Search

La Guardia Hotel Area?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Guardia Hotel Area?

Hello All-
I am trying to decide if staying our first night of our 5 night stay in Manhattan at a hotel near the La Guardia airport would be worth saving the $300 per night as we are not arriving from CA until 10pm. Is there anything to do around the Flushing area after 10? Is there a hotel we can book near the airport with a great restaurant / bar nearby?
I know, not an exciting post.... we have quite a big 5 days planned in Manhattan and just don't want to waste the $$ if there is any sign of life near LGA.
Thank You!
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 07:30 PM

There is a hotel opposite La Guardia (across the Grand Central Parkway) and I'm not sure of its current name. Every 5 - 10 years, it changes ownership, gets refurbished - you can look it up probably on LaG's website. It's definitely a recognizable name such as Marriott, etc. There are no great restaurants or bars in hotel or area - for that you need Manhattan. You need to weigh spending the extra hotel cost on whether you think you really will go out that night - what if your flight is delayed, etc. On the other hand, with the time difference, you might be raring to go and the City is the place to be. Also, it's nice to wake up where you want to spend your day instead of fighting rush hour traffic to get into the city - that could be stressful and start your first full day off wrong.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 07:43 PM

I'd say save the $300 and stay at a hotel by the airport and if you still have the energy take a cab into Manhattan, where at 11pm lots of restaurants and bars will be swinging, especially in the Village or Times Square, then when you are ready to hit the sack, grab a cab back to the hotel, staying there overnight even with cab fare each way you are saving more than $200.

In the morning check out of the hotel at your convenience and grab a cab into the city and check into your hotel and the city is waiting for you.

Have a GREAT time while you are here.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 02:55 AM

I totally sympathize with the idea of saving some hotel money if you're arriving at 10 pm. The LGA area airports are in both Flushing and Elmhurst. There is some great ethnic food in Flushing. One option is the Sheraton LGA which is in the Chinese neighborhood and near the subway if you wanted to go into Manhattan.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._Hotel-Flushin

I think the Courtyard is the one Centralparkgirl is referring to and it does get decent reviews.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

Another option is the Holiday Inn LGA (which is in Corona) and near the subway at Shea Stadium. Reading reviews on tripadvisor, someone mentions getting this hotel on Hotwire and another mentions getting it on Priceline. Looking on betterbidding.com 's Hotwire hotel list for LGA, I don't see it though.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Jed

If you go to Priceline, you could probably get a 3* Marriott or Crown Plaza for $100 or less, depending on the date. Might be worth a try.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 10:26 AM

When are you coming to the city?

If busy season and hotels are a real issue maybe consider a hotel near LGA - but if you're plane is late you may find everything local closed.

I would just grab a cab into the City - where there are lots of places open no matter how late you get in. And it avoid all the double checking in and out nonsense.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 11:26 AM

If you would like to get the exact hotel as you want like Crowne Plaza La Guardia you can try this website, they have great price at $189 per room per night.

http://www.hotelsguru.com/showhotel-31181.html
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Flushing is terrific for Asian food; in fact, it's one of three or four "Chinatowns" in NYC. I'm not sure how late they stay open, though. Might be worth a search - or post - on Chowhound to their NYC boards!
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help!~ We are arriving October 20th and I am most attracted to the idea of booking neat the airport and taking a cab in if we need some stimulation.
Now, I know this question has been posted before, but our accomodations are not available in Manhattan until 4pm. The property has a "host" that will meet us then to give keys etc. Does anyone know of a place to check bags so we can have a nice lunch and relax without our luggage?
Would love to not have to worry about luggage... any ideas?
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 10:56 PM

Not the best idea.
Your savings will be nill.
The area around LGA is grim at night
and busy during daytime.
Cost of cabs back and forth plus
the hassle of going back and forth will wear you out.
Just get yourself to the city and see how you feel that night.
You just have to walk out of your hotel and the Big Apple is yours.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 12:46 AM

Parkside is a great Authentic (upscale but you do not have to dress up)Italian restaurant located ten minutes from LGA.Definitely worth visiting if you are staying in Queens.Call to see how late they serve.It should be open late as it is very popular.If you are flying in on a weekend i know they serve late,
Parkside Restaurant - www.parksiderestaurant.com
10701 Corona Ave, Flushing, NY - (718) 271-9871
3 reviews, directions, menu, and more »
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 03:56 AM

I'm not with Captbuzz with your additional info. If you're even thinking of going into Manhattan by taxi on the night of your arrival, it's a $30 cab ride in each direction. So if you're going to pay $60 for taxis, seems a waste of time and money to me to stay in Queens. Now adding the issue that you're staying in an apt. that you can't get into til 4 pm the next day, if there are just 2 of you, I'd book something cancelable in Manhattan and start bidding on Priceline for a hotel in Manhattan in any area. You'll have some place to keep your luggage (even if you have to check out by noon or 1 pm they'll let you leave your bags), you'll be IN Manhattan, just much better option.

The Wall Street District Hotel ($275) and the Exchange Hotel ($309) on quikbook.com are both cancelable and would be fine should you not get a Priceline room (and you may well not given it's a Sat. night).

If you still decide to stay in Queens, you could bring your luggage to the city and check it at a restaurant while you're having brunch, but I don't think you can sit having brunch til 4 pm. This problem must have occured before if your place only lets you in at 4 pm. You might want to ask whoever you're renting from (or maybe you know) whether there's a doorman in the building. Where are you staying and from whom did you rent?
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 03:58 AM

Sorry that should read I'm NOW with Captbuzz--I agree.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:45 PM

Thanks Mclaurie.