La Jolla, CA Hotel Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are traveling to the San Diego area in mid October with my young daughter who will be 21 months old. Last time we visited the area, we spent a couple of days in La Jolla and really enjoyed it. I remember thinking, at the time, that if I returned, I would really like to stay in town. Another thread here recommended the Best Western Inn by the Sea. But, after reading a few reviews on TripAdvisor, it sounds kind of run down and the lobby is undergoing construction right now. Would love to hear some other suggestions (a condo hotel -- essentially, time shares that are rented out -- called Capri by the Sea, gets some decent reviews; wondering if anyone knows anything about it here). Also, if there are any great playgrounds located nearby, that would definitely be a big plus for my daughter (although, not necessarily a deal breaker)! Ideally, we'd like to spend around $200 a night (Capri is about $240).
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 07:45 AM

Capri by the Sea is not in La Jolla it is south of La Jolla in Pacific Beach. If I had to chose between the two hotels you have mentioned I would pick the BW in La Jolla, especially if you wanted to be in the heart of La Jolla and close to shops and restaurants. Pac Beach is ok if you are a college student or into party life!
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 08:10 AM

There is a perfect little place right down in La Jolla, just across from the ocean and steps from the seals' beach.
It's the Scripps Inn. It's quite small with only about a dozen rooms, a couple of which are have a separate bedroom and little kitchen. I have stayed there several times. You can easily walk up into the village, and there is a playground just a couple of blocks away. I would definitely check it out soon, as it's quite popular!
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Yes, that is a superb location too!
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely consider it. Are there any other suggestions (not trying to choose between the two hotels I mentioned; I'm actually looking for alternative suggestions, because neither is ideal -- sorry if I didn't make that clear). Thanks!
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 10:53 AM

CHECK IT OUT...MANY GOOD HOTELS UNDER $200

http://www.dealbase.com/La-Jolla-hot...-discounts-779
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Do be sure to check where hotels actually are before you book. The term "La Jolla" is used all the way up by the 5 Freeway which is several miles from La Jolla Village and the ocean.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm actually hoping for some recommendations, though. What I've found, so far, when you go to the reviews, at most of these places "you get what you pay for," as they say.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM

WE LIVE AND LOVE IN SAN DIEGO BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU SPEND YOUR TIME IN CORONADO...THIS IS A SWEET DEAL FOR A COUPLE..YOUR DAUGHTER WILL LOVE HUGE BEACH...YOUR WIFE WILL LOVE SPA...AND WHAT CAN I SAY, YOU WILL BE LOVED WAY BEYOND YOUR EXPECTATIONS ))

(YOU CAN ALWAYS DRIVE TO LA JOLLA)

http://www.dealbase.com/Coronado/Hot...-Parking-31221
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Another vote for Scripps Inn. The location is absolutely perfect. You are just steps from childrens cove (where the seals lounge) and the waterfront park above the cliff coast. You have gorgeous unobstructed views of the Pacific and the sunsets, and you hear the waves at night. The rooms are large and have maritime charm (light colors etc.).

It is a B&B, but you are in easy walking distance to La Jolla downtown with lots of dining options.

And the rates are reasonable, certainly within your budget.