La Guardia to Newark

Search

La Guardia to Newark

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Guardia to Newark

My husband and I will need to get from LaGuadia to the Newark Hilton the afternoon of Friday 9/30. We'll be "carrying on", so no real luggage issues. Any recommendations are be appreciated.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 11:08 AM

When will you be landing? How much time do you have to get to Newark? How much of an issue is cost?

If you go to this web site all the options will be listed:

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/connframlga.htm

There are shutle buses (that seemed to be $25 per person) and that claim to take 60 minutes (but on Friday PM that would be incerdibly optimistic - more like 2 hours).

You can also get a cab or car service. Cab fare depends on traffic (around $70 + tip and tolls) or try a car service to see if you can get a guaranteed rate.

Time will be about the same - but the buses only run like once per hour.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much 'nytraveler'. I will try that web site. But if I can pick your brain a bit more...we'll have lots of time. No schedule that day. We land at 1:10pm and I'd would like to keep the cost down. So what about the idea of taking a subway to the Battery and then the PATH train to Newark. Or would hassle factor be off the charts in this scenario?
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 01:12 PM

If you have lots of time and don't mind spending it on public transportation, then go for it! How much time do you actually have?
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

It truly doesn't matter when we get to the hotel. The people we're meeting won't be there til Saturday. Why, what are you thinking?
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 01:18 PM

My point is that as long as you have plenty of time and want to save money, go via public transportation is the cheapest way to go. I'll leave it to others to provide info on the best way to do it on the cheap!
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 02:45 PM

If you have lots of time and want to see a bit of the city, take the city bus right at LaGuardia, across the bridge and then 125th St. You can get off at St. Nicholas Ave and take the D train down to 34th St and take the Path Train from there over to NJ.

You might even get off the train and wander a bit around Herald Square, hit Macy's. Maybe have lunch in the area then take the train over.

By the way if you get a Metro Card the cost to 34th St will be $2pp.

Have a great time.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 03:02 PM

That plan will work if you have plenty of time. Just be aware that these are regular subways and buses (not like the JFK Air Train) - no place for luggage (except your lap or under your feet) and there are stairs to contend with. Once you get to PATH space is not such an issue.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 04:02 PM

Isn't there also a bus to Newark from Port Authority bus terminal on 42nd Street and 8th Avenue?
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:25 PM

My suggestion is to take the M60 bus to the M1 bus to the Path for $3.50 per person.
The M60 stops outside all LGA terminals and takes you into Manhattan.
Transfer to the M1 at 125th st & 5th ave.
On weekdays the M1 travels all the way to the tip of the island and you can get the Path at the World Trade Center stop. I know you said that time isn't a factor, but on a Friday afternoon this will be a looong trip. However, you see an excellent cross section of Manhattan for $2. To me it's more enjoyable that skirting the city on the interstate or missing all of Manhattan underground.
The new M60's are more spacious. Little to no problem with carry on size bags. But on the M1, unless it's a new bus, space for bags is limited as the other poster pointed out.
Buy a metrocard inside the airport. the bus only takes coins or metrocards. With the card you won't have to remember to ask the driver for a transfer (or dig up $2 in change.)

You can find the bus map on the MTA site http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf
There are many busses that connect to the M60. You may see several others that will connect you to the Path.
The only Path train that goes directly from Manhattan to Newark is at World Trade Center. If you get on the Path at any other stop, like 33rd st, get on the Journal Square bound train (not Hoboken) then transfer to a Newark bound train once you cross over into New Jersey.

You are staying at the Newark downtown Hilton right? Not the airport Hilton. If it's the airport location you will have to take another taxi/bus/train out to the airport area. The Path stops in downtown Newark.