Reload this Page >

La Mariana Sailing Club

Search

La Mariana Sailing Club

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Maggi

La Mariana Sailing Club

I've run across an intriguing write-up on this out-of-the-way place and then saw a segment about it on the Travel Channel. Has anyone been there? It looks so kitschy it could be cool.

Old May 5th, 2002, 04:40 PM
lcuy

Maggi- are you talking about the one in Hawaii? It is quite a fun place to go with friends, especially if you want to stand around the piano aned sing. It is down on the Sand Island Access road, sort of between the recycling yards and the matson docks. It is pretty wild decor, but be warned, the food is not the reason why people come here!

Old May 5th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Maggi

Sorry, I neglected to include Oahu in my title. Yes that is the one. From what I understand, it is difficult to find and is not advertised. If not the food, what exactly, then, is the appeal of this place?

Old May 5th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Monsieur Gauguin

The appeal to La Mariana is that it's not a tourist place...and I hope it NEVER becomes that! It's just a great place to sit with friends and have some beer and some pupu's and enjoy the ambience. It's saving grace is the fact that it is difficult to find....

Old May 5th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Melissa

I didn't think the food was so bad. It's pretty basic, yeah, but it was okay. It's a great hideaway for lunch, too, but the charm comes with the dinner crowd.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:48 AM
lcuy

Maggi- I didn't mean that the food is bad; it just is average. The reason people like the place is the atmosphere..the decor is so tacky it's fun, and there really is a piano bar where everyone stands around and sings!

It really isn't hard to find, just way off the typical tourist (and local) paths. From Nimitz, about 1/2 of the way from the airport to downtown, turn onto Sand Island Access Road. Follow the road about 1 mile until just after it veers to the left. La Mariana is on the right.
You'll see a bait shop/convenience store and boats parked on the land and in the marina. If you hit the bridge, you've gone to far.

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:39 AM
Maggi

Thanks all, the Travel Channel segment interviewed the owner, who has salvaged many old Hawaiian decorations and architectural accents from hotel remodels.