Kona Reef condo - OK?

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kona Reef condo - OK?

Hi everyone,

We have to change condos in Kona for our trip (leaving next week) as our originally scheduled condo is still under renovation.

Does anyone who has stayed there have any comments on the Kona Reef? Is it an OK place to stay (2 br ocean front)? I notice it has no a/c in the bedroom? Is this a problem?

Would Kanaloa at Kona be better (family of 4)? I know we'll be snorkeling in that area. But at Kanaloa, they don't guarantee a/c at all (first come, first serve).

Royal Sea Cliff is sold out.

Any help is greatly appreciated... I have to make the changes today.

Thank you!!
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 10:36 AM

We like to stay at the Kona Reef and have stayed there several times. We like the location for walking to downtown Kona, it is just real close to the Royal Kona Resort. The pool, hot tub and BBQ area are nice. A couple of the condos did not have air conditioning and the last one we stayed in (oceanfront) did, but only in the living room. It was not a problem. The oceanfront will get direct sun in the afternoon until sunset, but should also get the trade wind breeze. I have not stayed at the Kanaloa so cannot comment on that one.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 11:56 AM

We stayed at Kona Reef condo's a few years ago for about 150/nite and enjoyed it, the main drawback was lack of a usable sandy beach. There is a modest pool and jacuzzi and garage parking available for guests. The sunset view between the palm trees was nice from our partial ocean view condo. The 1 Bedroom condo was clean and had a full kitchen, refrigerator, TV/VCR, washer dryer, and lanai with view of pool and beach and ocean.

Since you mentioned snorkeling, a little down the road from Kona Reef you might also consider the Keauhou Beach Resort, which has great snorkeling nearby and A/C.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gloria and John. Looks like maybe we'll be OK at Kona Reef.

I would love to have stayed at the Keauhou Beach Resort for their snorkeling location... but they have double beds and we prefer queens or kings. Plus we're trying to stay in condos some of the time (we're staying in more expensive hotels/resorts for a lot of the remainder of the vacation).

I really like the looks of Kanaloa at Kona best, but don't want to stay there if we get stuck with a unit with no a/c!

Trying to make the best of all worlds!

Thanks again.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 12:28 PM

Good Luck! Perhaps you will have to visit Kahaluu Beach Park (next to KBR) for snorkeling. Some photo's:http://www.riftzone.com/kahaluu.html
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Great... thanks John! Haven't seen that link previously... I appreciate it!!

Carole