Search

LA pros please help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2011, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA pros please help!

Hi all

Firstly thanks for reading this, I'll be as brief as possible.

I'm visiting LA for a couple of nights midweek in September. I'm used to travelling alone and just wanted to check what time public transit becomes a no-go for a lone 30ish female (central area public transport from West Hollywood/Beverley Hills/Hollywood back to Vermont/Sunset)? The latest I'd be looking to travel would be 9.30-10pm, would this be OK?

Also my schedule's getting a little tight - I was going to go to the Getty Centre, horse riding in Griffiths Park (Sunset Ranch), Griffiths Observatory and Runyon Canyon but I might have to drop one of these - any suggestions which? (I'm edging towards Griffiths observatory because of the lack of public transport up there on a weekday.)

Thanks for your time and any contributions would be much appreciated!
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 04:07 PM

I live near the Sunset/Vermont Metro and would feel uncomfortable at that station at night.I take it downtown every now and then during the day and it's fine, but at night, no thanks. I feel the same about the Hollywood/Vine stop.There is little to no police presence on the Metro.

The Getty Center is on the other end of town from Griffith Park and the Observatory. If you don't have a car you might want to think about that.

Where are you staying ? That would help us help you plan your trip. LA is spreeeeaaaad-out. As you know...
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 05:29 PM

I really prefer not to ride the Metro after dark. You will get people telling you the sheriff rides the Metro, this is NOT true.

This past Friday there was an altercation between two passengers, both a little whacko from the sound of things, resulting in a stabbing on the Hollywood Metro, and it took the cops a while to even show up.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I'm staying by Sunset/Vermont - I know the Getty Center is pretty far out but I figure I can see Beverley Hills/West Hollywood whilst I'm over that side of town.

Thanks for the advice re the Metro - will make sure I'm back at my motel before dark!
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:55 AM

When you're talking metro from Getty Center or Beverly Hills, you're talking bus. So it would depend on how close to the Sunset/Vermont bus stop you are.
I've never heard of anyone having trouble on the metro (train/subway) at night, coming back from Staples Center or theatres downtown etc.

If you're going to the Hollywood Bowl, lots of other attendees walk from the Bowl down to the metro, plenty of company for you, then you'd have a couple of minutes ride to Sunset/Vermont.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:38 AM

tracy2cents, just wondering if you've ever taken any public transport in LA yourself?

There is a distinct difference in "I've never heard of anything bad" and the perceptions of a lone female passenger at night.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:15 AM

I've only taken the subway alone after dark maybe once in ten years, the bus a few times, yes. (Or alone as you can be on a bus with a driver and other passengers).

While Angelenos will tell you that Hollywood is safe, whether or not it "feels" safe to a tourist is a different story, yes.

The recent homicide was reported as the first on the Los Angeles subway EVER, day or night. So I guess the statistics would say that it is safer riding the subway at night than it is walking the streets even during the day. FOR ME, the scary part wouldn't be the ride on the bus or subway, but the walk after you exit.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 12:29 PM

Good points. I do take the Red Line/Blue/Green Line at night, and I live in a neighborhood many would call "gritty". No you may not be killed, but you may be hassled and you may be uncomfortable (and they don't report fights and robberies in the LA times, in fact I think that if that LATimes reporter had not been on the train, we probably would not have heard about it).
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:17 PM

Hey Jackson,

Before you read my suggestions, keep in mind I am an opinionated Californian who prefers clean air and country roads to city lights and crowds although I love the artistic culture and architecture that can only be found within a city. Also, since you are a seasoned traveler, you may find some of my 'tips' to be redundant information.

I currently live in Ventura County which is halfway between LA and Santa Barbara. I lived in Playa del Rey (by LAX) when I was a flight attendant but I've always had a car in California so I'm afraid my hoofing it L.A. experience is very limited. However, I found hotel shuttles and concierge connections to be invaluable when I traveled. Sometimes you can shuttle hop from one hotel to another or from the airport to a closer to your destination hotel with a dollar or two tip to the driver. Ask your shuttle driver who they would use or how they would get there and you may find they are willing to go out of their way to get you to or closer to your destination depending on their knowledge of the area, schedule, and the hotel shuttle policy.

Many times I have found a shared or solo taxi to be well worth the money when weighed against time and convenience. Just be sure your concierge hooks you up with a reputable connection.

Because I love the freedom to come and go as I please and you can find a few good deals midweek, don't completely rule out the possibility of a car rental if you feel comfortable driving. If you choose this option, use a GPS system to get you around traffic incidents and avoid driving during rush hour or you'll be wasting your time sitting in traffic. Also, find out if and what your hotel charges for hotel guest parking. If it's anything like San Diego, parking alone can break the bank at $30.00 a day!

I wouldn't feel comfortable traveling alone in Los Angeles without a car at any time without pepper spray or a stun gun but then, past experience has made me paranoid.

As far as what to drop, that's a tough one. I'll share my thoughts but other's experiences may vary greatly.

I would definitely go to the Getty and though I haven't been to the Griffith Observatory since it's been redone, I enjoyed it in the past. However, I loved the art deco style and have no idea what it looks like now. It should be better but many times renovations can suck the personality out of a place. I hope Griffith Observatory still holds it's previous charm and would like to hear what other Griffith Observatory visitors have to say when comparing the then and now.

My experience with horseback riding in California has not been great with rental horses. The horses always seem too tired (overworked and under rested), listless, and beaten down. If you own or have a friend with horses, it's a different story. Remember too, that September sees poorer than average-poor air quality and it is hot and dusty dry.

Lastly, I'm not a big fan of Hollywood. There are many more interesting things to do here than tour Hollywood. I cringe when I hear of some family making Hollywood their vacation destination because I think it's way overrated. On one side, it's just another dirty city IMHO (in my honest opinion) and if I were to travel there with expectations of grandeur, I would be greatly disappointed. On the other side, gawking at mansions doesn't do a thing for me but it depends on what you want to see and what your 'star' gazing mentality is. To me, acting is just another job so consider that in what you make of my suggestions here.

Quite by accident, I found a website with a plethora of information on touring the Los Angeles area without a car and I highly recommend you visit this site. Whoever put it together did good job. Here is the link: http://www.garyisse.com/article-224.htm. Should Fodor's website disallow the link, go to "Top 100 Places to Visit While in Los Angeles" or GaryIsse.com.

The Los Angeles area has a great variety of interesting places to visit to suit almost anyone's taste. Enjoy your stay and don't forget your sunscreen.

Sorry for the lengthy reply.

~Deb
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is there a reason you don't want to or can't rent a car?

I'm a big fan of public transporation but Los Angeles is the one place I feel a car is really important, for convenience and safety both. LA is just a "car" city, no two ways around that.

(born & raised in LA)
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 08:09 PM

Hey, dancingdg!

Don't fret about the Griffith Observatory renovation. Basically they carefully restored what they already had and added a lot of exhibit space underground. My wife and I were there about a month ago. The exhibits are much more extensive than what they previously were and reflect how much more we know about the Universe than we did, say, 50 years ago. Of course the Foucault pendulum is still there in the main lobby. I could go on, but then this would be a trip report. Here's a description of what they did.

http://www.griffithobs.org/obsrenovation2.html
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 06:33 AM

Thanks dbdurand! Great article. Looks like it's time for the family to visit the Griffith Observatory.

This confirms it Jackson_107. Don't miss the Griffith Observatory.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 09:01 AM

It would be a shame to miss the Getty Center or the Getty Villa. Both are worth the trip, if you can figure out transportation. I agree with the opinion about Hollywood being a big disappointment, for anyone expecting glitz and glamour.

Getting a car would be the best idea, actually. The bus system is notoriously unreliable, in our experience.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 11:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Just went to the Getty Center about ten days ago. Here is my link to report with photos. Have fun.

http://www.travelswithmaitaitom.com/...ty_Museum.html

Old Aug 24th, 2011, 11:49 AM

Sunset & Vermont is pretty far east. The Getty Center is just west of the 405, beyond Beverly Hills and West Hollywood (which, as its name implies, is just west of Hollywood). The Getty Malibu is even further west, along the Pacific Coast Highway.

I agree that you should rent a car unless you plan to limit yourself to a very small area. The underground metro is very limited and does not run west of Hollywood. Buses are affected by the congestion and rush hour traffic. I am a New Yorker, but after several years living in LA I have yet to take the subway here.

In terms of safety, this is the second-largest city in the US. You should be aware of your surroundings at all times. Neighborhoods change quickly, and while one intersection is "safe" a few blocks away can be very shady. Los Angeles also has the largest homeless population in the country. As a woman, unfortunately, you must be alert at all times.

Hollywood, especially around Hollywood Blvd & Highland, has had something of a renaissance and there is plenty to do until late at night in that immediate vicinity (I like 28 Degrees at the Roosevelt Hotel). The further east you go, the 'dodgier' the environment. Some tourists find the area of Hollywood & Vine too edgy for their tastes. Also check out downtown, but during the day, for sure.

Definitely get a map and plan ahead! The biggest mistake I see tourists make is trying to do too much in one day. If the distance is just 8 miles according to Mapquest, it can still take 45 minutes to traverse the freeways. Once you work out logistics, you are in for a wonderful trip!
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 06:09 PM

Public transportation is fine in San Fransisco but as several here have pointed out, getting around in Los Angeles without a car is challenging. For your frustration and delay time on buses or the metro marathon, a car rental is worth it.

If you get a car, I'm not kidding when I say my GPS Verizon Navigator, as lame as it is, has saved me from many hours of traffic delays. Got me to the Lenny Kravitz/U2 concert after a semi-truck jack-knifed and clogged four lanes of the freeway! I highly recommend borrowing a GPS or if you own a Verizon smart phone, pay the $9.00 to activate Navigator for a month. I think they even have a special 48 hour rate.

i-Phone has a GPS app too.

Be sure you familiarize yourself with your GPS and learn how to access detours around traffic jams. Sometimes the detour is shorter than the original coordinates.

I almost forgot Dial-a-Ride. Check it out here: http://ladpw.org/PDD/Transit/Page_01.cfm

~Deb
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 09:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Don't want to be a complete debbie downer on the motel area, but is it possible to rethink the area you're planning on staying in? It's not a great area even if you have an entourage and body guard, but single and in your 30's?!

Sunset Vermont used to be primarily those rent a room by the hour areas and X rated movie theatres. There's 3 big hospitals, so lots of sirens going on all day and all night. Then there's the big Church of Scientology.

The last thing you want to do is be alone in a big city at night and have to sit in your motel room listening to sirens. Me, personally, I'd rather be in the edgy, but safer area of West Hollywood, maybe on the Strip,so there's still a lot going on, but you can walk around at night and not be so concerned about getting mugged.

Griffith Observatory is not to be missed, and it's fairly close to the Sunset Ranch (although you're saying that's in Griffith Park and I thought it was up Beachwood Canyon by the Hollywood sign, but it's been a while, so I could be mistaken as to the name.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 08:00 AM

Surfergirl is right. Fodorites can help you find an alternate place, if you want.