Search

LA area hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA area hotels

Looking for a hotel near/on the beach. Have been looking at Santa Monica but are there other areas/hotels that would also be nice and somewhat near LA? Not looking to pay 300.00 a night but I also don't want to stay at Super8. Any suggestions, I am not familiar with this area?
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

I am looking at the Loews and Marriott in Santa Monica right now. My understanding is that you have to cross the street to get to the beach, is that true?
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 04:41 AM
emd

Loews is on the beach. Not sure on Marriott, I don't recall Mariott on the beach and I stay in the beach hotels in SM frequently for work. Maybe the Marriott is the old Sheraton, which was on the other side of the pier from Lowes and the nicer beach hotels. If it is the old Sheraton, it is definitely across the street from the beach. The hotels in SM on the beach are for the most part chic and expensive (Shutters, Casa Del Mar, Le Merigot, all tony and $$$$) There are some less expensive hotels on the beach in Manhattan beach and Redondo, but those are a bit further away from LA (check the map). Manhattan is a few beach towns away, not really that far. But the hotels are more modest in quality. If you need to commute into LA, SM is more convenient. If you are willing to be a bit over the block from the beach, there is a nice Four Points w/a big pool. It is a stones throw from the nice places to eat around Main street and you walk straight one block to the beach, it's the same beach that Shutters, Loews, and the other upscale hotels are on. There is also a DOuble Tree across the street from the Four Points; I don't have experience w/it but a friend who lives in SM has her inlaws stay there.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 04:43 AM
jd

You do have to cross a street at the Loews but it is more like a small service street. Hotel rooms are on the small side here-okay for 2 people. Pool area is very nice.Not sure about Marriott.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 05:05 AM
emd

You are right about lowes, sorry I forgot, there is a quiet little 2 lane narrow service road to cross but then you are right on the sand.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 08:35 AM

Best Western Jamaica Bay Inn, a little south of Santa Monica in Marina Del Rey is a nice cozy choice on the water.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Le Merigot is the Marriott property, a JW Marriott which means its a fancy Marriott. It has better rates than Loews, but its beach view has been blocked by an executive suite residence building on the small service road that lies in front of the hotel. All said, a great rate at the Marriott (under $200) will get you a very nice hotel with a limited view of the Pacific. We stayed at Loews and it's lovely but the rooms are on the small side. There are very limited hotels on the beach in Manhattan Beach, but its well worth a visit even though there aren't a lot of places to stay.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Went with the JW Marriott (Le Mergiot). Our room does not have a view but it was a fairly good rate. The pool at the loews looked pretty ncie, does anyone know if the pool at the JW Marriott is nice? Still confused about where the Marriott is in relation to the beach. Can I walk outside behind the hotel and be on the beach or do you have to walk across that small road? Thanks for the info!
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 06:53 PM

the pool at the marriott is okay, not big, but with a nice lounge area. Not great for kids, fine for adults. LeMerigot is a nice property with just o.k. rooms - pay as little as possible. The "view" rooms are a joke, at least ours was. Beds are very good. For 125/150 a night its fine, more is too much, it is not a true luxury hotel, rather an upscale 3 star...