think you will be disappointed!

Belle
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Hi!
Just got back from a 5 night stay at the Westin. Really enjoyed it. I love to swim so the pools were great. In the beginning of the week there were more children which was appropriate because my son is 14. Alittle crowded by the pool but there was plenty of chairs. My daughter 18 loved it by the adult pool with the special touches of cool towels and water provided. The water slide was great. We had a great deal through a Westin deals if you go back a few months and read there is a posting that lists the phone number to call but the deal was 5 nights for $749 for a mountainview room which we upgraded to an oceanview room, great view. The room was average size nothing to brag about but with the package we got a car rental and $200 applied to our upgrade which was a $130 a night so it almost paid for itself. We also took another room for the children but we had to pay $370 a night for it. They were connecting rooms. The Westin was a nice hotel more resort feel than the Sheraton although the Sheraton looked nice and they are within walking distance of each other. I don't know what you are paying for the roms but this Westin deal makes the Westin a hands down choice.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like a great deal. I checked and the special package is not available in March. We are going over Spring Break. Glad you had a great time.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 05:36 PM

If you don't have a Starwood card, get one. (They're free). Let the Sheraton know that you are a Starwood member (before you leave for Maui and when you arrive). It often gets you a free upgrade. It always gets you free bottled water, calendars and boxes of chocolate covered macadamia nuts.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Regarding the Weather. The weather is never a problem on Maui...you can always drive to another spot on the island and find the sun! Dont just stay at your hotel..explore the island. So many great places even when it is raining. Kapalua area always seemed to have the most rain when we are there...expect of course for Hana. We always go the end of March, first of April. Kaanapali can be windy and rain in the evenings and during the night. If the weather is not great there we can always take off to another side of the island and it will be sunny. We love to sit in the hot tub right before bed in the light rain. Very refreshing and we always have it to ourselves. Kids love it and it make them sleep so good!!! I would love to hear from anyone else going in of March/1st of April with kids..So fun to talk about what fun thing family do on Maui. We never have a dull moment! We have stayed at many of the Condos and Hotels in Kaanapali. One tradition we have is...we all watch Forrest Gump the Movie the week before we leave and then have fun at Bubba Gumps showing the staff how much trivia we know.. Kids love it and the learn or see something new there every time we go!