La Jolla Hotel advice needed

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Jolla Hotel advice needed

My wife and I are going to La Jolla for 5 days starting Feb 10. Trying to decide between Valencia vs. Hotel Parisi. Any advice would be appreciated which hotel people prefer. Cost is roughly same.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Don't know about the Parisi

The V is right on the strip and has a fabulous view, nice pool, with much history. I guess it depends on what is important--it may be the Parisi has nicer rooms.......
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:08 AM
TahitiTams

HI..
Both Hotels are wonderful..La V is stunning..the rooms can be a little small unless you are going to pay the big bucks but I love the ambience at the Hotel and the Whaling Bar in the Hotel is fab.. it is so La Jolla.
lavalencia.com
The Hotel Parisi is right across the street and is upstairs from Victoria's Secret.. very Feng Shui and the rooms are modern and bigger..
hotelparisi.com
Also, down the street is a wonderful Hotel called The Grande Colonial.. its about a block or two away on Prospect street and it is a beautiful old Hotel.
thegrandecolonial.com
Being it is a Valentine week book now for your Valentine's reservation.
I would recommend either the Sky Room or Whaling Bar at La V...Georges at the Cove.. Nine-Ten at the Colonial or Top of the Cove..all within a couple of blocks of the Hotels mentioned.
Tapenade is one of my fav's but it is about 6 blocks away..maybe for lunch
Have a wonderful time and I wish you all the best!

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

I found out the room for Parisi is called "Parisi Apart" which is part of the hotel but across the street. Any knowledge of these rooms? The photos on website make it look too corporate... Also- I heard no view from the rooms.. is this true?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:03 PM
TahitiTams

HI..
It looks like the Parisi Apart is for extended stay and more $$.. here is the link.

http://www.hotelparisi.com/parisi-apart.html

Rates are around $350+ and it looks gorgeous and it looks like it is on the first floor of the same building.(Madonna has stayed at this hotel)
I don't know what your budget is but the Grande Colonial is so gorgeous and old LJ charm and if I remember right that room rates for a deluxe room with ocean view was around $220+..probably could get better rates maybe on Expedia or direct.
Keep us posted and Good Luck!

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

hi- thanks for your help. we have reservations at parisi-apart and at la valencia. have to cancel one by tonight. both around 315 dollars per night. i called grande colony but they said they were full. still having a hard time deciding between parisi apart and la valencia. it looks like the room (albeit two queens) at parisi apart might be nicer than the room at la valencia but it seems like there are a lot of cool places to go and hang out around the propery of la valencia whereas at parisi-apart we are confined to our room and that is it...
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:00 PM
TahitiTams

HI..
What type of room are you getting at La V? $315.00 a night should get you a nice room.. Did you call Parisi and ask what kind of room you are getting as well? They are right across the street from one another and maybe with the 5 days you will enjoy the room and the kitchen at Parisi..The weather here has been stunning and you are going to have a blast at either hotel!
If I can be of anymore help, Let me know!

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:35 PM
TahitiTams

Hi..
I forgot to add one more thing about La V.. People loiter there all the time.. I do it often and so does everyone else (in a good way).. From having breakfast out on the outside patio overlooking the cove or hanging at the Whaling Bar and can't forget having drinks at the big picture window while the pianist is seranding the small crowd.. This is such a beautiful classic Hotel.
Can't wait to hear which one you chose..

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:42 PM

A vote for the Estancia.

It's right across UCSD. Not overlooking anything great (like a beach), but the interior grounds are beautiful. Nice rooms and just a very pleasant place.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:29 PM
TahitiTams

I forgot about Estancia.. Great call.
I have not been but it has gotten good reviews.. we use to ride horses there, back in the day.. Also, The Lodge at Torrey Pines would be another great alternative..and the Hilton too..
Love the hike at the Torrey Pines State Park.. alot times with a tip back and forth in those shuttle vans works to get back and forth to downtown LJ..