COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

La Jolla accommodation (Inn at La Jolla?)

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 01:35 PM
nester

La Jolla accommodation (Inn at La Jolla?)

Staying in La Jolla for a night next week. Has anyone stayed at the Inn at La Jolla or the Scripps Inn? We're not huge beach people but would like a charming and comfortable room (we like B & B's) and also would like to be within walking distance to town for shops, restaurants, etc. We'd love to hear recommendations or an experience you've had at either place. Thanks!

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 06:58 AM
nester

I would almost think that nobody goes to La Jolla!! Please respond!

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 10:12 AM

Not sure, we stayed at the Sea Lodge in LaJolla, which I would not recommend.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 09:04 PM

Sorry I can't advise on your particular hotels, but do check a map carefully. Some of the La Jolla hotels are actually located out in an unattractive area near the freeway, an undesirable location. I think it is worth paying extra to be right in town, as you say walking distance to shops, restaurants. Sorry I can't be of more help. (I agree with poster on the Sea Lodge --- despite beachfront location, we were disappointed. Room was dark and gloomy.)
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 09:26 PM

I don't know about the properties you mention. But if you want to stay in La Jolla and be within walking distance of ANYTHING, you will need to look for properties in the "Village" area-- addresses on Prospect especially. I can recommend the Grande Colonial Inn-- right in the Village, with an excellent restaurant (Nine Ten) and comfy rooms. It's also within walking distance of everything-- great restaurants, great shopping, and gorgeous views of La Jolla Cove....
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 06:56 AM

Living in San Diego, I have not stayed at either property and I recommend that you look at the reviews on tripadvisor.com, if you haven't already done so. I agree with rjw that proximity to the "village" area is important, especially as you will only be there for one night. Scripps Inn is in a better location. You might also look at the La Jolla Inn.