Newark to Manhattan?

Old Jun 18th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newark to Manhattan?

Anyone know how long a ride it is from Newark Airport (EWR) to Manhattan (Times Square), and what is the best way to get to and from? Cab?
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 08:21 AM

Time: from 30 minutes to an hour(or more if bad traffic)
"Best" depends on what is most important: time, cost,convenience,--how much luggage you have, how many people, time of day, day of the week,etc.
You can take a taxi, a car service (private taxi company) bus, train.
Costs between about $15 (one person by bus or train) to about $60-70 (taxi or car service, for up to 3 or 4 people).
There have been many discussions about this here, and there is no one "best" way for all situations
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 08:21 AM

How long a car ride depedns on day of week and time of day. Early Sunday am can be 30 minutes - in traffic can esily be an hour and a half. I would not do a cab, since the meter keeps ticking in traffic - but a car service, which will give you a flat rate (plus toll and tip). check Carmel or Dial7 web site for discounts.

If you don;t have much luggage and don't mind public transit (mobbed at rush hours) you acn take the Air Train to Newark to pick up NJ Transit to Manhattan's Penn Station and then a cab - $10 or so - or the subway from there.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 08:32 AM

Car service.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
http://www.carmellimo.com/Airports.shtml
or http://www.dial7.com/airport_transportation_NY
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 08:41 AM

I fly out of Newark often and live in the HK (Times Sq. area). A cab will cost $65.00 (USD) plus tolls and tip and can take approx. 45 mins - 1 hour depending on traffic. Please note that Broadway was recently converted to a pedestrian walkway so traffic in Times Square which was merely hellish before is now horrific as well.

Two less expensive options:
1) Airtrain then NJ Transit to Penn Station (which is on 34th & 8th ave). From Penn Station you can walk underground to the A,C,E trains. Take any one of them one stop (uptown) to 42nd STreet. Voila, you are now in the heart of Times Square. The cost for the Airtrain ticket is $15.00 and a metrocard fare is $2.00. As an alternative, you can exit Penn Station and take a cab to your hotel. The fare should be about $10.00 or less.

2) There is a private bus service: http://www.coachusa.com that departs from Newark to the Port Authority Bus Station (which is Times Square (42nd and 8th). From there you can walk to your hotel, cab it or take the subway as well). A one way ticket costs $15.00 per person.

Good luck and happy travels.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

carmel says tolls not included, what can we expect from Newark to Manhattan return?
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Tolls INTO Manhattan will include the Lincoln (or possibly Holland) Tunnel. Toll is really between $6 or $8 ,depending on time of day and whether the driver has and uses the E-Z Pass system. They will generally charge you the full $8.
There is also a toll on the NJ Turnpike from the airport to the tunnel entrance. I have E-Z pass, so I never see what the toll amount is, but figure around $2 for that.

OUT of Manhattan there is no toll for the tunnel, But the company may try to charge you as they say they can't be sure they get a fare back to NYC. This is legal, but they're supposed to tell you about it in advance. Ask they very specifically how much they intend to charge.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

if i was to prebook like carmel or something (i'm in canada) what is the best and safest way (money-wise) to go about it?
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM

Just call their 800 phone number. But do check the web site to see if there are any discount coupons.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 04:55 PM

I love Carmel and use them for every trip. Just call and book the trip. They have a continual loop of cars and the closest one will pick you up at the airport. After you arrive and have your luggage call them from your cell phone and they'll tell you which door to exit and where to wait for your pickup. 5 minutes is the most you'll have to wait (and the taxi line can be longer than that). I've had some really nice cars pick me up Such a great way to get into the city.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

how do you arrange payment, like for the tolls and stuff?
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 05:20 PM

I charge the total to the credit card.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

do you charge before or after? I am completely unfamiliar with this and want to know what I am doing before I arrange it all, does charging it to your credit card include all fees, tolls, etc done in the one shot?
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM

From their FAQ -
Q: How much should I Tip?
A: Gratuities are at the discretion of the passenger. Exceptions are: Charge Accounts, 3rd Party Payments, 13 passenger Vans, SUV’s, stretch SUV’s and all Stretch Limousines are charged mandatory 20% gratuity.

Q: What are the Tolls to the Airports?
A: TO/FROM: JFK or LGA Toll is $5. TO/FROM: EWR (NEWARK AIRPORT) Tolls are $10. Tolls for roundtrip reservations are charged each way. Driver reserves the right to take best route due to traffic/weather conditions.

Q: How will my Credit Card be charged?
A: Credit card number taken at time of reserving is for authorization purposes only. Please present your credit card to the driver upon pick up. The driver will then provide you a receipt for signature. Please take your receipt and credit card from the driver. Once you totaled and signed your receipt, that amount will be charged to your credit card account.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 10:16 PM

Speakin g of credit cards...Do all NYC cabs take them now? All of the ones we caught last month (+/-10 of them)had the machines, but i wasn't sure if you can count on all cabs having them.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

if I took carmel's from EWR to Manhattan return, how much of a gratutity should I give each way?
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 04:58 AM

Drivers expect a tip of about 15%, so I usually tip $8 (or more sometimes if I pay cash and want the amount to be an even $65) from either EWR or JFK. I usually count on $65 from EWR to Manhattan on the rare occasion that I take a taxi. But a strict $8 tip brings the fare up to $62 for most of the car services.

I almost always prefer the Airtrain or shuttle bus.
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

from EWR to manhattan, $65 everything included (fare, tolls, tip)?
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:58 PM

To lcuy re NY taxis accepting credit cards:

All NYC (yellow) taxicabs are required to accept credit cards for fare payment (no matter how low the fare). That being said, there are times when I've encountered a cab where I've had to hand over my card to the driver (not something I'm particularly fond of)so that he could swipe it OR (and this just happened the other day), the driver informed me that I could not use my card to pay my fare and that I "should have" told him that I planned to pay w/a cc upon entering his cab. This is illegal. I challenged him and lo and behold, miraculously, his credit card machine worked.

If you do pay with a credit or debit card, be sure to read your statement because I've had double charges posted approximately 5 times since the machines were installed. Generally the drivers don't like it when a passenger pays w/a card because they have to declare the tip as income.

Hope that helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -